6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Carbonetic Triple Clutch (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/120695-carbonetic-triple-clutch.html)

robertp 03-07-2008 03:41 PM

I have been talking to a lot of tuners and Porsche techs and we have concluded that the best way to get a triple clutch pedal to engage during the middle of the pedal travel and not the last 1 inch is to alter the slave cylinder. By fabricating a bracket that will position the slave cylinder 1 to 2 inches away from the original position will give the desired affect I want.

The other idea is to add an adjustable master clutch cylinder. I have this one already in motion. The only problem with this method is that it will only lower the pedal which is great, but I wanted a little more.

I would like to keep the two pedals at equal height and not alter the pedal travel, but alter where the clutch actually engages. The former should do this.

What do you guys think?

Also, the clutch is starting to feel better and I think it may be a keeper. Jury is still out since I only have 130 miles on it and the manyfacture says break in is 800 miles.

onelove 03-07-2008 05:30 PM

My biggest desire would be to have a full range of clutch motion to control the clutch, The spring remove helped mine quite a bit and it's free, it brought the pedal and engagement down a bit, not at the middle, but where the middle used to be if that made any sense. It make the pedal a bit more firm, but with a triple it's like already a bit softer than stock. Let me know if you find a better solution that works.

Dr_jitsu 03-08-2008 02:48 PM

I just got mine back...clutch does not engage until last couple inches of travel. Stalled twice on the way home.

However, Tommy says that as clutch is broken in it will start grabbing more towards the middle of the clutch travel range. When it grabs, it GRABS! And it is no heavier or louder than my old Sachs set up.

Finally, Tommy gave me an absolutely FANTASTIC deal. Of course I promised to give him a deserving write up once I get the clutch broken in (after about 500 miles or so).

sharkster 03-08-2008 03:37 PM

I _hate_ the hydraulic assist and that's in combination with these "race" style clutches it makes for an unpleasant driving experience with the high hp kits. Depending upon what you have in there I'd suggest doing the GT2/Slave/Master conversion and dump the hyraulic assist crap. Yes the pedal will be stiffer. Somewhere around the GT2/GT3 and perhaps a bit stiffer (this is dependant upon the kit you put in) but the fact that it no longer engages right at the very top and can be modulated/felt makes me much more happy.

robertp 03-08-2008 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 1722675)
I _hate_ the hydraulic assist and that's in combination with these "race" style clutches it makes for an unpleasant driving experience with the high hp kits. Depending upon what you have in there I'd suggest doing the GT2/Slave/Master conversion and dump the hyraulic assist crap. Yes the pedal will be stiffer. Somewhere around the GT2/GT3 and perhaps a bit stiffer (this is dependant upon the kit you put in) but the fact that it no longer engages right at the very top and can be modulated/felt makes me much more happy.

how about just moving the slave master away from the clutch 1 inch? Won't that make the clutch engage in the middle and not at the end? I am getting better and better at working it every day. I have 160 miles on it but the clutch is still catching at the top of the pedal travel. I hate that!

So you are saying just order a GT2 Slave and clutch Master cyclinder and it will help? Do you have the part numbers?

Zippy 03-08-2008 09:21 PM

It makes for a much better driving experience. I had 1 out in last summer and really like it. The very high engagement, 1/2 inch of modulation room and light weight flywheel combo sucks. Once rolling it's fine, but horrible for in town driving. I bought a GT2/Slave/Master conversion kit and would suggest you look at it too.

roadsterdoc 03-08-2008 11:43 PM

Dr_Jitsu has a GT2 and it still engages high. Hmmmm.

robertp 03-09-2008 06:50 AM

This is why you need to make a custom mounting bracket to move the slave 1 inch away from the clutch.

roadsterdoc 03-09-2008 10:30 AM

Moving the slave 1" away from the clutch would not be a simple job without removing the tranny. If you didn't get it right, out with the tranny again. I'm looking forward to hearing about someone else doing it first.:D

robertp 03-09-2008 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by roadsterdoc (Post 1723877)
Moving the slave 1" away from the clutch would not be a simple job without removing the tranny. If you didn't get it right, out with the tranny again. I'm looking forward to hearing about someone else doing it first.:D

That is why they quoted me $1200

Dr_jitsu 03-09-2008 11:58 AM

100 miles on mine...still a PITA to drive. Hopefully it will improve.

I do not want to have to f#@! w/ the slave.

roadsterdoc 03-09-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by robertp (Post 1724020)
That is why they quoted me $1200

Lol. Is that $1200 to get it right, or just to find out? ;)

Dr_jitsu 03-09-2008 12:33 PM

That is the great thing about Tommy Bahn...he is new to the Porsche world but he charges Supra prices (IE no Porsche tax).

onelove 03-09-2008 01:02 PM

Did you guys remove the factory accumulator/assist setup when you went with the ATS ?
Tommy is a great guy, anxious to see what awaits
his personal car as well.

robertp 03-09-2008 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by onelove (Post 1724127)
Did you guys remove the factory accumulator/assist setup when you went with the ATS ?
Tommy is a great guy, anxious to see what awaits
his personal car as well.

No, my is still stock.