996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Whats the difference between fabspeed gen 1, 2 & 3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
pcar993 is on a distinguished road
Whats the difference between fabspeed gen 1, 2 & 3?

Loudness? Looks?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
I don't know about the gen1 as I have gen2 and it has a LOUD drone sound thats not very good to the ears. The gen3 from what I have read has no done and the power is reported to be as good as the gen2. Unfortunately I was two weeks early ordering the gen2 system. Had I do do it over I would have ordered the newer system John sells on this site. But at that time the Fabspeed was IMO best bang for the buck.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:21 PM
tthoang1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JWC
I don't know about the gen1 as I have gen2 and it has a LOUD drone sound thats not very good to the ears. The gen3 from what I have read has no done and the power is reported to be as good as the gen2. Unfortunately I was two weeks early ordering the gen2 system. Had I do do it over I would have ordered the newer system John sells on this site. But at that time the Fabspeed was IMO best bang for the buck.
I can confirm that the Gen 1 Fabspeed are crazy loud, but it did sound good. They droned a lot too. But it did make a lot of power and reduced a lot of weight. I would have kept it if it didn't drone so much.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
mtesh73 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by pcar993
Loudness? Looks?
both, looks and loudness.... the gen 1 has a single cannister and is a loud exhaust with high hp gains. i believe that the gen 3 is dual cannister with the benefit of the hp gains without the loudness. i also believe they made an exhaust with a loud and quiet version as well. i have a gen 1 loud probably going up to the classifieds in the next few weeks if you are interested.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:34 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Fab 1 has 100 cell cats, you can look right through them, super light single canister, loud, drones like crazy, and makes the big HP . I run the fab 1 and have took it off and tried others, but always go back to it.

It also sounds amazing when you are at WOT up on the boost......

Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I had the Gen 3. There was little if any drone. louder than stock but not too much so.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hey guys just want to clear things up about the different generations.
The Supersport Gen.1 exhaust is a single canister/100 Cell catalytics exhaust system. Very loud and aggressive and makes the most horsepower.
The "quiet" Ver. 2 Maxflo Exhaust comes with 200 cell catalytics and is a two can system. This exhaust was designed for the TipTronic/Cabriolet vehicles but can also fit a 6spd. This exhaust is suitable for enthusiasts who are content with a non-aggressive sound for their twin turbo.
The Sport Gen. 3 Maxflo Exhaust is also a two can system designed to be lighter/more aggressive for the enthusiasts who have a 6spd. This system contains less internals than the Ver. 2 and makes +5hp over the Ver. 2 system.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
hydeaway is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Joey@fabspeed
Hey guys just want to clear things up about the different generations.
The Supersport Gen.1 exhaust is a single canister/100 Cell catalytics exhaust system. Very loud and aggressive and makes the most horsepower.
The "quiet" Ver. 2 Maxflo Exhaust comes with 200 cell catalytics and is a two can system. This exhaust was designed for the TipTronic/Cabriolet vehicles but can also fit a 6spd. This exhaust is suitable for enthusiasts who are content with a non-aggressive sound for their twin turbo.
The Sport Gen. 3 Maxflo Exhaust is also a two can system designed to be lighter/more aggressive for the enthusiasts who have a 6spd. This system contains less internals than the Ver. 2 and makes +5hp over the Ver. 2 system.
Joey - I recently installed the Gen 1, I love the outside sound, it just drone a little too much for my liking around 2k rpm. I really want to keep it because of the power that it makes. If I wrap the exhaust with this ( http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...ap-p-2576.html ). Do you think it will lessen the drone??? I do like the drone if it’s a few decibels lower. Let me know what you think....

Old 03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Header wrap won't do anything, the resonance is caused by mechanical vibration. There is only a few ways to reduce it.

1. A noise canceling system - Cargraphics actually has a minor form of this, basically it adds some negative frequency to reduce the amplitude of the noise wave......impractical if you don't have a testing lab

2. Stiffen the system - It doesn't remove the drone, but it shifts it up in frequency. The reason the drone bothers us is because its in the cruising rpm range 2200-2800, so if you could move that range up a few hundred rpms you won't notice it as much. The only practical way to do this would be to stiffen the mount to the car. The clamp-on system, while quick to change out, is not very stiff. There was at least one guy wou added straps like are used on the stock mufflers, he claimed it helped some.

3. Install vortex cones - this is the most practical. This straightens out the flow to reduce the amplitude of the vibrations. This should reduce the drone up to about 50%

I'm planning on doing #2 & #3 soon

BTW, I disagree with the assertion that the Gen 3 makes more power than the Gen 1 & 2. The old school stuff have better flowing cats and a straight through design which is superior to commercial cross-over designs. All the custom big hp exhausts use straight through designs for a reason.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:38 PM
hydeaway is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Shark01
Header wrap won't do anything, the resonance is caused by mechanical vibration. There is only a few ways to reduce it.

1. A noise canceling system - Cargraphics actually has a minor form of this, basically it adds some negative frequency to reduce the amplitude of the noise wave......impractical if you don't have a testing lab

2. Stiffen the system - It doesn't remove the drone, but it shifts it up in frequency. The reason the drone bothers us is because its in the cruising rpm range 2200-2800, so if you could move that range up a few hundred rpms you won't notice it as much. The only practical way to do this would be to stiffen the mount to the car. The clamp-on system, while quick to change out, is not very stiff. There was at least one guy wou added straps like are used on the stock mufflers, he claimed it helped some.

3. Install vortex cones - this is the most practical. This straightens out the flow to reduce the amplitude of the vibrations. This should reduce the drone up to about 50%

I'm planning on doing #2 & #3 soon

BTW, I disagree with the assertion that the Gen 3 makes more power than the Gen 1 & 2. The old school stuff have better flowing cats and a straight through design which is superior to commercial cross-over designs. All the custom big hp exhausts use straight through designs for a reason.
Shark - how do you install the vortex?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i have a fabspeed gen 2
if anyone wants to trade for a gen 1 please let me know
i want something loud

Old 03-28-2008, 05:45 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
Heck I am sorry guys I must have the gen. 1 system because I know I have the 100 cell cats. I should have ordered the gen. 3 or John's setup.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM
mtesh73 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
i have a fabspeed gen 2
if anyone wants to trade for a gen 1 please let me know
i want something loud
steve, i have the gen 1 loud, i may be putting it on the market in a few weeks. let me know if you might be interested. it is definately loud.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:58 PM
momoney is on a distinguished road
i have the The Sport Gen 3 Maxflo Exhaust and love it when i get home the walls in the house start shaking and everybody knows when i am home. oh and i love how i can hear my turbo's spooling up hahaha

Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
If anyone is interested in trading my Gen 1 Tubi for a Gen 1 Fabspeed let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whats the difference between fabspeed gen 1, 2 & 3?