996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Confused and Tired.. High RPM Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
r34dy2walk is on a distinguished road
Confused and Tired.. High RPM Idle

Well, after fixing up the MAF and the Intake, and the plugs the car FINALLY ran like it should and now its doing this.

I got P0507 on the OBDII reader telling me my cars idling high. If i turn the A/C on it goes down to normal but obviously thats not the end of my problems.

When the car is boosting, it only boosts up to .7 bars instead of the 1.2. I'm assuming its a leak but I'm trying to pinpoint where the leak would be.

I've seen it spike up to 1.5 bars when changing gears which makes me feel like its not a leak but i'm just tired of it.

I've did the battery reset (disconnected negative for 12 mins), turned the car on without the maf then back with it on. still nothing. all the MAF reset did was pop up the PSM and ABS lights but that went away.

Need help soon.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Brett B is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you have a vacuum/boost leak. You can use some PVC fittings to pressurize the entire system and pinpoint all of the leaks. Search for "boost leak tester" on google to get an idea of what parts you will need from the hardware store.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
check the hoses to the diverter valves and to the Plenum. Also do u have a hose kit?

S

Old 05-06-2008, 10:10 AM
No i do not have a hose kit.

If I was to bring this to a professional, around how long would this normally take?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
couple hours easy... Check the hose to your turbo wastegate under the car. Maybe it popped off, and one turbo is boosting and the other isnt.

S

Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
It does sound like a boost leak, is there any noticeable sound difference?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned
cfi_luz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
My car did something similar when I changed out the plugs. Turned out I had not totally clicked in one of the lower IC hoses. You might want to check that. And just to let you know, i double and triple checked them when reinstalling so when everyone told me to look I thought it was a waste of time (imagine the look on my face when I saw that IC hose not totally seated)!!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk
I've seen it spike up to 1.5 bars when changing gears which makes me feel like its not a leak but i'm just tired of it.
A spike to 1.5 is not proof that there's not boost leak. Infact, it may be a symptom of the leak. Just a guess... The ECU is trying to overcompensate for the leak and leaving the wastegates shut (via N75 valve) with the compressor wheels cranking. Eventually it overpowers the leak and you get the spike.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
i'll check both of them tomorrow afternoon when its light out again and i have time...

if it was indeed a hose that popped off the Wastegate, how can i make sure it doesnt pop out again?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk
if it was indeed a hose that popped off the Wastegate, how can i make sure it doesnt pop out again?
If we are talking about the thin hose to the wastegate actuator (assuming you are still using internal wastegates here) then:
1. That hose is under vaccum, not pressure, so it is unlikely to pop off.
2. Make sure to use the factory porsche hose (that thing is like chinese finger cuffs and is a royal pain in the A*S to get off. The harder you pull the tighter it gets).

Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Highhats
check the hoses to the diverter valves and to the Plenum. Also do u have a hose kit?

S
where exactly is the plenum? checked the diverter valves and the F-Hose.

the car sounds just about the same. this all happened after my MAF went bad and i was driving. The car suddenly started to idle high. I reset my MAF again to see but no avail.

I checked the vacuum line to the wastegate but nothing. they are both seated in pretty tightly with zip ties.

for the IC hoses, without taking off the bumper, can you see this? I checked and felt around and it seems like it everythings locked in.

Where else is it likely for a hose to pop-off during a hard acceleration?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Brett B is on a distinguished road
Purchase/assemble a boost leak tester such as this one (no affiliation):
http://www.boostpro.net/prodz32tester.html

Plumb it in just before your MAF (or wherever is convenient) using a rubber hose adapter from the hardware store if needed.

Pressurize your intake system to 15-20 psi, and the leaks will all uncover themselves. You won't have to guess or search for likely spots that could leak, you just listen/feel for the leaking air and fix as needed.

This is something every turbo owner should do after playing around with the plumbing.

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I guess I'll call the shop that did my plugs to see if they fiddled with my IC piping.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM will become famous soon enough
Hi....... Sounds like you sould look after T/B as the idle is runing up..... Check line to FPR they sometimes come off at the plenum. Tim

Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned
cfi_luz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
To use those boost leak testers above, wouldn't you have to cap off the inlet from the turbos? Otherwise pressurizing the intake system would just go right out through the compressor wheels?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Confused and Tired.. High RPM Idle