996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch feels weird, not smooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
What else??

As you grow into the car and increase your driving skills, I'd expect you to want to COOL the fluid in the trany. Youll eventually KILL the tranny by overheating the fluid. I think you should talk to Kevin, or the guys at Douherty.

The mod Tom Kerr did to his car is absolutely what should be done to every 996TT tracked at or beyond the "blue run group" level if you don't ever want to rebuild that trans!

Mike

Old 10-16-2008, 05:30 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I see all the cheap auto tranny coolers and spending 2+k on a cooler just seems nuts.....but, the fluid is a lot thicker in a manual tranny or so I have been told. Here is the 100pt question: how do you pump the stuff reliably...?

I can get all the parts together for 500 or so it seems, best of breed perhaps.....it seems like a simple job if you have a lift/expertise...save getting metal shavings INTO the tranny if you tap it...so, the time to have done a cooler was when I had the unit apart.

For my part, that will be evaluated in time. Now, I am not good enough to need such. I'll change fluids after every other DE weekend or at 15k mile points. Leftecknic sells Delvac for 50$ a gallon....the way to go IMHO.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Jeff, If you're doing a couple of events per year, that's fine... If you're doing a couple a month, for 6 months out of the year, then you'll need to upgrade...

Mike

Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I fully agree....a cooler is something I want a lot...but I have to prioritize...2k is my estimate for a good unit that is bulletproof (to my standards)....like the on by S-CAR-GO posted here many moons ago.

That was a nice unit IMHO.

Now, there is tape or paint you can get to tell you how hot brakes get. It would be interesting for someone to get that stuff, put it on the tranny in various places, and report back....how hot does the thing get?

JB

Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 PM
chucky0431 is on a distinguished road
Guys thx a lot for the great info on the replies. I tried pumping my clutch and it does gets a little harder with time but didn't get rock hard at 25. Will try it again after letter the car sit for 2 days. Just found out I need new tires hehe so I can't drive her. I'll be willing to do a GT2 conversion on the car. Will try and get more info onto that. If changing it back to stock and waiting or it to happen again, i'll go for the extra few pennis.
And I assume you need a life to work on the car while changing this?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 AM
There is discussion about removing the tranny to do this particular mod, but Im' not sure, since I've been told and read here that you had to remove axles and starters and such to do the hydraulic slave, and I didn't have to do any of that...

I'd not do a slave replacement on hack stands... That would be a royal PAIN IN the ****!

Mike

Old 10-19-2008, 07:17 AM
DAS felt it was 3-5. PorschePhD told me 5 hours for a first time try by an experienced person, less for SK obviously...by a lot.

Guru is likely 3-4 (SK). DAS will likely be 4 hours. FYI. Tranny comes out. Nothing else.....and perhaps not "all the way out..." GT2 goes in on 11/21. I'll report back.

I'd love to do a cooler, but there is a lot of FAB work according to Bill at DAS. IF someone had a kit to do it pre-made, I'd be all over that. Anyone know of a tranny cooler "kit" where it is bolt on?

JB

Old 11-08-2008, 08:49 AM
chucky0431 is on a distinguished road
Just an update, my accumulator and slave cylinder.
First impressions, holy crap I didn't know the clutch can feel so smooth "watery". It's so much easier to drive and change gears now. Also with this change, I added the evo short shift, and it feels so good to change gears now. Really precise.
Thx fort he tips on what my problem was, took the mechanic about 3 hrs to do it.
Again thanks a lot.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Glad we could help!

Mike

Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I had to bring this back up...I wouldn't say I have a major issue with my slave but it feels like half way down the pedal it has a little hesitation until I push through it to the floor. Is this the same issue? The pedal isn't too hard or anything, it feels like it needs a little grease, lol.

So what part number do I want GT2? How much is it exactly through the sponsors on the board?

Old 12-03-2016, 06:00 AM
Graham Whiteley is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you found the issue?

Originally Posted by LamboTT
I had to bring this back up...I wouldn't say I have a major issue with my slave but it feels like half way down the pedal it has a little hesitation until I push through it to the floor. Is this the same issue? The pedal isn't too hard or anything, it feels like it needs a little grease, lol.

So what part number do I want GT2? How much is it exactly through the sponsors on the board?
i have the same issue with my 2.7 Cayman, I depress the pedal then 3/4 the way down it takes a little extra effort to depress it fully. Does anyone know what the issue is?

Old 12-05-2016, 02:44 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
on my car it was accumulator - I replaced it on my garage floor, a bit of a pain but not bad. lol

it was hard to press. I also have clutch slave cylinder and slave cylinder as spare , just in case.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
the 987 shares the same preposterous hydraulic clutch assist system as do our beloved 996 turbo's?!

oh, what a lucky guy lol