6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Please Help: another PSM/ABS failure thread... (yes, I used search already) (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/151139-please-help-another-psm-abs-failure-thread-yes-i-used-search-already.html)

flash68 11-10-2008 10:10 PM

Please Help: another PSM/ABS failure thread... (yes, I used search already)

So, after reading through all the pertinent threads I could find, I have a question for some of the resident experts here and others who might have experienced this.

I have the ABS/PSM failure popping up very inconsistently.

Sometimes it happens soon after I start the car. Sometimes it happens after I driven 30 miles or more continuously.

I checked for the brake light switch deal and all 3 brake lights do come on - although someone on here said that doesn't necessarily rule that out.

The car runs fine to me - I do not notice any loss of power, rough idle, etc.

I did take it to my mechanic who cleared the code and scanned it. It said right front sensor, so he switched that sensor over to the right left side to see if the code would show it moved next time or if it still said right front. The failure showed up again and it still scanned as right front.

He proceeded to check all wiring from the front right back to the ABS/PSM control unit. Everything checked out so he thought the next logical step if the code came back on would be to replace that unit. But that freakin things costs $2800! So I get back in and drive the car for 6 consecutive days and over 200 miles and the error doesn't come back! So I think all is well until today when it came on again just cruising down the freeway at about 75. Hmmm.

Doesn't seem to follow what anyone else experienced. Should I just tackle all the small things first and see if they cure it?

1) brake switch
2) sensor
3) MAF
4) ?

I just hate to throw $2800 at that damn part and not have it be the problem. Plus I have yet to see any of the couple dozen on here report that was the solution to their problem.

Sorry for the length, and thanks for the help in advance.

art4iza 11-10-2008 10:16 PM

Mine does the same thing. I will keep you posted on what happens. I am sure after you turn off the car and turn it on again, the CEL is gone but returns again. right?

flash68 11-10-2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by art4iza (Post 2129740)
Mine does the same thing. I will keep you posted on what happens. I am sure after you turn off the car and turn it on again, the CEL is gone but returns again. right?

Yep, sure does. And the fact that it went Wed to today not coming on baffles me even more.

Are you having someone look at it right now?

art4iza 11-10-2008 10:23 PM

I will check it out tomorrow and let you know. Your options are correct listed above, hope it will be an easy fix for all of us.

Turbo Fanatic 11-10-2008 10:46 PM

MAF is what you need

kilrgt 11-10-2008 10:47 PM

Yea sometimes its hard to trace a intermittent problem like that.I say before you spend BIG cash on it, see if you can borrow a known good MAF.If thats not possible I say replace the MAF and go from there, lets be honest these cars eat them anyways so its not a bad idea to have a spare..

art4iza 11-10-2008 10:50 PM

It not always the MAF, I am running a 1000HP Hitachi MAF on my car. I will keep all posted.

flash68 11-11-2008 12:48 AM

Yes, it could be MAF I guess, but how can these cars run fine as usual with a blown MAF?

And I forgot to mention my mechanic's other idea is to run a wire directly from the ABS unit to the right front speed sensor and see if that fixes it. That was his idea when I told him I didn't want to replace the $2800 unit unless we knew 100% that was the prob.

flash68 11-11-2008 01:20 PM

After seeing in another thread guys with identical issues/codes as far as I can tell, we are going to install a new harness ($117) on Friday and see if that does the trick.

MikeR 11-11-2008 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by flash68 (Post 2130586)
After seeing in another thread guys with identical issues/codes as far as I can tell, we are going to install a new harness ($117) on Friday and see if that does the trick.

The symptoms were exactly the same in my car, always the right side. Have the tech cut open the right harness, right where the harness goes through the body of the car. It will look fine on the outside but the wires will be broken.

I found out too late, I replaced the abs control module and other associated updated parts. Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty because the bill came out to roughly 5k.

One theory a couple of techs had, the car is lower (mine is lowered) thus increasing the tension and crimping the harness at the entry point into the car.

flash68 11-11-2008 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR (Post 2130791)
The symptoms were exactly the same in my car, always the right side. Have the tech cut open the right harness, right where the harness goes through the body of the car. It will look fine on the outside but the wires will be broken.

I found out too late, I replaced the abs control module and other associated updated parts. Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty because the bill came out to roughly 5k.

One theory a couple of techs had, the car is lower (mine is lowered) thus increasing the tension and crimping the harness at the entry point into the car.

So you're saying a new harness is not necessary? and just to replace/repair the wires inside?

I thought aftermarket warranties do not cover ABS/PSM control units. The one I am looking at does not. Which coverage do you have? And do you ever get any flack for the big power mods?

thanks

MikeR 11-11-2008 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by flash68 (Post 2130890)
So you're saying a new harness is not necessary? and just to replace/repair the wires inside?

I thought aftermarket warranties do not cover ABS/PSM control units. The one I am looking at does not. Which coverage do you have? And do you ever get any flack for the big power mods?

thanks

I bought the new harness, after the first one was confirmed to have broken wires. Hopefully this one won't break. I have Mercury, it was part of the deal when I bought the car. So far no issues with claims, but they have sent adjusters to review the warranty claims prior to accepting coverage.
They did not cover the clutch pressure accumulator, no parts of the clutch system are covered.
So far the power mods have not been discovered or they just ignored them. They have made comments about the suspension though, according to one dealer that I refuse to work with again, but this last time no comments were made with the indy shop that did the work.

Good luck with your repairs.

flash68 11-11-2008 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR (Post 2130972)
I bought the new harness, after the first one was confirmed to have broken wires. Hopefully this one won't break. I have Mercury, it was part of the deal when I bought the car. So far no issues with claims, but they have sent adjusters to review the warranty claims prior to accepting coverage.
They did not cover the clutch pressure accumulator, no parts of the clutch system are covered.
So far the power mods have not been discovered or they just ignored them. They have made comments about the suspension though, according to one dealer that I refuse to work with again, but this last time no comments were made with the indy shop that did the work.

Good luck with your repairs.

Thanks Mike.

art4iza 11-12-2008 09:43 PM

Any news? I can not run my car yet, I have to fix my clutch. Let me know what happens.

flash68 11-12-2008 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by art4iza (Post 2133185)
Any news? I can not run my car yet, I have to fix my clutch. Let me know what happens.

I am taking it to my dealer at noon on Friday. We are replacing that front right harness.