996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: Fitment of my MISHA Techart style front bumper

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
DIY: Fitment of my MISHA Techart style front bumper

When I bought my 996TT, I knew I was going to change the front to a more aggressive look so it was either the GT2 or TA front. After deciding to go the TA route, I tried to find threads about fitment of all the different replicas but didn't find much in the way of "before" and "after" pics. However, this is a very good an informative thread

I called Misha and spoke with the man himself and he was a very nice and knowledgable guy. I learned that he does not personally make the kit but he has a contact that sells it and he is a seller of the kit, in a sense.

I also spoke with Tony Ugas, owner of PP and he was a very nice fellow too. Quick to answer emails and very informative.

My choice to purchase my front came down to MISHA and Precision porsche ("PP"). I've seen a few (ie. highcard and smokinextreme) that had PP's front that looked very nice in terms of fitment and quality. I also know of a couple of people (mainly Turbo Mike) who has the MISHA kit and it came out very nice. I opted for MISHA's b/c his kit was cheaper ($1180 vs $1700) although the bumper kits were packaged a little differently.

Here's the breakdown,

Precision Porsche
Top air intake grill
Bumper cover
radiator ducts/covers
splitters for radiator covers
small lower lip
Price: $1855 shipped

MISHA
Top air intake grill
Bumper cover
radiator ducts/covers
small lower lip
large lower lip
Price: $1180 shipped

Disclaimer: I am not in any way discrediting PP or promoting MISHA. I am simply a simple guy helping out the 6speed community on my research and my decision to go MISHA.

I placed in my order with MISHA and was told the $1180 was a GB price but he upheld it anyway (nice gesture). The bumper was shipped out within a week as promised and arrived timely at my house.

Here are the pics

Bumper arrived via freight in a big, nicely padded box

Passenger side...not bad

Driver side

Larger lip fitment

Small lip fitment....pretty disappointed here

If I squeeze the sides in, this is how much it pops out

Last edited by M32; 11-12-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future

Thickness (or thiness?) of the lips

I will recommend reinforcing them with fiberglass, which is what I'll be doing

Imperfections in the radiator ducts

Once again, these are fiberglass peices and they need some "finishing touches". If you expect to get a kit that all you need to do is paint and bolt on with no prep work, this kit is not for you.

More pics tomorrow when fitted

Edwin

Last edited by M32; 11-12-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
before you go any further, would you mind taking measurment of the clearance you have with the stock bumper and then take the same measure with the TA bumper with either small or big lip? That would be helpfull as i haven't seen anyone able to provide that measure.

thanks for sharing your experience

Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 AM
M32
Originally Posted by pumalex
before you go any further, would you mind taking measurment of the clearance you have with the stock bumper and then take the same measure with the TA bumper with either small or big lip? That would be helpfull as i haven't seen anyone able to provide that measure.

thanks for sharing your experience
Good point. I can do that but keep in mind that my car is lowered already... but I guess that should not matter

Edwin

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
Edwin, you MIGHT want to discuss with your body shop a textured spray underneath or something that I have been considering, a skid plate of some sort. I am still working on the idea because I found even when very careful you get into spots where it will scrape.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M32
Good point. I can do that but keep in mind that my car is lowered already... but I guess that should not matter

Edwin
it doesn't matter since what i want to know is the difference in clearance between the stock and the TA, not really the clearance per say but the difference between both. How lower is the TA bumper.

And let's face it, everyone that adds a bumper or modify their car, always start or end up lowering it so...

thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Great thread. So what is the deal with the two different lip spoilers? Are they used together or just two different options? The one I saw looked like one piece. The other TA bumper I have seen had no spoiler and looked great without it.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
If I do this upgrade I think I will go with precision porsche.. I like the splitter look myself...

Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM
M32
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Great thread. So what is the deal with the two different lip spoilers? Are they used together or just two different options? The one I saw looked like one piece. The other TA bumper I have seen had no spoiler and looked great without it.
Chris,

They are used separately. Here's a pic of the large lip

and here's a pic of the small lip... you can see it if you look closely

Originally Posted by boca996tt
If I do this upgrade I think I will go with precision porsche.. I like the splitter look myself...
You can buy the splitters from someone here for $250. I too like the splitters but I prefer the functionality of the radiator ducts

Edwin

Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Chris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to behold
very nice edwin!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
My "big" lip lasted all of three weeks!!!! Love the bumper itself though. I had my guy fill in the sides and french in the "manta ray" corners.

Great product, great price

Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
M32
Originally Posted by Chris S
very nice edwin!
Thanks Chris. Hope you can sell your car soon!

Originally Posted by $manager
My "big" lip lasted all of three weeks!!!! Love the bumper itself though. I had my guy fill in the sides and french in the "manta ray" corners.

Great product, great price
Haha.. do you have any pics of yours? Did you get yours from Misha?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:19 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
how does the splitters differ in the functionality vs the radiator ducts style?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
M32
Originally Posted by boca996tt
how does the splitters differ in the functionality vs the radiator ducts style?
I don't think the splitters do much other than looks. The radiator ducts do just that... it channels the wind into the radiator.

Edwin

Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 PM
M32
Update:

Tonight, we test fitted the bumper and tried to install the ducts and see how difficult it really was. Here’s what happened:

First we took off my stock bumper to test fit the TA bumper

Here's how the oem ducts look

and upon closer inspection... trash

yuck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Fitment of my MISHA Techart style front bumper