996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Factory Short Shifter Part Number and Best Price for Part?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
Factory Short Shifter Part Number and Best Price for Part?

I want to put a SSK in my Porsche and I heard the Porsche OEM shifter is the best one everyone recommends. Where can I purchase one of these and what is the part number?

Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Don't quote me on this, but I pretty sure the Porsche short shifter is made by B&M and is identical to the B&M short shifter. The Porsche unit is nearly $500 and the B&M is $275.

I have the B&M in my car and absolutely love it. Some people complain of notchiness, but I don't have a problem with it. It seriously cuts down the throw between gears, and gives a reassuring thud when in gear.

Many here have started using the OEM 997 non-short shifter as an upgrade to the stock 996 shifter. Apparently it's shorter than stock, but not as short as the B&M. It's also smoother than the B&M, so if you don't like the B&M, this may be an option. It's reasonably priced at $175.

Suncoast sells all 3, so that would be a good place to look.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:06 PM
TKTB8 is on a distinguished road
B&M short shifter

Eric at Bumperplugs.com is selling the B&M for like $175 now. I think his product page shows it at $199 and click add to order and the price comes up $175.00.

Steal at that price!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:24 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Adam put it quite nicely! B&M here for 4 years...love it.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
i have the 997 shifter its not as short as the b&m... its very smooth and much shorter than the 996 and its a direct replacement no mod to install it

Old 11-22-2008, 11:00 PM
jakeskiny is on a distinguished road
I use the B&M and have for 4 years. I've never had a problem with it and I love it. Short and precise... shifts are a little notchy and others have told me that it slows the shift speed (i.e. the time that it takes to move the lever from gear to gear) down a little. They are probably right but it's never bothered me. To be sure, I would try to drive a car that has the modification that you are considering before doing it.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:51 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
The install for the B&M as opposed to the 997 is very different- the 997 shifter has the complete mechanism and is a bolt in replacement. The B&M requires some 'destructive' disassembly as I recall.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
I was reading the B&M shifter could be the cause of the 2nd gear popping out issue and others were saying it could not happen with the B&M part.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:07 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
my car had the B&M short throw on it when I bought it. I've driven stock and now recently drove a 997tt stock shifter in a 996tt. I will be removing my B&M and be putting the 997tt shifter on very soon. Yes I will be selling my B&M...

Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think the ss is the cause of second gear pop-out. The reason for the popout is the design of the syncro teeth given a tiny little bit of metal to hold you. I am sure missing a gear hurts things...but the shifter is not the muscle mass moving the unit.... One cannot force shifts in any car.

Forcing is dollars...think of it that way.....

I have the ssk OEM as a factory option. IF one adjusts it just right, the ssk is superb. I suspect the majority of issues are due to poor installation(s).....it is apparently not a simple thing to install pefectly. It is simple to diy, but not "just right"...that is a race shop mechanic probably (what I did....after the 2nd gear popout in my car was fixed....it is silky smooth...better than any honda I have ever been in...ever....or BMW, or alfa if you have been in Europe...alfa's are nice shifters IMHO).

JB

Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
mine has never had the 2nd gear popout...yet (knock on wood sound here!!), I just don't like the "notchiness" of the shifting. I had a short throw shifter in every stick car I've owned and none are as bad as this car. I've heard that the short throw does somewhat enable the 2nd gear popout in that it doesn't allow the synchro enough time to "slow down". sounds plausible...I just drove a car with a 997 shifter and I can shift that car just as fast as mine. I think it's bacause of the ease of getting thru the gates smoother. I have a hard time getting into third when I shift "aggressively" like at the track. (and when I say aggressively, I mean aggressive for a 996tt!)

Old 11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
To clarify several points above:

1. The B&M install requires NO destructive disassembly
2. B&M makes the OEM shifter
3. The second gear pop-out is not related to the B&M or any other shifter...it is a design/mfg. defect (there have been reports that Porsche will deny warranty claims if aftermarket equipment is in the car, though I know of none myself)
4. If the B&M (or any other shifter) is installed improperly, you will get notchey shifts...if installed correctly, no notchey shifts.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 AM
What makes an "improper" install for this shifter? What to look for? If I can check mine and "fix" it, that will save me about $175 and an hour of my life!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:08 AM
It has to do with the cables on install....start here

Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
To clarify several points above:

1. The B&M install requires NO destructive disassembly
Huh. Really?

Here is the B&M shifter:

Here is the 997 Assembly:

I'd always read that you need to cut off the white plastic bushings that hold the shifter in the black housing to install the B&M.

I will also add that the green clip above on the 997 shifter is the alignment tool. It holds the shifter in neutral: get the shifter to neutral, clip it on the old shifter, disconnect. When you install the new shifter the clip holds the new shifter in the same position so you don't loose alignment. At least that worked for me.

No dog in this hunt for me- it's like oil: the one you are using is "best". The variations between shifters is, I think, slight- indeed the biggest issue is likely install and maintaining linkage adjustment.

A

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory Short Shifter Part Number and Best Price for Part?