996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: Precision Porsche Techart rear skirts install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
DIY: Precision Porsche Techart rear skirts install

After getting MISHA's Techart bumper, I decided to get Precision Porsche's techart rear peices to see how they fit.

Here's the details:

Precision Porsche techart style rears includes:

Left skirt
Middle trim piece (some companies do not include the middle piece so make sure you ask if they do or not)
Right skirt

As I always do before I purchase a replica kit, I asked around with people that had bought this kit and asked about the quality of fitment. Two people told me that one of the rear skirts had to be "trimmed" b/c it stuck out too much so I was prepared to spend a few hours trimming and fitting to get it sit right.

Here are the pics:

First we installed the left side skirt
First impressions: Nice fitment... we did no trimming at all and just put it in place.

Not bad at all...sits really flush. I guess this isn't the bad side.

Here's where the sides meet

...but if you push down as you will when you tape/glue it and add a screw, it should look like this

Only problem area is this:

The bumper has a rounded edge while the skirt has sharp corners. Not too bad but something worth mentioning

Couple more fitment pics

Old 12-09-2008, 10:34 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Onto the right side

Initial test fit

Not bad… hmmm…

This was probably the aforementioned problem area. After examining it, my friend got the grinder and went to work.

The main problem area was there was too much fiberglass buildup in the corner which wasn’t allowing the piece to sit flush with the bumper so he chiseled it away and this is the final product

He also trimmed the lining a little

I don’t have any after/final pics of the right side but it’s flush now and much better.

Onto the middle piece…which was pretty uneventful

Test fit:

How the corners lined up

We did clean up the back a little of the middle pieces.

Funny thing… we spent less than 30 minutes cleaning up the pieces and fitting. I was semi-shocked/relieved when he said “ok, it’s ready for paint. That was easy”

My thoughts:

After the MISHA front bumper, I was concerned about fitting these fiberglass pieces but I was also very interested in seeing how the fitment of Precision Porsche pieces compared to MISHAs. Now I know that it’s not an apples to apples comparison (front bumper vs rear pieces) but one thing I can tell you… I am pleasantly surprised and am glad that it didn't take much at all to get ready.

Going into paint this weekend…will post pics of the finished product.

Edwin

Last edited by M32; 12-09-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
awesome! I love these write-ups! Unfortuantely, I need to spread rep points before i can give them to you again! LOL!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:32 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Howmuch was it? I like that I'm not the only one messing with my own bodywork

Old 12-10-2008, 06:57 AM
M32
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
awesome! I love these write-ups! Unfortuantely, I need to spread rep points before i can give them to you again! LOL!
Thanks for the initial rep points

Originally Posted by adam699
Howmuch was it? I like that I'm not the only one messing with my own bodywork
Adam, Precision Porsche sells the rear set for $450

Edwin

Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Edwin, awsome post and pictures bros +1 rep for you

hey Adam if you're interested in the rear set (3 pcs) I have a few sets in my garage that i'm willing to sell for less

and Edwin, just for thought, when your bodyshop does the install, make sure they screw in the rear center piece with some screws. i think mine was 3M taped before or glued and it actually fell off at a run without me knowing

Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 AM
M32
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
Edwin, awsome post and pictures bros +1 rep for you

hey Adam if you're interested in the rear set (3 pcs) I have a few sets in my garage that i'm willing to sell for less

and Edwin, just for thought, when your bodyshop does the install, make sure they screw in the rear center piece with some screws. i think mine was 3M taped before or glued and it actually fell off at a run without me knowing
Jason,

Thanks for the rep bro. Yeah, I spoke to my guy and we are going to use rivets on the sides.

Edwin

Old 12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
SlimJim is on a distinguished road
Car is coming along nicely...thanks for the write up!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Great writeup, bro!! Really appreciate you doing these...+1 rep for you!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:21 AM
M32
Originally Posted by SlimJim
Car is coming along nicely...thanks for the write up!
Thanks

Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Great writeup, bro!! Really appreciate you doing these...+1 rep for you!
Thanks for the rep Adam.

I should have the car done by this weekend so I can FINALLY take some "after" pics

Edwin