996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire Talk - DOT Approved Track Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Tire Talk - DOT Approved Track Tires

Tires are always a good discussion. Some of us have used only 1 brand, some of us have tried multiple, and some of us dont know what a tire is! Since high horsepower cars are always the center of discussion along with road racing, I wanted to take the time to breakdown the different DOT approved track tires out there.

So please, read, compare, and share!

Toyo RA1
This is probably the most common DOT approved R compound tire seen at the tracks. I have personally used the RA1 back in my EVO VIII days. The RA1 has a good stepped tread pattern. This tire is soft but durable and its optimum operating temperature is 200F. When hot after some laps, the tire pressure should be around 35 - 40 psi. When I personally ran this tire, I noticed that they performed better after about 2 track days. Many guys will have them shaved down for immediate use. My dislike of this tire as I felt it was almost to hard. The largest size is 18 inch.

Toyo R888
The R888 is Toyo's new DOT approved Competition radial. Its V shaped tread design gives it improved dry weather handling. The wider tread pattern and stiffer bead construction help the R888 generate more cornering force with less degradation. Shoulders of tires are semi slick which help improve steering response. The continuous center contact patch helps improve braking characteristics compared to the RA1. Operating temperatures for this tire are similar to the RA1 at 200F and hot tire temps at 35-40 psi. I have personally never run this tire and have no experience with this tire. These are available up to 19inch.

Nitto NT01
The Nitto NT01 is Nitto's R compound dry radial tire. The tire was developed with weekend racing in mind and its characteristics consist of a good balance of traction, consistency, heat cycle performance, and longevity. I ran the NT01 on our turbocharged Mazda RX8 that was featured in American Touge 2 and our 240SX time attack car. This tire really does last long. I felt this tire was comparable to the RA1 but slightly softer. Though they were run on 2 different cars, this could be the affects as well. The balance of the tire with a dial suspension performed well. The large continuous shoulders of the tire give it a good contact patch for enhanced cornering and braking. Nitto does not show the operating temperature or psi. This tire largest size is 18inch.

Michelin Pilot Cup Sport
The OEM tire on the GT2 and GT3. Probably the best tire next to going with a full slick from Hoosier. I ran this tire on my 996TT which I tracked quite a bit. Comparatively on this car I also ran Pirelli PZero and Michelin PS2. For the track, the Pilot Cup is amazing. It has very long life to it. Its performance for the 996TT was over the top and it handled well in all condition. This tire is about 2x more then the above listed.

The Pilot Cup is another DOT street legal competition tire that offers extreme cornering grip and consistant lap times. An asymmetric tread design utilizes a semislick outer tread and a wet-styled inner tread design to help deliver powerful wet and dry cornering, promoting high performance confidence. This tire is a Y rating and slightly softer then the Toyo and Nitto with a tread wear rating of 80. No temperatures or PSI listed by Michelin. When I ran these on my 996TT my fronts were cold at 30 and the rears 32 psi. This tire is available up to 19inch.

BFGoodrich G-Force R1
This is a newer R compound on the market. I have not used this tire. It comes ready at 4/32nds and no shaving is required. Because of the tread thickness, minimal breakin is required. The G-Force tread compound is DOT approved and designed to give you lap after lap superior cornering and grip. The tire is symmetric and non directional so you can use this on any wheel and even rotate them side to side. They have the built in rim-protector which adds a lip to protect from any potential of curbing. The tire has 2 full width steel belts to prevent any distortion to the tire under high acceleration, braking, and cornering loads. This tire is available up to 18inch.

Advan A048
The Advan A048 is for drivers that compete in autocross, road racing, and club events. Developed from Yokohama Racing, its sizing is oriented to the Porsche cars. The DOT approved tire is best in dry weather. Its tread depth is 6/32nds and can be shaved to 3/32nd or 4/32nd for best performance. Its single block tread design increases stiffness and the wide center gives constant contact to the ground for improved braking and cornering. As the inside shoulder of the tire wears from cornering, the symmetrical tread design allows the tires to be remounted inside out for longer tire use. I have not used this tire but have heard great things about the performance.

Now for YOUR input!

Old 12-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've used a bunch of DOT tires over the years, and although they are very expensive, the MPSC seems to be a great value for the money on a well tuned suspension.

I would expect a well tuned track car to get 8-10 track days out of a set on an intermediate/advanced driven 996TT!

Mike

Old 12-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Great post, Dan!

I'm curious, though...what R-comp tires would work with my AWD TT on 19" wheels? I checked the sizing on the R888's, and they don't have sizes that will work with an AWD car.

Any ideas for me??

Old 12-23-2008, 08:16 PM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
I am currently on Pzero Corsa (not System) .. any comments on the performance? Thinking of switching to something more affordable because Tokyo truly sucks and I am finding too many nails in my tires.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
R888 doesn't do it for me like the RA-1s. And for the street I've never heard a noisier tire! Even on the track I just seem more comfy with the RA-1 or PSC.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
+1 on the R888 - really loud tire for the street. I dont think I would run these on a daily driver except the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup.

Adam - They have the sizes - http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/30029.pdf
235/35/19
305/30/19

Old 12-24-2008, 09:20 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
+1 on the R888 - really loud tire for the street. I dont think I would run these on a daily driver except the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup.

Adam - They have the sizes - http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/30029.pdf
235/35/19
305/30/19
We did run the 888's on the Cayman for a magazine "shoot-out" type affair and only because the RA-1s were no longer available. I'm pretty sure we got penalized for road noise

Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Why no mention of Hoosier R6/A6?

Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Former Vendor
Al - I did not mention the Hoosier cause I thought the full slick was not DOT approved. But please tell us your experience.

Alan - Look at the R888 sizes. Yes there are.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:33 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
I ran the R888's for 6 track days when 5 was probably the max. Great grip but very noisy on the street, luckily I only used them on the street to get to the track. I am in need of a new set now and am tempted from what is being said here to give the MPSC's a go for comparison. I am on stock 18's. I also need to dial in a tad more camber to get the most out of the R888's so that was another variable needing consideration.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor
On my 996TT I ran the Pirelli PZero 305/30/19 and also the Michelin PS2 in a 315/25/19. Alan, you are taking this off topic. Please keep this on discussion about tire performance.

Thanks

Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Pointby has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The new Nitto NT-05 looks like a great option for a streetable track tire. The only problem is they have limited sizes listed now. The tires should be available in Feb 09. If they have the right sizes, that will be the first tire I look at.

http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...lass-tire.html

Old 12-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
wow that looks amazing! tire innovation is constantly evolving.

the NT01 is available in a 315/30/18 and a 235 or 245/40/18.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 PM
BlueTT has a spectacular aura aboutBlueTT has a spectacular aura aboutBlueTT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vividracing
On my 996TT I ran the Pirelli PZero 305/30/19 and also the Michelin PS2 in a 315/25/19. Alan, you are taking this off topic. Please keep this on discussion about tire performance.

Thanks
Wouldn't 305/30/19 throw off the overall diameter in the 996TT's? What size fronts are you running not to damage the front diff?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
The Hoosier R6/A6 both are DOT rated tires although I certainly wouldn't recommend running them on the street. The manufacturer says they meet all DOT requirements for marking and performance but are not recommended for street use.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Talk - DOT Approved Track Tires