996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch question....So, my K24/18g EPL car started having a slipping clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
jasonfreed is on a distinguished road
Clutch question....So, my K24/18g EPL car started having a slipping clutch

in 5th and 6th gears only. It just started during a recent roadtrip to Michigan. The current clutch is suppsedly stock and has 59,000 miles on it. The reason I say "supposedly" is that the car was supposedly stock when I bought it but I found a chip after pulling the ECU for send out to EPL.

I was waiting for it to start slipping and it is. It holds 3rd and 4th gear fine. (1st and 2nd gear are completely useless with these cold Chicago roads - spinds and spins the tires)

So, out will come the motor and in will go a new clutch with EPL's larger injectors and a new file (mmmmm.....more power).

So, after searching, I'm confused about which clutch to get.

I want to keep a stock flywheel. I had a lightweight flywheel in my other car and HATED it (pulled the tranny to remove it). I don't want chatter.

What's the current clutch people are using with K24/18g power levels?

Any experience would be greatly appreciated!

<Hi Tony - - apparently the clutch will happen sooner than later and maybe my custom tune (when are you coming to Chicago?)>

Last edited by jasonfreed; 01-19-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
I've got the EVOMS Stage 3 clutch, which works great with the OEM dual mass flywheel. The clutch holds everything I throw at it, and hasn't slipped once. It drives very similar to stock, but is slightly more "grabby". After 300 break-in miles you will be onto the new clutch and it will become second nature. The only downside is sometimes when going into reverse the clutch will chatter (car will shutter) while you slip it, but once you let it all the way out, it'll be fine.

Member John D has come up with another great looking option which will also work with the dual mass flywheel. It holds all 700+ HP he has, so it's definitely worth looking into. It has a solid face vs. the pucks on the EVOMS clutch, so it shouldn't chatter at all.

There are several other alternatives out there, and many threads about them. PM some of the members here and get their opinions.

Good luck!!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I just changed from a "pucked" disc to a solid disc and I am very happy now with mine, even with the LWFW. IMO, when it comes to clutches, it seems "pucked" = chatter or shudder.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Jason,

Here is a link to pictures and part numbers of my clutch that uses the OEM flywheel that you want to keep. I am extremely pleased with this set-up, as it drives like stock in terms of smoothness of engagement, but has high HP holding capability once Clutchmasters tweaks the pressure plate. The Sachs race compound disc helps holding power, too.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/...asters-upgrade

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Clutchmaster Stage 1 or 3 sounds like it might be your best friend. The Clutchmaster stages resemble the Evo clutch stages quite well, coincidence ?? They offer a great upgrade using Sachs motorsports based parts bundled convieniently in a nice kit that includes almost all of what you will need. Since you plan on a bit more power I would go with their Stage 3 clutch which offers a hybrid disk and upgraded pressure plate. Shoot me an email and I will offer you a great deal and get you the right setup, Tony can vouch for our quick service. I only hope he stops by Chicago on his way to FL to get my custom tune completed as well, you may want to wait and see how that turns out before you install your injectors though

Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Jason. I hate to be right in this case, but as I mentioned over PM, I had a hunch you'd be needing a clutch sooner than later.
I'm running clutchmasters stage 3 and I'm happy with it. The engagement is higher than stock and there's a learning curve to driving it, but it's a good setup.
It's whisper quiet, you can still slip it and it is not on/off.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
To be honest with you, sometimes we will not even feel a clutch slip but it does. For instance you may be slipping in high gears right now even 4th but may not feel it to a point. If John has a clutch that works with OEM FW, perfect option for you. I have LWFW and John knows how these are, especially sitting in traffic. People looking at you like I think there is something wrong with your car

Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Jason. I hate to be right in this case, but as I mentioned over PM, I had a hunch you'd be needing a clutch sooner than later.
I'm running clutchmasters stage 3 and I'm happy with it. The engagement is higher than stock and there's a learning curve to driving it, but it's a good setup.
It's whisper quiet, you can still slip it and it is not on/off.
Yep - I knew it was a matter of time. I didn't pay for overlapping labor so I thought I should wait and see.

The good news is: now I can put the injectors in too and get a new tune - more power

Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Jason,

Here is a link to pictures and part numbers of my clutch that uses the OEM flywheel that you want to keep. I am extremely pleased with this set-up, as it drives like stock in terms of smoothness of engagement, but has high HP holding capability once Clutchmasters tweaks the pressure plate. The Sachs race compound disc helps holding power, too.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/...asters-upgrade
Thanks for the info - I'll look into it!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by onelove
Clutchmaster Stage 1 or 3 sounds like it might be your best friend. The Clutchmaster stages resemble the Evo clutch stages quite well, coincidence ?? They offer a great upgrade using Sachs motorsports based parts bundled convieniently in a nice kit that includes almost all of what you will need. Since you plan on a bit more power I would go with their Stage 3 clutch which offers a hybrid disk and upgraded pressure plate. Shoot me an email and I will offer you a great deal and get you the right setup, Tony can vouch for our quick service. I only hope he stops by Chicago on his way to FL to get my custom tune completed as well, you may want to wait and see how that turns out before you install your injectors though
Looks like the Stage III might be the best choice. I'll keep doing my research!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jasonfreed
Looks like the Stage III might be the best choice. I'll keep doing my research!
Also, I forgot to mention, I'm using the stage 3 setup with the stock dual-mass flywheel.