996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: Removing Steering Wheel and/or Airbag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
DIY: Removing Steering Wheel and/or Airbag

Figured I'd post this up for the archives.....

1) Disconnect the battery

2) Behind the steering wheel on each side there are screws which old the airbag in place. Start by popping out the covers over the screws. Then use a T30 to remove both screws. Note: I found it helpful to turn the wheel so the screw was at the bottom...this gave me more room to get the tool to fit.

3) Once both airbag screws are lose the airbag will come out....it is held in by a wire with a yellow plug. Use a flat head to pop the plug out of the airbag.

4) Next make sure your wheel is straight....and if you want to be precise you can mark the nut and center bolt with white out or a sharpie so you can put the steering wheel back on straight.

5) Remove the nut on the center bolt with a 24mm socket

6) The wheel should pull right off....gently rock it side to side if it doesn't come right off.

It goes back on in reverse

Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Slow4s has a spectacular aura aboutSlow4s has a spectacular aura about
Cool! Thanks for the post, will come in handy one day.. Someone please give this guy some rep points!

Thanks,
Alex

Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by audikp
Figured I'd post this up for the archives.....

1) Disconnect the battery

2) Behind the steering wheel on each side there are screws which old the airbag in place. Start by popping out the covers over the screws. Then use a T30 to remove both screws. Note: I found it helpful to turn the wheel so the screw was at the bottom...this gave me more room to get the tool to fit.

3) Once both airbag screws are lose the airbag will come out....it is held in by a wire with a yellow plug. Use a flat head to pop the plug out of the airbag.

4) Next make sure your wheel is straight....and if you want to be precise you can mark the nut and center bolt with white out or a sharpie so you can put the steering wheel back on straight.

5) Remove the nut on the center bolt with a 24mm socket

6) The wheel should pull right off....gently rock it side to side if it doesn't come right off.

It goes back on in reverse
Thanks KP

Originally Posted by Slow4s
Cool! Thanks for the post, will come in handy one day.. Someone please give this guy some rep points!

Thanks,
Alex
Alex, I'll do it

Edwin

Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
auidikp -- Thanks for the DIY!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
DHI
DHI is a jewel in the roughDHI is a jewel in the roughDHI is a jewel in the rough
Good DIY.
It is as easy as it sounds.

DI

Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
i will be doing this, this weekend. does it trip any CEL?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
it didnt for me...

Disconnect the battery before you start and do not re-connect it until after everything is back together.

good luck!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
thank you....

Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by doktordyper
i will be doing this, this weekend. does it trip any CEL?
Disconnect battery first. Only negative side will be ok. Finish all the work. Make sure all wirings for airbag are tight and secure. Connect battery LAST.
No CEL.

Last edited by aroonkl; 12-18-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Nice post Kiernan. Same goes for the seats. Disconnect battery first before removal or airbag light will stay on!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
if any one needs the pics...I've got that in pdf...

Old 04-27-2013, 02:06 AM
Philip1972 is on a distinguished road
Old thread resurrection!!

I am having terrible trouble taking my wheel off.

The torx screws are stiff, but they turn, but they never get any looser and the airbag will not come off.

Any help?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Philip1972 is on a distinguished road
All sorted eventually, had a brew, relaxed and tried again.

New stalks in and working :thumb:

Old 08-08-2015, 11:29 PM
realoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud of
Ugh... Instructions on removing the airbag hardware and not letting this ribbon unspool would have helped. What do I do now?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:14 AM
realoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud of
So, to peeps who see this thread, make sure you don't accidentally unwind the clock spring. What a f'ing bummer!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Removing Steering Wheel and/or Airbag