996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How good is tiptronic on the TT?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by mikesmith
Ok Matt, you win, you da man..
After hearing what you said about the Tip I agree you're Fresh alright dude.

Happy Karting BTW
When you taking the kart out for the maiden voyage?
maiden voyage?

I'm trying to take the kart out tomorrow if it is ready.

I am going again on Oct. 24th.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Is there a National fund for idiots who want to drive Porsches? If so I'll start feeding myself lead paint chips from now on.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Y65MPH will become famous soon enoughY65MPH will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Matt Fresh
Well, at least you are voting for the person who won the debate.

This arguement is proving to be futile. .
The question posed was "How good is a tiptronic on the TT?" How is this an arguement or debate? It is an opinion question. You seem to be the only one debating here. Your ignorant self promoting rants stink of immaturity.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:08 AM
Marx will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by mikesmith
Ok Matt, you win, you da man..
After hearing what you said about the Tip I agree you're Fresh alright dude.
Okay... who TF is that "Mike Smith" boy? You had 5 posts on this board and 4 of 5 posts started like this:

#1 "Ok Matt, you win, you da man.."

#2 "Sorry Matt..."

#3 "Hey Matt..."

#4 "Hey Matt..."

Don't believe it? Check here!

You should seriously get Matt's phone number to continue your private discussions. ...or are you Matt's alter ego to back up his position in this discussion?

Old 10-06-2004, 05:09 AM
Banned
Originally posted by Y65MPH
A tip is a goof to drive, mash the loud pedal and hold on!!!! Lots of fun. Plus you have to beat the tar out of a 6spd to keep up with it under normal driving. I just sold my tip. Great car.

By the way, wouldn't you call all F-1 ferraris automatics? Are they gay as well?

Italian automatic = Cool

German automatic = Gay

I think I got it now
once again... read this and it says it all about you. Maybe you and Life Dies should get together and make some sandwiches.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Y65MPH will become famous soon enoughY65MPH will become famous soon enough
once again... read this and it says it all about you. Maybe you and Life Dies should get together and make some sandwiches.
The fact that you have changed your avatar to reflect your narrow opinion of automobiles is leading me to believe that is your mother driving that kart. Or maybe daddy owns the TT. Transsmissions are a matter of chioce, not a reason to attack a fellow owner.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:23 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !

Old 10-06-2004, 05:24 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Yea. Sharky to the rescue.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:34 AM
alamein is on a distinguished road
BTW, for all of you traffic complainers, if you can afford a 996TT, you can afford another car to drive to work. Buy a 5 series, and E class, a Caddy, anything
but that's one of the primary advantages of a tip, that it can be driven every day every mile and we don't have to use some crap auto daily instead.

IMO there is much more enjoyment in driving a Porsche every day even if it is a Tip, then just having the stick on the weekends.

as for the "illusion" the buttons on the tip do compared to just leaving in automode, I have to ask whether you have ever even driven a Tip Porsche?

Old 10-06-2004, 05:54 AM
Garey Cooper is on a distinguished road
We have both types on Porsche's

We have an '03 C4S with the tip and an '01 TT with the 6 speed. The Tip makes traffic driving palatable and beyond question were the TT my only daily driver I would consider it. It is not a daily driver however as I also have an SUV that handles that more prosaic task.

On the Tip side I think that it is a competent design but not the greatest implementation that I have seen. I have also driven a Tip C2 in Germany, even on the Autobahn where it was "still fun". The reason the Tip is not the greatest implementation is that I think the shift points do not match the chassis and motor capability as well as they should. I find it upshifts and downshifts at less than or different than optimal points, again my opinion only. However one can switch the manual control mode and this intensifies the fun factor and the control factor. To finish on the current Tip I would DEFINATELY consider it as a daily driver if my daily drive included consistent traffic. As a side note I would not consider it a threat to either my gender or sexual preference.

On the SMG (which is a BMW marketing tag line) or really electro-hydraulic clutches; clearly these are the wave of the future. They are faster shifting and more effecient than stick shifts which is why they show up in the ultimate racing arena. The rumor is that Porsche is developing a system for this generation of 911, the 997. Porsche was a pioneer with this technology in racing with the sequential shifter in the Sports Prototypes of the 90's. The current automatic is sourced from another company.

Now a final confession, myself being neither capable of walking upon water or out driving Andretti.....launching an automatic in the TT is much less difficult than doing so in the sixer. It is entirely possible to be beaten off the line by reaction time and a more forgiving autobox. Not always, but it has to be said possible.

What I don't understand is the level of invective here? Sorry gentlemen but it doesn't speak well of either one of you.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:09 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by collin996tt
Yea. Sharky to the rescue.
You know I'm always here for you guys...

Old 10-06-2004, 06:44 AM
alamein is on a distinguished road
If tiptronic was superior
I don't think it's superior overall, but it is superior for my personal needs, and that's all I care about since it's my money

"M5 7 speed SMG when it comes out with 507 HP thats rumored to go 0-100-0 faster than a 996TT, that wont be boring by any means." - uh, not even near applicable, where did anyone say that they want a car to go straight and back?? Slow cars can be fun too (just ask any 360 owners )

"I prefer it much more than some automatic that I am constantly riding the brake to stop the car from rolling into all the traffic infront of me." - correct application of throttle and downshifting can make braking unncessary even in heavy traffic, I do it all the time. of course I have a lot of experience driving an auto.

Last edited by alamein; 10-06-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:45 AM
raidentech can only hope to improve
Ok, you win. You are the man. You can handle stick in traffic. Wow, what a skill man!!!!

Old 10-06-2004, 06:45 AM
Banned
Re: We have both types on Porsche's

Originally posted by Garey Cooper
Now a final confession, myself being neither capable of walking upon water or out driving Andretti.....launching an automatic in the TT is much less difficult than doing so in the sixer. It is entirely possible to be beaten off the line by reaction time and a more forgiving autobox. Not always, but it has to be said possible.
If anyone gets beat off the line by a tippy when driving a manual car of equal power then you suck at driving. AWD launching is about as easy as slicing through warm butter, and if you cant do that then you probably dont belong behind the wheel of a super sports car.

Launching a 900 rwhp Supra properly or something comparable is a challenging task, I know that I would suck at it w/o practice and proper instruction.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Banned
Originally posted by raidentech
Ok, you win. You are the man. You can handle stick in traffic. Wow, what a skill man!!!!

did you even bother to read the entire thread newbie?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How good is tiptronic on the TT?