996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Audiophiles: Changing out front door speakers (non-bose, non-most)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Audiophiles: Changing out front door speakers (non-bose, non-most)

I've finished installing my Eclipse HU and now am ready to tackle the speakers . I know that my current front door speakers are subwoofers (and they sound horrible) and I want to replace them with either mids or highs. My question is... does anyone know if I can just replace the sub speakers and hook up the wires on the new speakers or will I need to rewire the system? I read something on renntech about not being able to put regular speakers b.c something abuot low frequency?

Edwin

Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
I've finished installing my Eclipse HU and now am ready to tackle the speakers . I know that my current front door speakers are subwoofers (and they sound horrible) and I want to replace them with either mids or highs. My question is... does anyone know if I can just replace the sub speakers and hook up the wires on the new speakers or will I need to rewire the system? I read something on renntech about not being able to put regular speakers b.c something abuot low frequency?

Edwin

Are you going to install an AMP? Are you using the sub outputs from you Eclipse HU?

The factory amp runs a lower freq to the door speakers.

My guess is you could install an amp for just the door speakers and run the sub output from the HU to a new amp, then tap into the door speaker wires at the factory amp. Or you might be able to tap into the dash speakers and run them off the same channel...but not sure how great that would sound.....

Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by audikp
Are you going to install an AMP? Are you using the sub outputs from you Eclipse HU?

The factory amp runs a lower freq to the door speakers.

My guess is you could install an amp for just the door speakers and run the sub output from the HU to a new amp, then tap into the door speaker wires at the factory amp. Or you might be able to tap into the dash speakers and run them off the same channel...but not sure how great that would sound.....
KP,

I was hoping it would be as simple as connecting the new speakers to the sub wires but I guess that's not the case.

Edwin

Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Black911TT is on a distinguished road
I feel you pain, I just got my 996 two weeks ago and really my biggest complaint is the stereo overall is horrible........can hear the back speaker rattle on bass notes......just bad......I need to address mine as well so anything you find out I will definitely be interested in

Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Where is the factory amp located?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Where is the factory amp located?
HeavyChevy,

The amp is on the left side of the trunk when it's opened.

Edwin

Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM
cactus57 has a spectacular aura aboutcactus57 has a spectacular aura about
Ditch the factory amp and head unit. They are causing the poor sound quality, not the speakers themselves unless they are damaged.

I've done my own installs in most of my cars but not this one, if you really want it to look and sound great I recommend a professional install.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
HeavyChevy,

The amp is on the left side of the trunk when it's opened.

Edwin

Left side meaning passenger side? Are all of them there? Is it visible? I always wondered what the black box on the drivers side of the trunk on the floor is.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Left side meaning passenger side? Are all of them there? Is it visible? I always wondered what the black box on the drivers side of the trunk on the floor is.
Sounds like more weight to be removed, doesn't it?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Yup.....