996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY for Clutch Accumulator W/Pics...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:35 PM
996garage will become famous soon enough996garage will become famous soon enough
Makes me sick how the stealer wanted to charge me $1,000 to replace mine. I told them forget it. They later dropped the price to $500 for parts/labor.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
I had the same issue; I ground the the head of my wrench.

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Mike,
THanks for the write up. I went out recently and replaced my slave and accumulator and had a tough time tightening up the accumulator. I had to purchase a new 27mm wrench, and I couldn't get it situated at all the tighten it. For one, it wouldn't fit in the space between the accumulator and the slave, and it was way too long to fit around the transmission. I used a strap type oil filter wrench to tighten as much as I could. After a bunch of bleeding knuckes (even with mechanics gloves on) I figure I have it tight enough. How tight are you making the accumulator? Do you think I should be worried?

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
IB is the cancer of the internet...

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is on a distinguished road
Great writeup! I am waiting for the gt2 conversion now!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
FWIW, that accumulator on my car snugged up with a 7/8ths wrench in a pinch. No slippage and it was a thin wrench. I will need to double check it to ensure it's mucho' tight but as of right now it feels pretty good!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Nice write-up Mike! +rep

Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to bring this back.
My accumulator just somehow loosened up on me today.
The o-ring is bad.. would anyone know what the part number is?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
I just replaced the accumulator last summer.
My car sounded funny so I pulled over and then all the fluid started gushing out. I did leave a long trail from my garage though.
When I took it off the o-ring was ripped. How did my accumulator go bad?
I can't just ge another o-ring?
THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by Mikelly
If your accumulator loosened up on you, it's most likely bad, as in the whole unit. I would recommend buying and installing a new one. Did your pedal get really hard on you while driving or did you just notice fluid leaking?

This unit really requires more torque than you may think... I get it as tight as I can with that 27MM wrench and then I use a cheater bar to snug it the rest of the way down tight, which is about an extra 1/4 turn.

BLKMGK, yours used a 7/8th wrench (as did the first one I replaced) because it was the original unit that came on the car. There is a newer piece that will require a 27mm wrench, as Danyol shows above in his picture... Sears sells it cheap, then you have to grind it down to fit.

Mike

Old 06-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 AM
SXN
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I don't know of a part number for the o-ring, so I can't give it to you. However, when my new accumulator loosened up on me (*was on the car about 2 months), I tried to bleed it and it wouldn't bleed properly... What My INDY told me was that the bladder probably ruptured when the unit loosed, which apparently is common. This is why it is so important to follow the instructions and make sure you REALLY tighten it down "extra" tight. Also why I use that cheater bar for the last 1/4 "turn"!

Mike
I'll just order a new one because I dont want the hassle of doing this again. I never replaced my slave. Could the slave be causing this?
How do I know if it's bad or not?
Thanks again for all your help.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Mike....for those of us who don't happen to have another accumulaor lying around to measure the thickness to grind down the wrench to...roughly how many millimeters is do you grind down the head of the 27 mm wrench...and how long is the handle that you cut off...this may sound lame, but rather than fake it and go back and forth to the fitting, I'd appreciate it if you could put a mike on it and come up with the answer fairly easily.
BTW...plus rep for the great writeup. Think how much money this will save guys over the long haul....dealerships charge anywhere from $500-1000 for this job that really only requires them to rack it up and use a mechanic whose done this before...and they probably run thru the process in 20 minutes. Not a bad return...works out to be about $450 an hour or more.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
SXN
My front reservoir always stays full. When I replaced my accumulator last it was still full.
I'm just looking for signs of a bad slave. Can anyone chime in?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:42 PM
TT996al is just really niceTT996al is just really niceTT996al is just really niceTT996al is just really niceTT996al is just really nice
Thanks for the write up...
Just curious about the power bleeder. Is there fluid in the power bleeder or is it just air?.... reason i am asking is when you open the bleeder screw wouldn't the reservoir be empty therefore get air in the system... or would you just bleed it with 10 PSI for 20 sec and there is still enough in the reservoir so it doesn't get bubles... Hope that made sense. lol.
Also would it be just possible to gravity bleed it rather than using a power bleeder and top it off as the reservoir is low on fluid...
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TT996al; 06-29-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Awesome Mike Thank you. Mine was just replaced before I bought my car 6 weeks ago, but I'm glad this is here for when the next time comes around!

Justin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY for Clutch Accumulator W/Pics...