996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How much to repair/replace GT2 LSD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:40 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
My understanding is that the TT and GT2 have the tranny. I have read here that some euro spec TT cars came with an optional LSD.

If upgrading or repairing, I think you should go with the Quaife or Guard.

Stevo: what do you mean by "won't operate with one wheel off the ground'? I'm puzzled at how that works mechanically.
If one of the rear wheels is off the floor it has no power going to the other wheel... basically it has to have both wheels on the deck to move the car... Sounds bizarre I know, but I actually think of it as a good safety guard. Will soon find out anyway

Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
BTW... I don't know which race series it is but was having a good chat with Len Unwin (Technical at Quaife) and he was telling me that a stack of guys are running these in their Vipers in the US without any issues... TBH I will give it a serious going over in a few weeks and will give honest feedback, if I like it, it will stay, if I don't it will go!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Thanks everyone...I have been brainstorming this idea w/ Todd K and he suggests the Guard, noting that he has seen problems w/ the Quaife in very high hp cars.

However he also noted that the problem my car is having may be caused by the pins coming loose in the parking brake. If that is the case, then I will be getting off cheap.

Nonetheless, this discussion is beneficial. My research led me over to Rennlist where the GT3/GT2 track junkies have all gotten rid of there OEM LSD's. Apparently the stock units on our cars are not robust.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
the only downside with the Quaife is that if one wheel is off the ground the other will not operate (I looked at this as a positive) it's extremely difficult to get a rear wheel on our rear engined cars off the ground in the first place and if your doing so IMO it's giving you a warning ... .
Please give feedback. If you use the curbs, it's easy to get a wheel in the air, even the race cars do it all the time. My question is does it completely prevent power from going to the back at all?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
At Oulton I would hit curb just before chicane but we are talking hundredths of a second only... my main point I feel is if one wheel is off the ground you would have more chance of losing it anyway (if it has power going to the other). I will give feedback on the diff anyway.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
My understanding is that the TT and GT2 have the same tranny. I have read here that some euro spec TT cars came with an optional LSD.

If upgrading or repairing, I think you should go with the Quaife or Guard.

Stevo: what do you mean by "won't operate with one wheel off the ground'? I'm puzzled at how that works mechanically.
They are based on the same transmission, but there are slight differences between the 2. The ring and pinnion is differ on the AWD versions, and the GT2 has better sycnros than the standard TT box.

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
and modification work now? I hope to never need it but....
Not some thing we're looking to do in the future, however we could do it on a case by case basis. We actually had a local road race shop do our install, mainly because they had the shims needed in stock, and we only had about 48 hours to get everything in and installed before Texas among other things we where working on. It's not super difficult once you find the parts, Gbox and Guard both offer almost all the info necessary.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm interested in some feedback on the Gbox. How much are they? They are made in the good ole USA so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
NY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud of
3K for an LSD + 1K for install?? Yikes, but I guess you have to pay to play.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NY6SPEEDER
3K for an LSD + 1K for install?? Yikes, but I guess you have to pay to play.
If you think that's expensive then better hope while you're in there you don't see a warn 1-2 syncro.....which adds another $1500 to the cost....