6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   997 GT2 Air Box (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/177912-997-gt2-air-box.html)

f1crazydriver 07-06-2009 10:38 AM

997 GT2 Air Box

Can it be used on a 996 Turbo ? What modifications would have to be done in order to make it work ? Has anyone done this mod ?

TIA

Enrique

lintc0532 07-06-2009 10:46 AM

The air filter shape is different so might need lots modifications..

Also the 997 come with twin inlet scoop from engine lid and 996 only come with 1..Many works..

dixie 07-06-2009 02:47 PM

You can also buy this one from Vivid.. Works perfect..

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...CT0004-2-1.jpg

f1crazydriver 07-06-2009 08:11 PM

Very nice. My only issue with it, is that I have to cut the plastic thing for my trunk lid. Does anyone know where I can get a spare one ?

Btw, how do you like the intake ? any noticible difference at higher speeds ?

Also, do I have to get my ECU retuned so It won't run lean or will the ECU be able to compensate ?

TIA

Enrique

Turbo Fanatic 07-06-2009 08:49 PM

The stock airbox is fine for 700HP. Unless you're looking for something cosmetic, spend your efforts on more fruitful mods IMO

Chuck Jones 07-06-2009 10:04 PM

I'm thinking along ARI's lines....why are you chasing a different airbox if your're not even running at 600? The stock air boxes have been shown to perform perfectly well using the paper filtration system designed by Porsche. I think that some of this hype comes from the claims of higher HP and the spiffy looks of CF....but you drive around with the trunk lid closed....so it's basically for your own satisfaction just knowing there's a CF box back there. Seems to me the money would be better put towards an enhanced suspension system or an upgrade exhaust.

Dixie: What does "works perfect" mean? Sometimes I don't grasp what criteria is used to make a determination of performance levels. Do you have any performance data that shows that configuration works any better than a stock airbox at a threshold at or less than 600 hP? Please dont' take this as me trying to be argumentative....I'm sincerely just trying to understand what difference there might be between an expensive two-holed CF airbox and what I'm currently running that came with the car.

dixie 07-07-2009 02:09 AM

What I mean with car runs perfect is : no problems with MAF or anything else,
Does the box give more power,I don't know but it certainly isn't slower,Porsche made for the 997TT also 2 holes,so I suppose it isn't a bad thing to do and it looks good..You don't need a retune for this air intake..

Powell 07-07-2009 07:56 AM

I still run a stock airbox w/ a K&N on my car. I've made 666rwhp in the 90* heat on a dyno with it. I'd look at other mods before you look at an airbox.

PrecisionPorsch 07-07-2009 08:22 AM

I had a AP intake and went back to a stock airbox with BMC filter.

Edwin

vividracing 07-07-2009 09:37 AM

The Agency Power Carbon Fiber Dual Flow intake is basically the stock airbox but designed to simulate the 997TT airbox with "dual inlets". The intake was designed and made for those above that like the stock airbox. The added benefit is improved airflow to the entire surface area of the filter. Also the intake makes the turbo spool up more audible and looks great! No retuning is necessary.

f1crazydriver 07-07-2009 10:34 AM

Thanks guys and Dan.

Well I have a flash, exhaust. I don't want to change the Turbos out yet. So i'm trying to get a bit of power by doing some other simple bolt ons. If i can't do bolt ons then i'll do more weight reduction. Any tips in simple bolt on mods to get more power ? I'm thinking the GMG CF roof if I can't do any simple bolt ons. I just have to make sure I can keep my roof racks.

TIA

Enrique

vividracing 07-07-2009 10:39 AM

I will give you a satisfaction guaranteed on my intake. If you dont like it within 30 days. Return it for credit.

Chuck Jones 07-07-2009 10:44 AM

Enrique: You're looking for more bolt on power, so you're thinking about a CF roof? I think MA Shaw sells one that adds about 25 HP. :D

Seriously...you're looking at spending some serious money for bling. If your objective is how cool the car looks, I can understand, but to say you want power, but are looking at expensive CF is contradictory. If you have the K24 turbos...go for the wastegate kit....great bang for the buck. About $395 from UMW....but you should check with your tuner to see if you need to retune for the wastegate kit. Probably not.

f1crazydriver 07-07-2009 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones (Post 2453822)
Enrique: You're looking for more bolt on power, so you're thinking about a CF roof? I think MA Shaw sells one that adds about 25 HP. :D

Seriously...you're looking at spending some serious money for bling. If your objective is how cool the car looks, I can understand, but to say you want power, but are looking at expensive CF is contradictory. If you have the K24 turbos...go for the wastegate kit....great bang for the buck. About $395 from UMW....but you should check with your tuner to see if you need to retune for the wastegate kit. Probably not.

Chuck,

No, I track my car pretty often, I have a lot of weight reduction mods. I want a bit more power but IF I can't get it I will take off weight instead of adding power. I'm not doing it because it looks nice ;) I'm doing it so I can be faster on the road course track ;) I have the stock k16's turbos i believe. I don't go for looks, I go for performance that will show on the road couse ;)

To give you an example, with my new seats/weight reduction mods/suspension/alingment I was running 2 min flat at Thunderhill dipping into 1:59's ;)

Dan,

That is a very nice offer. I'll let you know let me just get some more feedback as what people think what route I should take.

Chuck Jones 07-07-2009 11:19 AM

You do a lot better at Thunderhill than I do....I see your approach now that you've explained it better. Since you're running K16's, you can't do the wastegates. If you're looking for weight reduction, from a weight saving perspective, the airbox won't do much of anything for you except look nice and give you a bit more sound feedback. Not knocking the product, just following your logic trail.

Maybe we'll meet up at T-hill someday.