996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fuel pump system exposed, a couple of pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:45 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Well I found a memo from Porsche to EPA because it is a fuel system problem stating that a bit over 8% of the newer 996TT's had pump failures but no release to atmosphere of fuel. The corrective action is a revised part and old parts pulled from shelf.
Huh. I wonder as this is a report on the "newer" 996TT's. I wonder what the failure rate of the old ones are given the longer exposure to ethynol.
Also, 8% were covered by warranty. I wonder if another 20-30% or more were out-of-pocket? Mine is going on it's second replacement pump on a 20k mile car and I'm a little hot about buying a $500+ pump that's known to be a problem. Hopefully the newest incarnation does the trick. Just wish Porsche would pick up the part, I'll eat the tow.

Here's a link to the memo.

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...ontentType=pdf

Name:  porscheonwrecker.jpg
Views: 3640
Size:  123.7 KB

Last edited by jjbravo; 08-09-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 AM
mcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nice
Merci Alex, bonne job!

Would a fuel pump failure be covered under a CPO warranty? I would think so (don't tell me it's wear and tear!)

Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mcisprinter
Merci Alex, bonne job!

Would a fuel pump failure be covered under a CPO warranty? I would think so (don't tell me it's wear and tear!)
i would guess so if your car is still under warranty

Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
jjbravo, thanks for link, i guess this is why the new one doesn't look like my old one, must be the updated version and my new part number did in fact end up with 02 so it is the new piece.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
ElTurboNegro is on a distinguished road
Awesome post - about to replace my pump, great to have the info in advance.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:06 AM
porsche996tt_tpe is on a distinguished road
Just curious, is there a direct replacement part (VDO or others) for the pump motor alone?

Old 10-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread with a lot of helpful info BUT, I need to replace just the motor with a pump that is capable of 60psi constant, has anybody replace just the pump? are all the in-tank motors, such as the Hi pressure walbros the same size or easy to adapt?

Old 10-31-2015, 11:11 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fierofly
This is a great thread with a lot of helpful info BUT, I need to replace just the motor with a pump that is capable of 60psi constant, has anybody replace just the pump? are all the in-tank motors, such as the Hi pressure walbros the same size or easy to adapt?
Nope. You're SOL. That's why adding a second inline pump is common. Search and you will learn.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:40 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Nope. You're SOL. That's why adding a second inline pump is common. Search and you will learn.
not true at all. inline pumps are a failure waiting to happen

contact sean at silly rabbit motorsport in las vegas. he builds billet hats with a brushless pump that can handle what you need.full in tank setups with just that up to a full system with billet rails, lines filters etc. there is also an application that can run the fuel pressure thru the dme with pwm and boost requirements so no fpr is needed

Old 10-31-2015, 08:50 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
not true at all. inline pumps are a failure waiting to happen

contact sean at silly rabbit motorsport in las vegas. he builds billet hats with a brushless pump that can handle what you need.full in tank setups with just that up to a full system with billet rails, lines filters etc. there is also an application that can run the fuel pressure thru the dme with pwm and boost requirements so no fpr is needed
Bosch 044 has been used reliably inline for over a decade. To the original poster's question, there's not a simple drop-in Walberg pump solution as with other cars.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:59 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Bosch 044 has been used reliably inline for over a decade. To the original poster's question, there's not a simple drop-in Walberg pump solution as with other cars.
it actually is a simple drop in if you use the right product.the sam product is a complete no wire cutting drop in unit. a second inline pump or boostapump won't keep the car safe if it fails and will run the car lean. its a poor bandaid and always has been.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:39 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
If you do the single pump Sean's setup is pretty much PnP, dual pumps require running lines. It's possible to drop a Walbro into the stock holder but you'll need to use a hose clamp on the pump to stabilize it in the plastic holder and modify the wiring. Sean does have a brushless pump too that can be PWM.

Why 60psi constant? Most regulated setups vary the pressure. How much FLOW do you need?

P.S. Not a fan of inline pumps myself either...

Old 11-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
If you do the single pump Sean's setup is pretty much PnP, dual pumps require running lines. It's possible to drop a Walbro into the stock holder but you'll need to use a hose clamp on the pump to stabilize it in the plastic holder and modify the wiring. Sean does have a brushless pump too that can be PWM.

Why 60psi constant? Most regulated setups vary the pressure. How much FLOW do you need?

P.S. Not a fan of inline pumps myself either...

I've installed a GM LS3 480hp V8 crate engine that according to the installation paperwork needs 60psi. I've removed the stock Porsche computer variable pump psi computer controller and am getting 55psi idle that will drop as low as 45psi during acceleration, I'm worried that it will run to lean with these pressures. Which Walbro pump do you recommend ?

Old 11-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Banned
I've installed a GM LS3 480hp V8 crate engine that according to the installation paperwork needs 60psi. I've removed the stock Porsche computer variable pump psi computer controller and am getting 55psi idle that will drop as low as 45psi during acceleration, I'm worried that it will run to lean with these pressures. Which Walbro pump do you recommend ?
pm sent

Old 11-02-2015, 01:35 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
If it's dropping at higher fuel consumption levels and your FP is static, then your pump doesn't have the FLOW to handle your HP requirements. I'm assuming this isn't a forced induction setup either.

I also prefer proper in-tank fuel pump to external if possible. I just wish it were easier modifying our fuel systems. I ended up copy'ing johnny.dangerous' setup with running a FP to the bottom of each sump in the fuel-tank. It has been working great so far. Even at a little over 1/4 tank for fuel, my fuel pressure logs haven't budged....even on the twisties. I'm not staging mine either. Dual 340lph doing work full time in my tank.

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 11-02-2015 at 01:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump system exposed, a couple of pictures