996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dash Trim removal - carbon fiber repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 PM
BobTheHunter is on a distinguished road
Dash Trim removal - carbon fiber repair

Hey all, I was hoping someone could spell out for me how to get the long defrost vent trim pieces off without doing any damage. My car has the factory carbon fiber package and the CF strips the whole length under the windshield are coming unglued. I'm going to try using epoxy and a bunch of clamps to see if I can bond them back down before I go through the expense of getting replacements. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I have the same problem with my side vents. Somone please tell us how to fix the CF if possible.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
my top defrost vents are coming up also by where the windsheild wiper sensor is. Hope there is a moderatly easy fix

Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
slvr99M3 is on a distinguished road
dash trims

Well just pull off the A-pillar trims and then the center alarm sensor cover (carefully, due to the little clips always wanting to break).Then you have to loosen the 3 t20 torx side screws on the vents(each side) and pull those straight off, That will give you direct access with a plastic wedge of some sort to evenly distribute the pressure along the dashboard to unclip the defrost panels.You could use your hands to remove the defrost panels as well, it might just take longer...

Old 08-03-2009, 05:09 PM
gstiper77 is on a distinguished road
My CF trim is coming up in same places. Seems like this is a common problem

Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM
StrathRoy is on a distinguished road
When you get the trim off, make sure you use a heat gun (sparingly) to get the carbon fiber back into shape. It will bend easily with heat, but it WILL crack if you try to just clamp it down.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
I had this issue with my long strips as well. I got them off and tried everything I could think of. Heat gun then letting them sit under a weight. Glues did not do it. So i left them out and painthed where they were black and you can hardly tell they are missing. There is even a CF pattern in the place where they were already.

Funny thing is that my vent corners were pulling up to and I put super glue on those parts, and wedged the corner down with a screwdriver over night and they have yet to pull away.

I had heard you can get the replacement strips up above but they were 700 bucks. I was not going to spend that much on a silly trim piece. Mine looks just fine, and I even have a Gray dash.

Just my .02

Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 AM
BobTheHunter is on a distinguished road
Hey could you elaborate a bit on removing the vents at either side? I only see two T20's and with them removed they do not just pop loose. I am wary of pulling too hard on them.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:09 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Are the pieces two pieces? Mine are basically ready to just fall off and curious if I really need to remove everything or if I can just gently pull them off.