996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Great upgade for under 200

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:09 PM
ABCar is on a distinguished road
Great upgade for under 200

I took FDORN's recommendation and installed a 997 STANDARD (not short) shifter in my 996. SO MUCH BETTER! Feels like the short shift on my Cayman S did...short, snickety and precise...not long and muddy like the standard 996. No fitment issues or mods to make either...bolt off...bolt on. Just the mechinism and material are upgraded.

Suncoast has them on sale for 180 but before I knew that I had already paid full price at the local dealer for about 200.

The hardest part was getting my shift handle off (some of them have a screw or bolt under the boot that you unsrew, but mine pulled off by pulling straight up using alot of force.) Also, taking the center console out was a pain in the *** but not hard. The shifter itself was easy to instal once you got to it. You will need to consult a repair manual or talk to someone who knows about the retaining shifter clips for the shifter cables though so you dont make a boo boo. Whole job took maybe an hour & half.

EDIT I have installed a pdf of from the manual...hope this helps

Thanks Frank!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
shifter instal Document1.pdf (183.1 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by ABCar; 10-12-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Quick question for you, since this mod is certainly on my short list too. What prompted you to get the 997 and not the 997 SSK? Did you hear something particular about the 997 SSK that seemed to dissuade you from trying it? Thanks a lot, and congratulations on your new mod!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
NICE...I know its the best couple hundread I have spent...glad you got it all working.

Originally Posted by ABCar
I took FDORN's recommendation and installed a 997 STANDARD (not short) shifter in my 996. SO MUCH BETTER! Feels like the short shift on my Cayman S did...short, snickety and precise...not long and muddy like the standard 996. No fitment issues or mods to make either...bolt off...bolt on. Just the mechinism and material are upgraded.

Suncoast has them on sale for 180 but before I knew that I had already paid full price at the local dealer for about 200.

The hardest part was getting my shift handle off (some of them have a screw or bolt under the boot that you unsrew, but mine pulled off by pulling straight up using alot of force.) Also, taking the center console out was a pain in the *** but not hard. The shifter itself was easy to instal once you got to it. You will need to consult a repair manual or talk to someone who knows about the retaining shifter clips for the shifter cables though so you dont make a boo boo. Whole job took maybe an hour & half.

Thanks Frank!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 PM
c2scanada is on a distinguished road
Did exactly the same thing.
My SSK sucked !

Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
For me it was just driving a buddies stock 997 C2S. So much nicer than a 996. When I found out it was a $200 part I couldn't resist.

You should try both if you can. The 997 stock is right in the middle of a stock 996 and 996 short shift. For 200 bucks, everyone should try it.

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Quick question for you, since this mod is certainly on my short list too. What prompted you to get the 997 and not the 997 SSK? Did you hear something particular about the 997 SSK that seemed to dissuade you from trying it? Thanks a lot, and congratulations on your new mod!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I agree, very nice upgrade.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
I don't understand why anyone would pay $200 for one of these. Technicians at dealers have boxes of them that were replaced with 997 short shifters on brand-new cars. You can pick them up for $25-$50 bucks. Is anybody listening?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
I don't understand why anyone would pay $200 for one of these. Technicians at dealers have boxes of them that were replaced with 997 short shifters on brand-new cars. You can pick them up for $25-$50 bucks. Is anybody listening?
I keep hearing that, and the only question I have is "could someone pick one up for me at that price please"?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Try Sunset Porsche in Oregon, they give around 40% off most of the time. I have yet to see Suncoast match their prices.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
25-50??? No.

$100? Yes. How I got mine

Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Can someone post a detailed DIY?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 AM
ABCar is on a distinguished road
Damn! Over paid again.
still, it will be forgotten a little bit more with each shift.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I keep hearing that, and the only question I have is "could someone pick one up for me at that price please"?
Sure, give me your location and I'll make the calls to locate. But I'll charge you $25 for my time and effort. Have you even tried to call dealer techs?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by ard
25-50??? No.

$100? Yes. How I got mine
Yes. How many techs did you ask?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
luva966tt will become famous soon enoughluva966tt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

+1 For Sunset Porsche Oregon best deal around

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Great upgade for under 200