996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another clutch question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Forrest Gump 9 has a spectacular aura aboutForrest Gump 9 has a spectacular aura about
Another clutch question

Hello all

Earlier this year my 996tt developed a nasty clutch slip so I haven't drive the car since. So the weather is getting nice and I miss my baby so the transmission get dropped and this is what I found

Name:  IMG_1503_zpsqlofpm0b.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  265.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1504_zpsz8ad4suu.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  152.2 KB

What are they? Stock? Upgrade?

I'm going to replace them with these

Name:  IMG_1502_zpsewrxq9ik.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  228.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1505_zpsjkd6bi2g.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  135.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1501_zpsq2vbqzae.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  175.0 KB

Are they worthy of an upgrade from the previous ones? Should I stay with the dual mass flywheel or go with the single mass lightweight unit? Decision decisions.....oh of course I'm getting the the clutch slave and master upgrade while I'm at it too.

Thank you for your time, I need to get my car back on the road. I'm tired of slow car

Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 AM
jdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to behold
Most go with the Sachs "2.5" kit. What is your power level? What are you doing to upgrade master/slave? Best fix imo is gt2 swap while the engine is out.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Hello all

Earlier this year my 996tt developed a nasty clutch slip so I haven't drive the car since. So the weather is getting nice and I miss my baby so the transmission get dropped and this is what I found

Are they worthy of an upgrade from the previous ones? Should I stay with the dual mass flywheel or go with the single mass lightweight unit? Decision decisions.....oh of course I'm getting the the clutch slave and master upgrade while I'm at it too.

Thank you for your time, I need to get my car back on the road. I'm tired of slow car
The lower PP and disk are the upgrade path I went with. When deciding on clutch setup, you need to decide if you want the drivability of the stock setup. If you do then stay with stock dual mass flywheel. The GT2 disk with the 764 PP is a nice upgrade to accommodate that. If you want quicker and easier rev matching with quicker spool with a very slight negative clutch engage feel, do a RS single mass Flywheel with 764pp and a sprung RS style disk.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Hello all

Also, don't use the second PP throwout bearing unless you are using the RS flywheel. They have longer fingers to make up for the thinner RS single mass FW. I would honestly avoid a used clutch setup for the amount of work involved. Just my .02

Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
I have a Fidanza aluminum, singlemass, lightweight flywheel if anyone is interested. Freshly, beadblasted, along with new friction plate(never used). Went with TILTON triple.
Loved the way the car drove with the light weight flywheel. Never understood people complaining about them. Why would you choose the boat anchor, stock flywheel...?

Old 04-28-2017, 09:34 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
There are literally dozens of flywheel threads, take some time to educate yourself on the options. I personally recently performed this upgrade from OEM to SM RS, very happy with the results (-20# rotating mass). Noise is present but tolerable (I also did motor mount and gearbox mount). Best of luck. Save yourself heart ache and drop the motor for gearbox divorce; you can thank me later. I learned the hard way.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
cmon you had a blast just dropping the trans. bet you will do it again !
Biggest PITFA ever.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:13 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Given how much my 996 Turbo's transmission rattles with the DMF no way I'd replace the DMF with a LWFW.

The DMF acts as a crankshaft dampener -- though it not "perfect" in this regard which accounts for the transmission rattle and which underscores I think the need to have a crankshaft dampener -- and taking this away subjects/exposes the crank to more stress.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Given how much my 996 Turbo's transmission rattles with the DMF no way I'd replace the DMF with a LWFW.

The DMF acts as a crankshaft dampener -- though it not "perfect" in this regard which accounts for the transmission rattle and which underscores I think the need to have a crankshaft dampener -- and taking this away subjects/exposes the crank to more stress.
Not trying to be a dick. This seems like a good theory, however I an skeptical as the forces of the pistons and rods of a running engine at full tilt would be arguably right up there as well. My question is what evidence do you have or supporting facts to prove that a LWFW induces more crankshaft wear?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.