996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

advice needed. 996TT or 997 Carrera S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 PM
myfootsmells is on a distinguished road
well yes I can find one in the ~$40k range but the mileage is so high. i'm all for saving money (for modding) so is a 30k or 40k mi out of the question?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Let me Begin by saying you are probably in the wrong forum to ask this question. We've all "voted" for Turbo power. The Turbos and GT2/3 cars come with one of the stoutest blocks in Porsche's storied history. They are so over engineered.

One thing that's often overlooked is the torque the turbo engine makes. While that's basically another term for HP delivery, low end torque is what sets the turbos apart from all other non turbo porches (even the GT3). The turbo is very effortless in it's power delivery. You can easily overtake traffic without downshifting. The deciding factor for me (5 years ago) was the nearly endless mod potential. Just add a new mod every year or so and even modern cars won't keep up.

Hope that helps.

In the right hands, even a stock Turbo will handily outperform most modern day cars and dutifully serve as a daily driver if asked. They are truly the "Toyota" of super cars.

Pick a clean, well maintained, non abused car and you will enjoy years of satisfaction.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
Even if he passes me I wouldn't want the WRX.
Had two "Wayne's world kids" run up on my *** in a new EVO on the I-5 through Camp Pendleton, Dropped back into 3rd at 75 and they never knew what hit them. The only Japanese car that can run with a 996/7TT is a GTR (a very respectable car).

Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
But it looks like the ugly sister.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by landjet
But it looks like the ugly sister.
Yeah, the chunky one at that!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
...They are truly the "Toyota" of super cars.

Pick a clean, well maintained, non abused car and you will enjoy years of satisfaction.
As a 5 time Toyota Supra Turbo owner, I can attest to this. I needed a platform that was "over-engineered" and built as well as what I was used to, and that turned into a pretty short list (particularly on my budget). Mission accomplished with the 996TT.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Was out accompanied by a GT3 cruising the mountains the other day. I was following my buddy when we came upon a stretch of open road and he decided to floor it. I decided to follow. The net of it is, my boost came on so violent as of 3rd gear that I nearly rear ended it.
Afterwards we swapped cars.
The GT3 may be a better track car, but I found it to be rather slow. But then again, my car is modified.
When he stepped out of my car he was giggling like a school girl.
Enough said.

Last edited by Yves; 12-15-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
That what often annoy me too. So many soup-up kids in Dodge neon, hot wing Honda, wrx, evo roll up to me or drive stupid in and out to race. They want to show off that they have bad-*** mod with bang on the buck and beat overprice Porsche. (For corvett and m5. I see them around and they are cool people.) I think 997 would not have good time againt these kids' cars.
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Had two "Wayne's world kids" run up on my *** in a new EVO on the I-5 through Camp Pendleton, Dropped back into 3rd at 75 and they never knew what hit them. The only Japanese car that can run with a 996/7TT is a GTR (a very respectable car).

Last edited by aroonkl; 12-15-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
I recognize the Turbo factor on the road, lots of crap cars start zigzagging through traffic and tries to make some point. However, I noticed a more than 50% perceived reduction of it after I got the GT2 aero on the car, come to think of it... I almost miss it... haha.

Looked originally for a C2S OR at 996TT. For me, I would NOT keep the C2S stock look, it had to get GT3 aero (absolutely mandatory) and a flash + ride height work and maybe a center pipe exhaust. Ending pricetag would of course bit a bit higher for that, but still, a nice newer style car.

I was SUPER CLOSE to buy one but seller was a flaker and I set out to find the next. In then end, I wanted to do my first Porsche ownership properly, so I headed for Turbo, only the phrase "Porsche Turbo" has it's own legend.

A bit later I went to Street of Willow with some friends, waiting there stood a white GT3, and another member's black C2S with GT3 aero, lowered and wheels...

I got to drive the C2S and man I WAS SURPRISED heading out of the pits. Floored it and nothing happened! Yeah, the rev limiter climbed upwards, I had plenty of time to hear every rpm step. Compared to my flashed stock exhaust Turbo it was like accelerating in a Miata!

Car felt really solid otherwise and the 997 chassis feel is just easier to drive and fool around with on limit, but overall, it ruined my whole memory of C2S as an incredibly powerful and fast car.

So, if you can live with 996 interior / navi unit etc being a little older, the TT is the car that'll feel SPECIAL. If you get tired of exterior being a bit too timid, GT2 aero is available.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 PM
i'm off to test drive a c2s

Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 AM
so i drove the c2s and i must say i enjoyed it more than the 996 tt. however, it was mainly because of the shifting. i think i read some where where you're able to change the shifter in a 996 to 997?

it was a quick car but no where near the 996 and that still concerns me. also, like most have said the interior you just can't compare the 997 is newer and cleaner. ahh decisions decisions..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:43 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
So you like everything better in 997, except power can be better. Well here's a piece of news: Even in a 996TT you'll soon want more power!

Only difference is that it is easier to do 50-100hp bumps with the TT.

You'll be very happy with any of the choices IMO. Can't go wrong really. Just different ways of right.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 AM
With the turbo kit and supercharger kits I may just go with the 997 and FI it when the CPO is over...

Originally Posted by MrWhite
So you like everything better in 997, except power can be better. Well here's a piece of news: Even in a 996TT you'll soon want more power!

Only difference is that it is easier to do 50-100hp bumps with the TT.

You'll be very happy with any of the choices IMO. Can't go wrong really. Just different ways of right.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Just a couple years ago, I would have been on the 997S side. I would have thought, why get the dated car? I want to look like I can afford a new Porsche not an old one.

Then I realized, the only thing pushing me into the 997S was how I appeared to others. 99% of the time I would rather have the power and modability of the turbo as that is what I would enjoy from the drivers seat. Would having a new body style put as much of a smile on my face as blowing away whomever dares to challenge me? No way

Don't get me wrong, the 997S is a fine vehicle, but you can pick up ridiculous modded 996 turbos for less than the cost of a pristine 997S. The 996 turbo is one of the greatest values in performance cars as of today.

Plus, the average person can't tell a 993 from a 997, get the turbo, you won't regret it, you will never wonder what could have been. People always move to the turbo, they never move back to the S.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
This is not true at all, come on, there are some very fast Japanese cars out there other than GTR's, and there are more than a few EVO's that would change your view on the matter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: advice needed. 996TT or 997 Carrera S?