996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2002 Suspension Upgrade - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM
heron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond repute
2002 Suspension Upgrade - what would you do?

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on some Bilstein PSS10's coilovers. I am thinking of upgrading the swaybars to H&R as well. The car spends 99% of its time on the street, albeit spirited driving. What additional mods would the board suggest? I don't really want to lower the car and I run stock rims/tire widths.

thanks!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
That should just about do it for the street with some sway bars.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:14 PM
porscheralph is on a distinguished road
Why not lower the car? Handling will be improved as will the overall look. If you are really going to only use it on the street I would not bother with changing the sway bars. The handling will be much improved but the ride will be a little rougher depending on how you set the ***** on the shocks. Don't forget to get a good four wheel alignment too.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
the 10's will lower your car a bunch. It's perfect for the street.
I had to buy Tarret drop links for the rear HR bar.
LOVE my setup. You will love yours too.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Better rubber will make a dramatic difference. I went to GT2 size wheels on my 2002 and have been using R compound rubber (R888) ever since. It makes a major difference.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
You should also consider rear adjustable control arms (dogbones) and rear toe steer link. Depending on how far you lower the car, you may end up with too much rear camber and toe which the stock eccentrics cannot compensate for. The tarret drop links do make a little noise compared to the rubber ends of the stock links.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:31 PM
heron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond repute
good stuff guys

so in addition to the PSS10's, I am going with Tarret front and rear anti sway bars and drop links.

I made the comment on the lowering due to some of the rough roads around here, don't want to be bottoming out and ripping off stuff from underneath. Some lowering is acceptable.... I will be doing the 4 corner alignment and changing to a new set of Michelin PS2's as well. Anything else I should be considering?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Good thread, thanks for the topic.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heron163
good stuff guys

so in addition to the PSS10's, I am going with Tarret front and rear anti sway bars and drop links.

I made the comment on the lowering due to some of the rough roads around here, don't want to be bottoming out and ripping off stuff from underneath. Some lowering is acceptable.... I will be doing the 4 corner alignment and changing to a new set of Michelin PS2's as well. Anything else I should be considering?
The 996TT rides much too high especially in the front. The stock front to rear weight distibution is very poor compared to the 993 or 997. PCNA hides this problem with PSM and all wheel drive. At a minimum lower the front end for a more even corner balance. You can usually lower the front about an 1" and the rear about 1/2" and still get a decent alignment with stock eccentrics. The rear stock drop links should work with this modest lowering. (The PSS10s come with factory style longer rubber end front drop links). If you don't track the car they usually dont break. The Tarret links are bullet proof but they do make noise compared to the factory links.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 12-31-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
This is actually not 100% accurate. My car has PSS9s and with the stock rear suspension we were able to pull as much or as little camber as we needed (up to -2.2) on a GT2 ride height (my car is an 01TT). In order to get to my track settings of -3.0 front and -2.5 rear, you'd need dogbones and GT3 lower control arms, along with other useful stuff. But for an agressive street alignment, he shouldn't need it, even at GT2 ride heights.

Also, knowing what I now know about how soft the driveline bushings are. I'm not sure I wouldn't put upgraded tranny and motor mounts on the list AHEAD of suspension upgrades.

I'm with heavyChevy on this one... I'd do the PS10s, some HR Swaybars with upgraded HEIM JOINT style drop links and a good alignment.

Make sure you get the car set up properly. A good suspension guy is worth his weight. I personally recommend getting a car scaled, but some will chime in and say "It's a street car, don't worry about it". Scaling the car will allow the suspension engineer the ability to equalize the static load right to left on each axle/end of the car. Ride height is only a part of the equation. Getting someone in your area experienced with 996s is great, and if they have TT experience, even better. We are using Michelin PS RIBs and I've had great luck running more aggressive alignment with the car... I'm able to run -1.5 camber up front and -2.0 on the rear with stock caster, along with toe recommended by your shop. I run zero toe on my setup, but it's "twitchy" and "nervous" feeling for some. Some toe is a good thing for street only driving.

Call it done after that, unless you plan to track it. Then if you do, still, don't do anything beyond good rubber until you're an intermediate to advanced student...Then we can give you a whole list of ways to spend your money!

Mike

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
You should also consider rear adjustable control arms (dogbones) and rear toe steer link. Depending on how far you lower the car, you may end up with too much rear camber and toe which the stock eccentrics cannot compensate for. The tarret drop links do make a little noise compared to the rubber ends of the stock links.

Last edited by Mikelly; 12-31-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:17 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
FYI If you use the GMG sways made for the 996TT you can continue using the stock droplinks on a lowered car.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:42 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I already have the FVD version of the pss9 but stock sway bars, going to after market sways going to make a noticable difference to my car? just for street use..

thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 07:26 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Yes, unless you only drive it like a soccer mom.

Last edited by landjet; 12-31-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:34 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
is there a brand of sways that are best.. ? want something that just bolts right in with out switching a bunch of other parts.. dog bones etc.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Originally Posted by boca996tt
is there a brand of sways that are best.. ? want something that just bolts right in with out switching a bunch of other parts.. dog bones etc.
Call Fabryce at GMG racing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2002 Suspension Upgrade - what would you do?