996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thoughts in getting a M6 instead of a 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
sshu930 is on a distinguished road
Thoughts in getting a M6 instead of a 996TT?

I know that this is a P-car board but would like to get your guys opinion on this. I'm looking for a weekend car and it comes down to the M6 or 996TT. Here are my thoughts on each,

M6
It would be getting the 6 speed manual because I don't trust the SMG out of warranty. One of the biggest things I like about the car is the engine and the sound it makes, especially with an exhaust. By the time I'm ready to get it, the car would be out of warranty but everything would be relatively new/good condition. I actually like the looks. I'm a fan of the technology and always thought a CF roof was cool. I have a mechanic who is very reasonable incase I have repairs. It's not a small car but don't mind the size coming from a M5.

996TT
It would be very lightly modded and I would get a 01-02. Worried about lotsa little things going wrong being such a old car especially since I don't know any trusted mechanic in my area(I"m sure I could find one). The car is a little dated inside and out. Always wanted a turbo but don't mind waiting to get a 997TT when the prices come down.

Both cars are great bargains and I can't lose either way. Any thoughts?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
You are on quattroworld, right?

If you are staying away from the SMG, you'd probably be OK. I still think the V10 M cars have a lot of electronics that can cause issues- especially in an older car (and not under warranty)...

I've heard the 6 speed V10 cars gearing isn't quite right, since that 6 speed was designed for the e39 M5. Then you have potential clutch issues- which I'm sure you're familiar with.

That being said, the sound of the V10 is intoxicating!

Last edited by PAULUNM; 02-10-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
I think it's a little like comparing footballs to pizza. Both are great in the proper context. If you like to throw a car, HARD, into corners, you may end up into the wall with the oversteer from an M6. If you plan on packing more than your underwear in the car for a trip, the Porsche's storage options may be a bit tight. I'd highly suggest you test drive each car, and see which one you fit in. Both are great, but are very different.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sshu930
I like about the car is the engine and the sound it makes, especially with an exhaust.
Sorry, wouldn't know because they were always behind me when we PLAY.

Last edited by MY996TT; 02-10-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Don't buy a V10 M car just because it sounds great.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
I was out to buy an M6 convertible - process, dealers, and SMG all sucked.

Went over to the P-car dealer and drove several 911s and once I had driven the turbo (x50) it was no choice. 996TT X50 was mine!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 PM
sshu930 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
I think it's a little like comparing footballs to pizza. Both are great in the proper context. If you like to throw a car, HARD, into corners, you may end up into the wall with the oversteer from an M6. If you plan on packing more than your underwear in the car for a trip, the Porsche's storage options may be a bit tight. I'd highly suggest you test drive each car, and see which one you fit in. Both are great, but are very different.
Yeah, I'm on quattroworld also. This car would be purely my own personal car for just me to drive only. I don't need the space. If my family was ever to go out for an extended drive then we would take the family car. I considered the Z06 but the oil starvation issue is scaring me away for now. The car would see a couple tracks days a year also. I've only had seat time in the cars and the M6 wins hands down in that respect. I love the V10 engine not just the sounds it makes. I know ultimately it will come down to a test drive but I'm just doing some R&D in the office

Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
I agree - they are cars of very different purpose.

My friend recently went to M school and said the M5 and M6 did not feel like big cars at all. I love both of the cars.

Still, for the money, nothing comes close to a 996 Turbo. IMO.

If you haven't seen it, you should watch the top gear comparing the 997 Carrera S, Aston Martin, and M6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUgMX_0J5Bc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3PcUg_FzjI

Originally Posted by sshu930
I know that this is a P-car board but would like to get your guys opinion on this. I'm looking for a weekend car and it comes down to the M6 or 996TT. Here are my thoughts on each,

M6
It would be getting the 6 speed manual because I don't trust the SMG out of warranty. One of the biggest things I like about the car is the engine and the sound it makes, especially with an exhaust. By the time I'm ready to get it, the car would be out of warranty but everything would be relatively new/good condition. I actually like the looks. I'm a fan of the technology and always thought a CF roof was cool. I have a mechanic who is very reasonable incase I have repairs. It's not a small car but don't mind the size coming from a M5.

996TT
It would be very lightly modded and I would get a 01-02. Worried about lotsa little things going wrong being such a old car especially since I don't know any trusted mechanic in my area(I"m sure I could find one). The car is a little dated inside and out. Always wanted a turbo but don't mind waiting to get a 997TT when the prices come down.

Both cars are great bargains and I can't lose either way. Any thoughts?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Also, you can get into a 996tt for a lot less than a 07 6speed M6 (from the one's I've seen for sale...)

Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
996tt... best bang-for-the-buck.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
I went through a similar process, and test drove a M6 among the others. While I won't comment on the appearance as that is purely subjective, I once read that the M6/M5 are both better suited with the SMG transmission. BMW only put a 6-speed in there to satisfy some...now you can do some research to validate what I said. Back to SMG, as I lived with it for a few years in the M3, it isn't the best transmission of all as we all know by now, it does shift quick but not smooth (regardless of your settings from soft > hard). A friend of mine does have a M5 with Eis exhaust (so as you can get beautiful sound by upgrading the 996 exhaust), and that thing does sound awesome, and it truly doesn't feel like you are driving a boat.

Back to my world, 996TT is always a dream car to me...and I love the freedom of modding and can actually see/feel the results. Plus, you probably can't lose much $$ buying a 01/02 996 at this point...versus the M6. If you get tired of whichever car you decided to go with, you might want to consider the depreciation factor as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm pretty sure there was a lawsuit that forced BMW to go ahead and stick a manual in the M5 and M6, so to spite the people they just plopped the old 6speed from the E39 in there and it's supposedly inferior by a long shot. There was no design element to it.

M6's have some PULL on them on the highway, they have no idea they are about 4k lbs when they are above 100 mph. Very good highway cars, nice and comfy, great for a DD and just overall nice looking car. Exhaust does sound very good too. Will likely put the beat down on a stock TT on the highway.

The Turbo is not big or comfy, but far more nimble and sporty and FAR FAR more potential. And if you plan on tracking, that's where the M6 will be way behind.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:30 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
I would say that if it's just going to be to and from work and mostly highway driving, go with the M6. You'll still have the power there for those stoplight drags, but you'll be way more comfortable on the highway and in heavy traffic.

Not sure about he depreciation, but you'll surely take a bigger hit on the newer BMW rather than the older Porsche.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
I am currently in this market as well, most likely end up with the M5 since 4 seats wont work. The SMG isnt terrible so long as you know it isnt a tq converter slushbox....

Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KPG
most likely end up with the M5 since 4 seats wont work.
I don't understand this statement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts in getting a M6 instead of a 996TT?