996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SunCoast Porsche - 997 Short Shift Kit Instal on 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Simi_996 will become famous soon enoughSimi_996 will become famous soon enough
Yes! Mike is sticking with a 996. Can't wait to see his detailed posts for his next car.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
mike i installed a b&m some years ago it,s a little notchie but way better than the stock shifter and it's not plastic . is the 997 as smooth as everyone sez?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steve harris
mike i installed a b&m some years ago it,s a little notchie but way better than the stock shifter and it's not plastic . is the 997 as smooth as everyone sez?
I had a b&m shifter prior to the 997ssk and in comparison the b&m is inferior in every way. I couldnt believe the difference. There is just no contest.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 01-16-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM
ralphturbo is on a distinguished road
shifter install

i would just like to thank you for taking the time to post this diy. just did mine and the detail's were to the tee thank you ralph

Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Not to revive an old thread, but for you that have not done this yet, there is one other little trick to make taking the consol out is after you remove the access plate in the center storage compartment you can see the e brake adjustment threaded shaft. Block your wheels, put the e brake handle all the way down, then take off the nuts and spacer. Then you can pull your e brake handle up much higher to give yourself some more room to get the consol in and out. Also the shift cable retaining clips are held in place by two very fragile plastic tabs that are part of the shift cables that break really easy. This mod is well worth the effort. Solid sure shifts.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 01-27-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:53 AM
smithk3933 has a spectacular aura aboutsmithk3933 has a spectacular aura about
Planning on doing the B&M to 997SSK in the near future and had a question before proceeding, it may be obvious once i get into it.

When marking the cables and counting the threads before removing the old shifter, does the shifter need to be in neutral or does it matter? Or does the alignment tool go on the old shifter before removal?

Thanks

keith

Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Shifter need to be neutral. Someone in your area shuold have the piece that holds it in place. Maybe you can borrow it.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 PM
smithk3933 has a spectacular aura aboutsmithk3933 has a spectacular aura about
I understood that the new 997 SSK comes with the green bracket. Can this be used on the original shifter and then put back on the new SSK? None of the DIY articles talk about the position of the old shifter before removal, just to mark the cables and count the threads.

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure what's going on here, don't want to break this clip

Just pry it out with a small flat head, does it pop all the way off ? Any tips on this step would be great, looks fragile, so I didn't want to pull too hard.

Thanks.

Name:  Coinholder.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Colt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really nice
I just finished my install, looks like my old B&M was installed incorrectly by the previous owner. The new 997 SSK is so much better!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM
voodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to behold
im probably going to be the only one but i love the notchiness of the bm shifter. i bought mine for 50 on ebay probably from one of you, and spent hours adjusting it while driving around to make it go pefectly into gears. the settings where a bit different then the way it was set stock now but it feels good and predictable.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
This is why us DIYers write these little articles!! I'm glad you guys are still using it!

Mike

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by Colt45ccg
...looks like my old B&M was installed incorrectly by the previous owner.
I'm thinking this is likely the reason why so many people with the B&M shifter have had issues.

My B&M (self-installed) works perfectly.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by voodoojar
im probably going to be the only one but i love the notchiness of the bm shifter.
You're not the only one; I love my B&M (although I'd describe the feel of my B&M as "rifle bolt-like", not "notchy").

Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
You're not the only one; I love my B&M (although I'd describe the feel of my B&M as "rifle bolt-like", not "notchy").
Agree

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SunCoast Porsche - 997 Short Shift Kit Instal on 996TT