996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Adding a Custom Trunk Trickle Charging Port (Another SWR How To)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Adding a Custom Trunk Trickle Charging Port (Another SWR How To)

Well I (SWR) have come up with another way to waste your time in the garage working on your car. Well isn't that what a lot of us like to do? It will not make your car go faster, the added weight may even slow it down. But you will enjoy the convenience, I do.

This simple mod is intended to add an additional 12v trickle charging port in the car's trunk. Why you may ask? Basically because I am lazy.
Currently to install a trickle charger, either long term or for an over night battery charge, you have to either get into the car and plug a charger into the Cigar Lighter socket, or open the trunk, take the battery cover off, and connect up a conventional charger.

As my car is parked close to the right side of the garage, the passenger door is hard to open without the potential of some unintended door rash on a nearby table a table saw or other objects that are in the way. It is far easier to open the trunk and connect a charger there.

This mod conviently doubles up as a 12v power port in the trunk to power any 12v appliance such as a small car vacuum cleaner. It is easy to install and the parts can be found almost anywhere. We got ours from West Marine as boat parts tend to be better quality than those for a car, as they have to survive a harsher environment.

I hope you enjoy this time waster as much as I do.

Please paste this text into your browser address line to see the complete document.

impconcepts.com/porschetrunkchargingportinstall.htm

SWR

Attached Images   

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 02-26-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Michael-Dallas is on a distinguished road
That's one way of doing it. My Battery Tender has a quick disconnect that connects to either a cigarette adapter or an adapter that bolts directly on to the battery.

///Michael

Old 02-25-2010, 03:08 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Wrap that cord in something to keep it off the paint. Nice idea.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
I like it Shok.

But I don't see a fuse; It's very important to have one right by the battery (if you don't).
Otherwise it's a recipe for fire (ask me how I know!)

Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Danyol
I like it Shok.

But I don't see a fuse; It's very important to have one right by the battery (if you don't).
Otherwise it's a recipe for fire (ask me how I know!)
Agree! I am going to add a 15 amp fuse in the Loom (In Line) just did not have one on hand at the time. I have fuses in each charger going to it.

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 02-26-2010 at 04:55 AM.