6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   What is considered high miles on a 996 turbo? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/210222-what-considered-high-miles-996-turbo.html)

anothervr6kid 05-05-2010 10:35 PM

What is considered high miles on a 996 turbo?

I've seen all sort of miles on them, what is considered high? I was reading a post where someone was saying 60k was high on a 996 non turbo and that confused me.

Steve01tt 05-05-2010 11:19 PM

Like most cars, I think it more impotant that regular maintenance has been followed on the car and that nothing has been deferred. I'd rather buy a car with 60k miles that has been lovingly maintained than one with 15k that has been neglected. Outside of a handful of well known issues that each model/year seem to have, these cars are very, very well made and should last for many years.

deckman 05-06-2010 05:17 AM

Depends on the car. A well cared for car with a stock motor should be fine for a long time and I would buy one with less than 50K miles, knowing I'd be the one riding it into it's high miles life.

I don't think I'd buy a car with heavy performance mods where the mods have more than 15K miles on them regardless of the total miles on the car. I don't have any proof, but my intuition says those cars, if pushed regularly will have a shorter lifespan than unmodified ones, regardless of how well they are maintained. Flamesuit on.

Hogapalooza 05-06-2010 06:16 AM

It's subjective to the buyer.

ShokWaveRider 05-06-2010 06:33 AM

IMO it depends on what you have the car for. In my case it is for maintiaining a (perhaps someday) collectors car quality vehicle with "tastefull" must have options/modifications. Exhaust Headers, Actuators, Modest (as opposed to radical) Flash, and absolutely NO Track time! I personally think that that is where the cars get abused or should I re-phrase that to stretched to their limits (Otherwise why Track?). I do not mean that literally, but why do some of these mods if you are not going to use them on the track (800+ Horses etc., not much street value there IMO)?

Street use is a different story, IMHO. You cannot really thrash a car to it's max potential on the street, and I think you would be silly if you tried. But I like to think that my car can run to it's full potential if required. Anyway less of my rambling here.

In this case it is all about the miles, the lower the better. I have had my car for 1+ years, done only the "must have" mods that should have been on the car in the first place. It has still only 6,500 miles on it, not bad for a 2005!

I would like to think that anyone who owns my car(s) after me, gets the best possible value for their investment.

I personally would never buy a tracked car, which is why those who have tracked their cars tend to de-mod them prior to resale, I am sue just to try and hoodwink potential buyers into "thinking" that they are getting a stock car. (Just check the for sale section of this forum) The trained eye can easily tell this, and Porsche Turbo owners certainly are not stupid, so I do not know why they do it. Perhaps to recoup some of their investment.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

SWR

NOLA911 05-06-2010 07:13 AM

Forget all that... buy it, enjoy it, pile the miles on it, and buy another one when your done. I see no point in having a garage queen and doubt the idea of a mass produced car being a collector one day.

The turbo is a very very well built car with a very solid powerplant. The 996 NA is a very well built car with the reputation of a faulty powerplant. There are some on here with over 200k miles on turbo cars with very few maintenance issues. The key is just getting a car that has been cared for and serviced as needed.

6500 miles in 5 years? I put 6000 miles on my turbo in the last 3 months and 6000 on my non turbo in the last 6 months. - enjoy the ride!

fdorn 05-06-2010 07:21 AM

"Forget all that... buy it, enjoy it, pile the miles on it"

+1 My goal is to drive it into the dirt....My cost per mile is diminshing everyday....Only car I have had that enjoy more than the day I bought and it drives better than the day I bought (that part cost some dough - but worth it).

Any weather, everyday, blasting around the track, there just is nothing like it.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...rules/w3-1.jpg

Originally Posted by NOLA911 (Post 2830162)
Forget all that... buy it, enjoy it, pile the miles on it, and buy another one when your done. I see no point in having a garage queen and doubt the idea of a mass produced car being a collector one day.

The turbo is a very very well built car with a very solid powerplant. The 996 NA is a very well built car with the reputation of a faulty powerplant. There are some on here with over 200k miles on turbo cars with very few maintenance issues. The key is just getting a car that has been cared for and serviced as needed.

6500 miles in 5 years? I put 6000 miles on my turbo in the last 3 months and 6000 on my non turbo in the last 6 months. - enjoy the ride!

ShokWaveRider 05-06-2010 07:25 AM

OK I get it. But I can wish right? There is always a market for a Low Miles Car (Folk Like Me:)) You are correct it is a GQ, bt it is also a 3rd car for nice weather.

SWR

tvurt 05-06-2010 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider (Post 2830102)
I personally would never buy a tracked car, which is why those who have tracked their cars tend to de-mod them prior to resale, I am sue just to try and hoodwink potential buyers into "thinking" that they are getting a stock car. (Just check the for sale section of this forum) The trained eye can easily tell this, and Porsche Turbo owners certainly are not stupid, so I do not know why they do it. Perhaps to recoup some of their investment.

Ya you would not want to buy a car that has been lovingly maintained, with fresh brake fluid,pads and oil changes all the time, only the best in tires, alignment, running gear. The great majority of owners that track a car are freaks about care.

I am far more scared of a guy that gets a tune some parts, and then beats the crap out of the car street racing every week, with hard launches poor gas and no maintenance.

People takes mods off of a car not to "hide" things but because the car is worth about the same with or without the mods. I sold 15k in parts off of my last 911, and expect to do the same when I am done with the 996tt.

For the OP, its not the miles its the condition of the car. I would personally avoid cars with less then 20k and more then 80k miles. They both have there share of problems. Get a well sorted 30k example and drive it!

Tom

NOLA911 05-06-2010 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider (Post 2830179)
OK I get it. But I can wish right? There is always a market for a Low Miles Car (Folk Like Me:)) You are correct it is a GQ, bt it is also a 3rd car for nice weather.

SWR

Im just giving you a hard time. After using 3/4 a tank of gas in my commute and visiting jobsites in new orleans traffic on monday, I bought a new DD camry hybrid yesterday and will get it tomorrow. It will be my miserable traffic car and the porsche brigade will be used for play and office days... I play a lot!

ShokWaveRider 05-06-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by tvurt (Post 2830206)
Ya you would not want to buy a car that has been lovingly maintained, with fresh brake fluid,pads and oil changes all the time, only the best in tires, alignment, running gear. The great majority of owners that track a car are freaks about care.

I did not mean any disrespect for the Trackers at all. We will just have to agree to differ, my engineer mind does not think that way. All the care and maintenancne in the world does not reduce the onsets of material stress and metal fatigue.

I am far more scared of a guy that gets a tune some parts, and then beats the crap out of the car street racing every week, with hard launches poor gas and no maintenance.

Come on, it is a Porsche not a sooped up Honda or Subaru.

People takes mods off of a car not to "hide" things but because the car is worth about the same with or without the mods. I sold 15k in parts off of my last 911, and expect to do the same when I am done with the 996tt.

Point taken and I did mention that part.

For the OP, its not the miles its the condition of the car. I would personally avoid cars with less then 20k and more then 80k miles. They both have there share of problems. Get a well sorted 30k example and drive it!

Your opinion, the only parts that deteriorate with low miles are things like rubber etc or the onset of corrosion. That is where care and maintenance come into play.

I suppose if I told you I did all my own maintenance etc. wherever possible the correct tools permitting, that would also put you off also. I challenge any independent party to maintain my cars as well as I do.

Again, I did just say all this was my opinion. It has not changed.

SWR.

tvurt 05-06-2010 08:50 AM

That is the beauty of these boards... its all just opinions hilarious

This one I have a very different opinion about however:

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider (Post 2830248)
Come on, it is a Porsche not a sooped up Honda or Subaru.

I can't count the times I have seen great cars abused on the streets. Hook into your local street racing and just watch the 17 year old with their dad's 911 turbo, Z06, GTR. At the very least watch some of the videos that are posted here:D

Your opinion, the only parts that deteriorate with low miles are things like rubber etc or the onset of corrosion.

I firmly believe that it takes somewhere between 15k - 20k to properly sort a car. I have had just as many problems with my GC cars as a properly maintained 70k 911. For example my 996tt had the transmission replaced at 14k for the 2nd gear pop out.

I suppose if I told you I did all my own maintenance etc. wherever possible the correct tools permitting, that would also put you off also. I challenge any independent party to maintain my cars as well as I do.

Not at all, I do the same. I have others mount my tires, and align my cars, but that is it!

Tom

Nikolas 05-06-2010 09:11 AM

Mine will be me daily driver. I get tons of snow where I am. All winter it will have a rack and a roof box. I'll get tons of crap from my friends at the ski hill! It will be great.

ShokWaveRider 05-06-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by tvurt (Post 2830283)
Not at all, I do the same. I have others mount my tires, and align my cars, but that is it!

Tom

OK NOW I like you.... Opinions or not... :)

XLR82XS 05-06-2010 10:07 AM

Agreed. Theses cars were made to be driven. It bothers me SO much that a friend of mine has a beautiful stable of cars that NEVER get driven! If there is no rain/snow/salt I'm driving my car. If I road trip it and caught in the rain then so be it. I'm very focused on cleanliness and maintenance.