6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/210711-complete-road-racing-thread-take-your-car-track.html)

FAST FWD 06-28-2011 05:02 PM

Barber weekend

3 Attachment(s)
OK, here's a video link. This was from my first day on the track. It's a pretty complicated track with a lot of subtleties that I haven't figured out yet. Lots of shifting - you have to be able to heel and toe at this place! What a fun track.

Saturday was really hot - 96 degrees and Alabama humid. Sunday was a little better, at least there was some occasional cloud cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjo7VxjjeM

ipapilot 07-05-2011 05:54 PM

Hey Jon, I'm just a lurker here... If you are planning to attend any future DEs at Barber, feel free to look me up. I'd love to help you drop some time at Barber. Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves.

Brian Starr
AL PCA Treasurer
(and the guy who found your mop:)

buddyg 07-07-2011 06:56 PM

I will be at Grattan September 10-11 with the West Michigan Porsche club. If anyone wants to go Grattan is a great track and I can be your host.

FAST FWD 07-07-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ipapilot (Post 3251623)
Hey Jon, I'm just a lurker here... If you are planning to attend any future DEs at Barber, feel free to look me up. I'd love to help you drop some time at Barber. Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves.

Brian Starr
AL PCA Treasurer
(and the guy who found your mop:)

Thanks Brian. It was really a nice event, and a great track. I'd like to take you up on your offer. It's such a nice track, but also a really long drive for me (10 hours). I hope to get back there next year.

I found the rest of the mop by the door in the garage, more than 20 feet away. A really industrious mouse!

Jon

HowlerMonkey 07-11-2011 11:05 PM

I'm sure you PBIR (moroso) guys have seen this one putting in some really fast laps.

http://www.performancepowerracing.co...091_resize.jpg

2muchtime 07-12-2011 06:57 AM

I go out to PBIR quite a bit and haven't seen it yet? Looking forward to it though, this weekend PBOC and next weekend H.O.D. maybe then..

MRE 08-17-2011 08:00 PM

I just sold my 996tt track car. I am going to miss it. I am going to be posting in the classified section my safety and speed bolt ons that I removed. GT3 seats, bk harnesss bar, kwv3, etc.

buddyg 08-18-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by MRE (Post 3290200)
I just sold my 996tt track car. I am going to miss it. I am going to be posting in the classified section my safety and speed bolt ons that I removed. GT3 seats, bk harnesss bar, kwv3, etc.

Pics of the ride, please!

Savetheclutch 10-05-2011 10:52 AM

guys I need some advice.. is a rwd 996tt a good car to start tracking? I really want to get into the sport but I am kind of affraid of starting with this car :(

heavychevy 10-06-2011 12:30 PM

Does it have an LSD? How much HP? Suspension?

Savetheclutch 10-06-2011 01:55 PM

I am not sure if it has an LSD as it was RWD when I got it, I have to check but I might turn it back to awd. I am putting down high 5xxrwhp.. as for suspension JIC Cross competition 15 way adjustable.

I signed for my first track day on the 22nd at NJMP thunderbolt, hopefully I don't end up against a wall haha

TimAZ 05-18-2012 01:25 PM

Cool Carbon Brake Pads

I just wanted to post an update on Cool Carbon Brake Pads for track use. I used these pads at a track in Wilcox, AZ. Not a hard braking layout. Some may have better results but my results were not good. After a cool down lap I still had smoking front brake pads. I do drive the car very close to it's limits. Just my two cents. :(
Tim

2muchtime 05-18-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by TimAZ (Post 3547634)
I just wanted to post an update on Cool Carbon Brake Pads for track use. I used these pads at a track in Wilcox, AZ. Not a hard braking layout. Some may have better results but my results were not good. After a cool down lap I still had smoking front brake pads. I do drive the car very close to it's limits. Just my two cents. :(
Tim

Try PFC's 01 rear and 08's in the front, really good pads, no bedding required and Daytona, Sebring, Homestead and PBIR tough on brakes never had a problem with them and you can run to the plates!

f1crazydriver 05-19-2012 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by TimAZ (Post 3547634)
Tim

Tim,

I was one the first user to use CoolCarbons and report back. Cool Carbons are great for street and semi track. I also drive harder than norm. Two things come to mind.

1. Are you using something other than stock brake pads
2. for 10/10s these pads are not the best-- but you need to give them a few cool down laps.

johnmiller 07-26-2012 09:29 AM

this is pretty complicated track.. cornering are difficult.. nice job.