996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:53 PM
fsti is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Watching Bucky Lasek move through the pack in Viper Cup at Long Pond, Pa impressive..I think he's up to like 3rd so far..

Old 10-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Sunexim is on a distinguished road
Porsche is looking great on this track.It will be intersecting to know about the competition with other men machine which are in competition with Pors. I hope it will never let them down. Very nice track .I would love to drive on it

Last edited by Sunexim; 06-30-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Just a quick question for all those hard car trackers! Is there really a difference between triple adjustable JRZ and Motons? You can PM if you like. I am close to upgrading my suspension and before I pull the trigger I would like to have some feed back.
Sincerely
Robert

Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Just a quick question for all those hard car trackers! Is there really a difference between triple adjustable JRZ and Motons? You can PM if you like. I am close to upgrading my suspension and before I pull the trigger I would like to have some feed back.
Sincerely
Robert
The actual differences are small, both are excellent setups. JRZ was derived from aformer Moton partner so they are actually very similar. And both have support guys hat are probably two of the bestvat helping you get set up. Bryan from JRZ and Lex from Moton. You can't lose with either imo. 3 ways will take a lot of setting up though so beware.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Heavy! I truly appreciate your insight.
Cheers
Robert

Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
What about the JIC Cross Competition?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
What about the JIC Cross Competition?
Plenty good enough to go fast with but not on the same level of precision and adjustability. Think of comparing a bare bones 997 to a 997 GT2 RS. The maximum ability is way higher on the RS but the level of difficulty to reach that maximum is too. 3 ways are no joke to set up.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
You may not be able to get all the parts necessary to assemble a Cross coilover setup for your car. I tried to do it for mine and they didn't have all the parts. I ended up purchasing used. Had 3-way Motons on when it was a track car. You really need to be able to feel what the car is doing to get them set up properly. If you don't have a good sense of the very subtle actions of the car, don't spend the extra bucks for the low speed compression adjustment.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Think of comparing a bare bones 997 to a 997 GT2 RS. The maximum ability is way higher on the RS but the level of difficulty to reach that maximum is too. 3 ways are no joke to set up.
+1 you can get the trickest suspension out there with high speed and low speed compression and rebound which has alot more potential but if you can't set it up you can actually make the car handle worst. Sometimes less is more, a single or double adjustable shock will yield better result for most people unless you have the experience or patience to work with 3 or 4 way adjustable suspension.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
I get fair amount of lift at the front end of my car at high speeds on the track, especially at the back straight of Mosport which makes the front end light and the steering a little twitchy, does anyone else have this problem?...is there a cure for it?

I was thinking of playing with the rake of the car to see if this will help.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
What are your current fr and rear ride heights?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
What are your current fr and rear ride heights?
I'm not sure since the indy shop set the alignment. I do know it is not at GT2 ride height because when I asked them to set it at that ride height they said they can't go that low with the PSS9's I have on the car because I will be riding the bump stops. I'm guessing it's around 1.5 inchs lower than stock.

The shop has setup alot of TT's for street track use and have been able to go lower on the ride height with other TT's running different shocks but with the PSS9's they have run into problems with the car bottoming if they go to low.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I would try to get the numbers if I were u. Any shop worth their salt would've kept a record. Increasing rake should give some help. You will probably need to gain it by raising rear ride height.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 PM
I know they keep records of my alignments on file but I don't recall seeing anything for ride height. I know I can't go lower, they set it as low as they could for the PSS9's.

Do you feel if my car was lower it would help with the problem?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Going lower ( not to the point of creating suspension geometry problems) will always help bc there will be less air able to get under the front end. The key ingredient will still be rake of at least 20mm, IMO. That's why I suggested going higher in the rear and not lower in the front bc of the Pss9's.

Of course going lower all the way around means another type of coil over system. My ride heights are currently about 110mm on the front and 125 in the rear. I don't have any problems with those settings but have only had the car to low 150's last weekend at Road Atlanta. I have the stock spoiler on the front, not the Aero.

It's my understanding that the 996 body style with factory settings actually creates a small amount of lift at high speed. Not sure why Porsche would do that but nonetheloess that's what I read a few years ago. Don't know if info is reliable or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!