996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 front turn signal failure

Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
So I have had this drivers side headlamp unit in my basement for the past few years. I've never really tried to figure out what was causing the blinker to flash quickly. Today I open up the housing behind the bulb and it is clean as a whistle, as in looks brand new. What specifically should I look for there? I did bend the contacts, maybe that will do it.

Regarding the main white connector, is pin 5 supposed to be absent?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by deckman
So I have had this drivers side headlamp unit in my basement for the past few years. I've never really tried to figure out what was causing the blinker to flash quickly. Today I open up the housing behind the bulb and it is clean as a whistle, as in looks brand new. What specifically should I look for there? I did bend the contacts, maybe that will do it.

Regarding the main white connector, is pin 5 supposed to be absent?
What have you been using these last few years? Did you get a new unit? Try bending the metal contacts out slightly on the bottom and sides. Also, I made sure the female plug (still in the car) pins are clean and bent towards the middle (from top and bottom). And yes, one pin is not used. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
that's what I love about this site. A simple post about an indicator problem can become so interesting. Its a surprise to hear of so many same issues with indicator units and that just who are on this forum. How many ROW have the same issue?
Anyway, that's me subscribed for when mines goes.
Excellent post , very informative.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerodude
What have you been using these last few years? Did you get a new unit? Try bending the metal contacts out slightly on the bottom and sides. Also, I made sure the female plug (still in the car) pins are clean and bent towards the middle (from top and bottom). And yes, one pin is not used. Good luck.
Thanks. I've been driving a different car That unit was from my 996 C2 that I sold a couple years ago. I replaced the entire unit at the time since I had to pass an inspection. I found a replacement on ebay for about $500. I'd like to get this one permanently fixed though, and probably sell it.

Did you know the TT and the C2 xenon headlamps are slightly different cosmetically?

Old 10-14-2011, 02:03 PM
I bent the contacts inward slightly on the bulb housing and the pins that connect to the car. Same issue. It does the same thing as it did with my last car. Swapped the original unit back into the TT and it works normally, which was expected.

I originally had the dealer look at it and they just called it a headlamp failure. Lots of help there. As far as I can tell there hasn't been a firm diagnosis of this problem by anyone. Some people have gotten lucky by manipulating pins and contacts though. It's a shame to have an otherwise pristine headlight unit collect dust.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
dherrick is on a distinguished road
Smile

I want to say thanks to the contributors to this forum. I just had the classic symptoms described here on my 2003 996 TT. Drivers side front turn signal not working. I replaced the bulb to no avail.

After reading the posts here I removed the headlight assembly and bent the turn signal contacts in the headlight assembly inward as described and problem solved.

Thanks again to all.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dherrick
I want to say thanks to the contributors to this forum. I just had the classic symptoms described here on my 2003 996 TT. Drivers side front turn signal not working. I replaced the bulb to no avail.

After reading the posts here I removed the headlight assembly and bent the turn signal contacts in the headlight assembly inward as described and problem solved.

Thanks again to all.
Yes -- there are some quirky things with our cars and this is the best place to find out about them. I'm still trying to figure out why it seems to always be the driver's side signal. Anyone got a theory on that one?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 AM
superchicken is on a distinguished road
Just reinforcing fix to the front turn signal. Replacing bulb was not the fix. Slightly bent the center tab in the turn signal light socket upward. Makes the bulb fit more snugly. Operation OK now. Great forum.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Sabie is on a distinguished road
Same issue with my 02 TT, just started happening this afternoon, this is a great forum with lots of info, I always read it prior to going to the dealers. I will be doing the same with the pins, TY to all for posting useful info on this site.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
This thread saved me a lot of hassle(and probably a ton of money). Bending the tabs worked great!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Just happen to me. Same drivers side light. I bought and installed a new bulb and no luck.

I got on the 6'r and low and behold... others suffering from the same flu like symptoms!

I pulled the bulb/socket out of the headlight unit and bulb out of the socket. I bent the connector in the socket upward and re-installed the bulb into the socket. I then looked inside the headlight unit and found the two connectors and with a small screwdriver bent both tabs inward toward the inside (or socket) then reinstalled the bulb/socket then unit. When I hit the blinker... Yes! It was flashing... doing it's thing! Thank you all! Good stuff!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
same as others. bulb replaced but no luck. bending the contacts worked. great resource, this place.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Same prob with mine (drivers ). Will bend tabs when back in town !

Old 11-28-2013, 02:48 PM
docjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the rough
Showed this little diddy to my Porsche Mechanic. Thank you 6speedonline!!!!

Old 11-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
It usually blinks fast when there is a bad connection...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996 front turn signal failure