996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can you disable the brake pad sensors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
Can you disable the brake pad sensors?

My brake pad sensors are broken and im wondering if there`s any way to remove this function and dont have a warninglight? thankfull for any tips

Old 08-01-2010, 02:56 PM
BOXER4 is on a distinguished road
yep you can grab the old sensors from your pads and cut the plug off leaving about an inch of wire. The grab a heat shrink tube, solder the wires, melt the heat shrink and re-attach the plug to the plug on the car....do that times 4 and no warning lights will pop up...

easy job

Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 PM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BOXER4
yep you can grab the old sensors from your pads and cut the plug off leaving about an inch of wire. The grab a heat shrink tube, solder the wires, melt the heat shrink and re-attach the plug to the plug on the car....do that times 4 and no warning lights will pop up...

easy job
thanks alot!!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:32 PM
BOXER4 is on a distinguished road
no probs ...the sensors are actually pretty cheap, but the day I replaced my brakes I didn't want to see any lights so I did the quick fix....and then never ended up going to the dealer to buy the new sensors lol.... :P

Old 08-01-2010, 05:57 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BOXER4

easy job
Even easier: remove sensors from pads and tie onto the strut with a wrap-tie. The light goes on when the sensor makes contact with the rotor.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 PM
mtesh73 will become famous soon enough
i have the same problem on my wifes cayenne>>>>

i broke the sensors upon removing the old pads and was too lazy to replace them. so i now get the "brake pads workshop" message when the truck is started. if i were to "bypass" the sensors and connect the 2 wires and heat shrink as mentioned in the previous post will the warning light go away or does it need to be deleted at the dealership?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mtesh73
i broke the sensors upon removing the old pads and was too lazy to replace them. so i now get the "brake pads workshop" message when the truck is started. if i were to "bypass" the sensors and connect the 2 wires and heat shrink as mentioned in the previous post will the warning light go away or does it need to be deleted at the dealership?
The light will just go away once the sensors "fixed"

Old 08-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks alot for the help guys, it worked just as you said!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Bill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura aboutBill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura aboutBill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura about
Great tip!

Just did all four corners of my 03 C4 Cab. Every time I washed the car, the "brake pad" light would come on and stayed on till the brakes were totally dry. Clipped the end off, wrapped them, and put it all back together. Works like a charm! Thanks guys!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:59 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I did the same.

Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Even easier: remove sensors from pads and tie onto the strut with a wrap-tie. The light goes on when the sensor makes contact with the rotor.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Scawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really nice
I soldered the ends on mine so I don't have to worry about them coming apart.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0325.jpg
Views:	4752
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	365377  
Old 05-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Blue Chip is on a distinguished road
Old thread but for those that don't want to have to worry about the sensors every time you change brake pads (often if you track) this is the right solution. I bought new sensors - but until I sell the car - I will not install them. Brake pad changes take less time that removing the wheel this way.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Nashunt is on a distinguished road
still a puzzle.

The photo was very useful. I just twisted the wires togethe, shrink wrapped and tied to the strut but did not see the dash light go out. i can easily go to soldering or a better connection. Do i need to re-set the light in some way?

Old 11-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
As post #7 says, the light will go out once you have 4 good connections. Simple twisting together and then shrink tube worked for me. Perhaps you need to clean the connectors?