996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fun Day At Alices Restaurant.. TURBOS Galore

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hedonistic
Maybe in a separate thread you can give us (me) some insight in to your alignment settings. I went on a road trip through the twisties and I felt an little unnerved. My old Boxster seemed to handle better.

Will your better handling alignment wear the tires out faster?
Solid bushing on adjustable dog bones
Solid bushings on adjustable toe links
gt2/3 front control arms
Ruf springs

2.8 negative front camber
2.4 negative rear camber
1/16toe out front
3/32nds to in rear
32 front tire pressure 34 rear tire pressure HOT

This setup will feel about 90% of what a gt2 feels like. Thats what Graham and I concluded after driving each others cars. The tire wear is not to bad in the front but at the rear it really depends how you drive. If you baby around then yes you will get a lot of toe wear. If you drive like a maniac like Graham and myself, you will get even wear. Also please note that rear end will be happy with these settings BUT with lots of grip- it's just finding the confidence with the car. I'm not sure of your skill level of how you feel with the back end feeling very directional and responsive. Graham and I like this as we both use to race karts in the pass..... i have to go but if you have anymore questions - i'll asnwer them

From what I felt after driving the gt2 and my car. My car feels like it had a heavier front, harder steering feeling. While the GT2 feels very light and very quick directional. My rear felt much lighter and easier to control while the gt2 felt heavier and a bit more menasing.

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 08-08-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Too bad we didn't to compare our two cars yesterday. Maybe next time out we can do a direct comparison and post the results.

I had my PSS9's and H&R sway bars installed last week. Here are the settings:

1.0 negative front camber
2.0 negative rear camber
1/16 toe out front
3/16 toe in rear

H and R swaybars front and rear set to middle setting

Corner Balance
LF: 669
RF: 654

LR: 1066
RR: 1069

As I mentioned in another thread - These are HUGE improvements over the stock units I had on the car. Bump steer and front end float are gone and car feels much more secure to me.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
For sure Mike needs a ride in Tony's

Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 997xpress
Too bad we didn't to compare our two cars yesterday. Maybe next time out we can do a direct comparison and post the results.

I had my PSS9's and H&R sway bars installed last week. Here are the settings:

2.0 negative rear camber
1/16 toe out front
3/16 toe in rear

H and R swaybars front and rear set to middle setting

Corner Balance
LF: 669
RF: 654

LR: 1066
RR: 1069

As I mentioned in another thread - These are HUGE improvements over the stock units I had on the car. Bump steer and front end float are gone and car feels much more secure to me.
Tony was this the 1.0 negative camber the maximum they could achieve with the turbo control arms?

Im curious if i really need to buy the gt3 control arms or not.

i would love to go for a spin in your car sometime especially as we are running those amazing pirelli's... haha

Mike

Last edited by porka; 08-08-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
More alignment specs -

In an effort to get more members cars aligned with the 'right' setup I thought I'd share some scans of my recent dealer alignments.

The first two are from the dealer where I purchased the car and were done during the CPO process. It was nice of them to include all the service records and this data to me when I received the car with 48K miles.

The last scan (fuzzy one) is the spec from my local dealer when I went in for a wheel balance and 'better' alignment (51K miles). I was attempting to get the suspension dialed in at the time. Little did I realize nothing they did was going to fix the worn out shocks, bump steer and front end float. My Bilsteins and sway bars fixed that!

I'm curious as to what you guys think of these numbers since I assume most P dealers would use the same settings for the majority of their 996TT customers.

Attached Images    
Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like a fun drive. Next time give us a heads up, would love to join.

Where did you corner balance? my specs are a bit different but would love to compare when we meet.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997xpress
More alignment specs -

In an effort to get more members cars aligned with the 'right' setup I thought I'd share some scans of my recent dealer alignments.

The first two are from the dealer where I purchased the car and were done during the CPO process. It was nice of them to include all the service records and this data to me when I received the car with 48K miles.

The last scan (fuzzy one) is the spec from my local dealer when I went in for a wheel balance and 'better' alignment (51K miles). I was attempting to get the suspension dialed in at the time. Little did I realize nothing they did was going to fix the worn out shocks, bump steer and front end float. My Bilsteins and sway bars fixed that!

I'm curious as to what you guys think of these numbers since I assume most P dealers would use the same settings for the majority of their 996TT customers.
Tony, if these are your present settings:

2.0 negative rear camber
1/16 toe out front
3/16 toe in rear

Then they mostly look pretty good... Usually the problem with the 911 style Cars is that they understeer.. Your figures would suggest to me that your Car probably does still have a bit of understeer left.. The front camber looks too low to me... The rest of the settings look pretty decent.. Depending on your driving style and how you feel your front end is behaving, you could try some more front camber. If you look at my settings, or Enrique's, you will notice that we have more front camber than rear. This is to move the overall grip balance towards the front of the Car.

The most important thing though, is how the Car feels to you and whether or not those settings allow you to drive the Car the way you like. Enrique and I like a bit more front end grip and more rear end quickness due to our track day needs. Our Cars turn in VERY, VERY fast and the rear is set to be able to follow the front, but the rear still has tons of grip.. it's just able to change direction very quickly. Some people might find our setup a tad unstable, especially for street.

Cheers, Graham.