6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   I never thought I'd say this..... (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/220506-i-never-thought-id-say.html)

timf 08-17-2010 01:08 PM

I never thought I'd say this.....

but in a lot of ways my Mini Cooper S is more fun to drive than the turbo !!

OK so it lacks the ultimate push of the turbo (by a long way) but for sheer 'chuckability' the Mini takes a lot of beating. Reminds me of go kart like handling.

I know we're not comparing apples to apples, but anyone else here have both a TT and a Mini like to comment ?

Durango Kid 08-17-2010 02:03 PM

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow.

Mini is a fun car.

Scottslaw 08-17-2010 02:07 PM

In some ways I agree...my old 2.5l boxster was extremely fun to drive, even though short in the horespower category.

2muchtime 08-17-2010 02:08 PM

Met a guy at PBIR who had a CS and traded for a mini, he said the same,

MY996TT 08-17-2010 02:34 PM

I have a Mini too but not S; taking a corner at 130 is fun in a TT, but taking a corner at 90 is scary in a Mini.

gsr355 08-17-2010 02:42 PM

I feel the same way, but instead a mini cooper, I always enjoy getting into my E36 M3. I just love the way that car handles.

emadelta86 08-17-2010 02:55 PM

I had more fun in my 996C2....but this is just me not being talented enough (I'm scared actually) to get the turbo sideways in the corners and let it power slide a bit coming out of the corners

Also, lightness has A LOT to do with fun....the TT is heavy. I bet a GT3 is much more fun to drive if you take the power put of the equation.

The fact is that I cannot ignore the power...it gives me adrenaline rushes when I need to raise my mood...

ttpopo 08-17-2010 03:05 PM

I know what you mean...

but really you need to just increase the speeds?
what he said^^^^^^^

"fun" in the turbo is a FINE line/blended with SCARY (on the streets of mexico)

@Timf - i think i know you/ur car?

ever go to MoM?

Tony@epl 08-17-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by timf (Post 2946018)
but in a lot of ways my Mini Cooper S is more fun to drive than the turbo !!

OK so it lacks the ultimate push of the turbo (by a long way) but for sheer 'chuckability' the Mini takes a lot of beating. Reminds me of go kart like handling.

I know we're not comparing apples to apples, but anyone else here have both a TT and a Mini like to comment ?

Not only are they more "chuckable" you can drive them so very hard on the street and not worry about loosing your license =).

PAULIEWALNUTS 08-17-2010 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the wifes s cooper. It has the upgraded pully,larger injectors,GIAC tune,miltech exhaust,koni adjustables & 18" rims w/225 rubber on all corners.
Attachment 130657

She gets more thumbs up than the GT2.:mad:

steve harris 08-17-2010 04:59 PM

have an 03 mini wentz not real fast but has a blower big time hu

good car lots of miles no probs at all

rdss 08-17-2010 05:17 PM

I had a Mini S and it was fun to drive but to me there is not comparation between 996TT and Mini S. The 996 TT is much more fun if you have it ready for it.You need a good suspension,low the car,good tires and then you don't get that scare when you make a turn at 110 .You feel the turbo a real sport car.996TT is amazing to drive but is easyer to lose control then the Mini.

ttpopo 08-17-2010 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rdss (Post 2946335)
I had a Mini S and it was fun to drive but to me there is not comparation between 996TT and Mini S. The 996 TT is much more fun if you have it ready for it.You need a good suspension,low the car,good tires and then you don't get that scare when you make a turn at 110 .You feel the turbo a real sport car.996TT is amazing to drive but is easyer to lose control then the Mini.

exactly - which is why the OP posted that the mini "feels" more fun - easy to drive hard but not really do anything.

the TT will do the same w/o breaking a sweat....so you have to drive the TT, 100mph through the mountains (try downhill from jacumba to ocotillo) - IN THE RAIN ;) to get a thrill...

that is - until you're USED to doing that 2-3x a week....lol

bonehead 08-17-2010 05:30 PM

I had an '07 R56 Mini S. Good little DD. But not even remotely as fun as the TT (997). I do have to say that BMW makes a good clutch. Much easier to use than the hydraulic crap in the P:rolleyes:

rdss 08-17-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ttpopo (Post 2946339)
exactly - which is why the OP posted that the mini "feels" more fun - easy to drive hard but not really do anything.

the TT will do the same w/o breaking a sweat....so you have to drive the TT, 100mph through the mountains (try downhill from jacumba to ocotillo) - IN THE RAIN ;) to get a thrill...

that is - until you're USED to doing that 2-3x a week....lol

I agree,i was scare first time i drove the TT in the rain but with good tires she behave so well that i understood that it is a special car, you just have to know her well and take a risk some times.It must be scaring to go downhill in the rain,with turns and a litlle fast:eek: