996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thoughts on this 996tt w/97k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:08 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Thoughts on this 996tt w/97k miles

I have no intention in buying this particular car, but I wanted to ask your thoughts on this it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...#ht_500wt_1182

It is high miles, but if it checked out ok in a PPI, would you say it's safe to purchase it and use it for a dd and/or track car? Would you feel comfortable taking this car cross-country? Or would you say just spend $15k more and get a lower mileage one? What are your reasonings for or against, assuming the buyer could afford either way?

Thank you!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
I recently let one go with 96k on it. Honestly, it seemed more solid than the one I bought with 60k miles on it. I think the big difference was the parts that were changed.
I had every receipt ever that came with the higher mileage one. I personally feel documentation is more important than mileage on any car that you'd be looking at with over 50k miles.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
We are lead to believe that if a car has xx,xxx amount of miles.. its unreliable and not worth it. These cars are built tough.. look at all the major builds we have on this forum and NO problems . I agree w/ Brad., if there is good documentation then who cares about the miles. The only person that will mention miles is your buddy in the car. You however will never notice the difference if it was taken care of.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I agree...my car has 76,XXX now, and I wouldn't trade it for a car with unknown provenance, even if that car had 20k miles. My car is super clean and I keep it that way. I think getting a clean solid car with high miles is much better than getting one with lower miles that looks like its been beat a bit.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
i bought mine with 76k on the odometer and it's been flawless to own and drives perfectly. the particular car in question is well priced however that interior color combo is a deal breaker to me --- burlwood with baby poop color brown.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:35 AM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^Yeah, I'm not going to buy that car or anything. It was just an example. I agree, not too pretty. I was just asking because I will probably be putting a lot of miles on my car so I was wondering the benefit, if any, of going with a lower mile car to just load up with miles when it'll just eat away the car's value.

Thank you for the responses so far guys!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 PM
bsprad is on a distinguished road
I feel like this car (or one like it) could be a good deal if you can get it for less than the "buy it now" price. Interior components can easily be swapped to remove the wood accents. You'll find stock used components in various colors in the marketplace, on ebay and from Porsche dismantlers. The black with the beige probably looks better in person than in pictures.

I wasn't crazy about the carpet color in my setup, but the rest of the car was beautiful. I can swap the carpet for $1000-$1500 so I took the great deal and I'll replace the carpet over the winter.

I'm not sure what rebuilt engines are going for, but I believe that you can get low mileage used engines for $20k or less. Consider the deal if you got the car for $28k and put $15-18k into an engine (only after driving it until it dies, which could be a while). Another 4k for new suspension and you're still under $50k. If the rest of the car is in good shape and these are mainly highway miles (no track), you could have a great car.

It's a tough call for me, but I personally would consider a car like this if it was in good shape with good records and little to no track time. Just my $.02.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I spoke with the owner of this car and here is what I gathered about this car. The car is stock and appears to be well maintained and loved car. The seller is also not in a hurry to sell either. If he doesn't get what he wants, he is gonna keep it. I saw the car go up on eBay several times and the bids got around 30k and it didn't sell. I wouldn't spend a dime over 30k for it personally. You will be replacing suspension bushings and other suspension components on this car. This and other maintenance will be neede and will be pricey.