6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who. (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/221473-evolution-996tt-whos-who.html)

cjv 08-26-2010 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC (Post 2956946)
kevin from ultimate motor werks. i have yet to find a k24 car quicker than mine. raced an evo 610 or 650 996tt and put bus lengths on it

Kevin knows the smaller turbo's better than most. I can remember in the early days when sharkster had no shop :p, Kevin came to San Jose to prep Alex's car at his home. Alex brought Kevin over to my home where we talked 996tt's and drank some great wines. Kevin really impressed me. At the time he was working with a design called a "zero clearance" turbo. Kevin, UMI and Alex (sharkster)are definitely one of the pioneer's and a who's who.

I believe Alex later became a partner in an established shop before he went out and started sharkwerks.

unvmy996 08-26-2010 09:25 PM

Todd K , is the man !!!! hes helped the p car community make leaps and bounds.

cjv 08-26-2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by unvmy996 (Post 2957207)
Todd K , is the man !!!! hes helped the p car community make leaps and bounds.

Todd K is definitely one of the who's who as is Todd Z. Everyone may have their favorite and that is OK.

Now that you brought this up I will tell you a story that happened in the early 2000's. These are the early days and I had started to organize the first 996tt Shootout with Dave Colman a writer from Excellence. At the time I believe my car was ahead of Wilbur's car (Protomotive) and EVO's car in power output. :p

All the cars were bumping up against I believe it was 1.2 bar at the time and people could not figure out how to get past this. I had been using S Car Go and Protomotive for my tune and 1.2 bar was about it. I had been talking with GIAC and thhe told me they could lift the 1.2 limit on the ECU. I was about to send the car and I received a phone call from a GIAC rep telling me that they would be glade to do it, but they were told by Garrett not until after the Shootout. I was told that EVO was their biggest customer and they did not want this mod done to my car before the Shootout. I became so mad I refused to go any farther with the Shootout and turned it over to Sharkster. The Shootout went on without me and no one but a few knew the real reason. I was mad at the time, but soon after I looked back and had to laugh. I believe I had a good one pulled on me by one of the best. :)

cjv 08-26-2010 09:55 PM

Another Who's Who suspension and handling wise is Cary Elsinlohr from ERP. In my opinion, Cary is one of the very best. He is a quiet guy that most don't hear about.

Another behind the scenes guy as far as transmissions go is Brian Copan. Right know I can't remember the name of his company. Brian is one of if the the best Porsche tranny guys in the world.

Boy, the more I write, the more names I remember ......... Paul Guard at Guard Gear. Another pioneer.

unvmy996 08-26-2010 10:00 PM

didnt know that chad , thanks . i also have to say that you have been a tremendous fountain of knowledge on here also , with your car and all the r&d you have done over the last few years. so thanks for sharing.

cjv 08-26-2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports (Post 2957198)
Interesting reading and while i see a lot of 1st to do things i wonder myself why is it that it seems the community is in somewhat of a standstill on many aspects.. Such as Aftermarket Ecu options, Fuel choices etc.. Why is it communities like Supra, Evo, Honda have been using E85 for 3 years now making more power than 15.00/Gal race gas.. Is everyone content where it stands at this point??

As a late comer to this party I dont really mind.. I was late with the Mitsu Evo as well coming in to the game in 2007 after the car has been out since 2003.. The same goes for my 2002 Gt2 that arrives next week 8 years late.. LOL

I respect many of the big names in the community after reading for hours and hours on here for the last 6 months.. Credit must go out to those that have paved the way in many aspects of building these cars for us new comers.. ToddZ has always been there with answers to many of my questions along with Markski & CJV.. Thank you guys!!

We look forward to unveiling our up and coming project that i think will benefit the community in certain aspects such as track setup, fueling, Turbos, & Ecu's.. A ton of testing is about to go on shortly..

Mike

Mike,

We have been working with Link (New Zealand) and Neil Harvey @ Performance Developments regarding dual ECU's so as to control such things as GT3 cams, dual injectors, dual TB servo motors, multiple TB's, dual MAF's or Speed Density.

As of present ..... not sure how well it is going to perform. :eek:

buddyg 08-27-2010 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cjv (Post 2957226)
Todd K is definitely one of the who's who as is Todd Z. Everyone may have their favorite and that is OK.

Now that you brought this up I will tell you a story that happened in the early 2000's. These are the early days and I had started to organize the first 996tt Shootout with Dave Colman a writer from Excellence. At the time I believe my car was ahead of Wilbur's car (Protomotive) and EVO's car in power output. :p

All the cars were bumping up against I believe it was 1.2 bar at the time and people could not figure out how to get past this. I had been using S Car Go and Protomotive for my tune and 1.2 bar was about it. I had been talking with GIAC and thhe told me they could lift the 1.2 limit on the ECU. I was about to send the car and I received a phone call from a GIAC rep telling me that they would be glade to do it, but they were told by Garrett not until after the Shootout. I was told that EVO was their biggest customer and they did not want this mod done to my car before the Shootout. I became so mad I refused to go any farther with the Shootout and turned it over to Sharkster. The Shootout went on without me and no one but a few knew the real reason. I was mad at the time, but soon after I looked back and had to laugh. I believe I had a good one pulled on me by one of the best. :)

That shootout was an amazing and fun experience. If anyone wants to read more about it you can click on the link at the bottom of my sig.

2muchtime 08-27-2010 08:04 AM

Interesting reading,

str8blst 08-27-2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by buddyg (Post 2957471)
That shootout was an amazing and fun experience. If anyone wants to read more about it you can click on the link at the bottom of my sig.

I still have that magazine in my bathroomhilarious Seriously read it from time to time... it's amazing how far these cars have come.

If they were to do another shootout (996TT) I wonder what the cars would be and who from this forum would be going.... :D

cjv 08-27-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by buddyg (Post 2957471)

Buddy,

You had one of the few Stage V's. It's going back a number of years, but wasn't the V's the height of one technology at EVO before the GT technology. Didn't have something to do with EVO's starting to make use of the hybrid turbo's? Up to this time I believe both Protomotive and EVO were using the T3's or T4's. I believe at the time, we were the only one's using hybrids as in TIAL.

Divexxtreme 08-27-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by cjv (Post 2957169)
The only thing that you said, and I am not criticizing, just questioning is, the GT3 pick ups or pointers on your car. Your car had 996tt cams that were reground to a different profile utilizing profiles designed for a turbo versus a normally aspirated motor. Todd had to use a 996tt pointer. Markski had the motor with the GT3 cams and pointers and the challenge was addressed as above.

I'm not sure if you are asking me, but my car indeed utilized GT3 cam synchs on modifed 996TT cams. According to Todd, my build was the first time he had ever attempted it. He then did the exact same thing on my friend Peter's 3.8 car.

Feel free to call him for specifics.

RiA 08-27-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by cjv (Post 2957204)
I believe Alex later became a partner in an established shop before he went out and started sharkwerks.

I believe it was Akkurat Performance Group

Prche951 08-27-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by cjv (Post 2957226)

hilarious, very cool.

buddyg 08-27-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by cjv (Post 2957537)
Buddy,

You had one of the few Stage V's. It's going back a number of years, but wasn't the V's the height of one technology at EVO before the GT technology. Didn't have something to do with EVO's starting to make use of the hybrid turbo's? Up to this time I believe both Protomotive and EVO were using the T3's or T4's. I believe at the time, we were the only one's using hybrids as in TIAL.

Chad,

Evoms had a Stage IV and had done one Stage V when I dropped my car off in PA. They were definitely on the cutting edge at the time. Right after the shootout Evoms developed the GT packages and used the hybrid turbo which made great power but reduced the lag of the Stage V turbos.

unvmy996 08-27-2010 10:38 AM

Buddy, do you have a link for the rest of the magazine article with all the cars ?