6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Steering issue at highway speeds (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/222020-steering-issue-highway-speeds.html)

PoHunDr 08-31-2010 07:00 PM

Steering issue at highway speeds

I'm new to the list & wanted to get peoples' opinions re: a steering issue I am experiencing in my recently acquired 2002 996TT. The steering feels light and has a tendency to wander after 50mph. No issues at lower speeds. I initially thought this may be due to the tires but the problem persisted after I replaced them. Any ideas? Thanks!

raineycd 08-31-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by PoHunDr (Post 2962798)
I'm new to the list & wanted to get peoples' opinions re: a steering issue I am experiencing in my recently acquired 2002 996TT. The steering feels light and has a tendency to wander after 50mph. No issues at lower speeds. I initially thought this may be due to the tires but the problem persisted after I replaced them. Any ideas? Thanks!

Could be a few things. Be sure your air pressure is set to factory settings 36F 44R - on the gas filler lid.

If you have aftermarket coilovers, may be the camber. Or could be the toe setting.

If tire pressure is good, have the alignment checked.

Mgib 08-31-2010 08:14 PM

AS above. Confirming tire pressure(my guy suggests 40psi for the rear, ymmv) followed by a GOOD alignment. An alignment shop who knows Porsches. With your garage collection, you should know a good shop. Mine is stable as a rock to 120.

911xpress 08-31-2010 11:41 PM

Seems like what I was experiencing on my 2002. I checked the tires, had the car aligned at the dealer and still felt the same - almost scary above 80mph and lots of wandering on 280 with grooved pavement. Car would 'bounce' over bumps on Skyline (35) when going thru corners at 45mph +. I was very disheartened regarding the handling after having the car two months as something just didn't seem right.

This summer I finally got things ironed out.

1) I wasn't familiar with driving a rear engine car.

2) The front end of a 911 is light and in stock condition the car is raised too high. The front end 'floats at high speeds and can feel unnerving when you are not used to it.

3) My stock suspension was shot at 48K miles. I replaced it with some PSS9's, sway bars and proper alignment and had it lowered a bit.

Hope this helps....

eglivincent 09-01-2010 10:23 PM

my 996TT seems super solid at 100+

bsprad 09-02-2010 08:01 AM

I had a very similar feeling when I first bought my 996tt. There was some floating or wandering above 75mph that was a little unnerving, and I have PSS9's.. I decided to have a good, vision-based, 4 wheel alignment. My shop also recommended a mild outward toe for a sharper turn-in. The results were fantastic. The car is now absolutely solid at every speed, or at least as fast as I've had it.

FAST FWD 09-02-2010 08:08 AM

+1 to bsprad. I toe mine out 1/32" (total) and that makes the front end very stable. I was at Road America last weekend, where there were frequent excursions to 150 mph. Solid and stable, also on PSS9's.

Jon

PoHunDr 09-02-2010 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I had the alignment done today but haven't had a chance to take it out on a freeway. I'll find out tomorrow morning...

997xpress--280 is part of my daily commute and that is exactly where I feel the car wandering.

ard 09-03-2010 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by PoHunDr (Post 2965718)
Thanks for all the feedback. I had the alignment done today but haven't had a chance to take it out on a freeway. I'll find out tomorrow morning...

997xpress--280 is part of my daily commute and that is exactly where I feel the car wandering.

What were the pre and post alignment numbers? Did the shop give you the print out?

Just taking it to a shop and saying 'align it' will not always work..even a Porsche dealership... they just slap it on the machine and if it is somewhere within spec you are told "fine".

GL

A

PS CHP just loves 280 as well....

911xpress 09-03-2010 12:10 PM

Exactly - That's what I did first at the local P dealer. Even took the Service rep for a ride. They aligned the car to factory specs and it made no difference whatsoever.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-galore-2.html

Read my Post #20 that shows specific alignment data....

Originally Posted by ard (Post 2965739)
What were the pre and post alignment numbers? Did the shop give you the print out?

Just taking it to a shop and saying 'align it' will not always work..even a Porsche dealership... they just slap it on the machine and if it is somewhere within spec you are told "fine".

GL

A

PS CHP just loves 280 as well....

av2 09-03-2010 12:45 PM

I am suspecting too much toe out could cause the nervousness. Worn bushings and links can cause play in the suspension while driving.

PoHunDr 09-08-2010 03:01 PM

I learned the lesson that ard pointed out in his post. The car still pulls to the right and the condition is even a little worse now--there is now a slight vibration at highway speeds. I had the wheels balanced to make sure that this wasn't the problem. At this point, I plan on taking the car to a Porsche dealership as it came with a balance of an extended warranty. I suspect there is a steering or suspension problem, both of which may be covered under warranty (depending on the problem).

PS
The CHP does love 280..especially the closed vista points!

athena1111 05-23-2014 04:24 PM

Same Problem

Hello, Have you had any luck correcting your loose front end issue? I have on '01 Turbo with the same issue, I'm trying to figure it out.

nick49 05-23-2014 08:11 PM

You need more toe in.

If you want a quick and dirty way to verify this loosen the jamb nut on your front tie rods and turn each side in a quarter turn, tighten and go for a ride. It should make a noticeable difference for the better.

'02996ttx50 05-23-2014 09:01 PM

wtf does "wander" mean, anyway. i mean relative to a 996t. i surely ramble, but my car sure don't wander

hilarious