996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can water & Methanol injection do away with IC's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Can water & Methanol injection do away with IC's

Hi all,
I am in the process of sourcing parts for my WV Split screen Porsche restoration/Conversion.
I have paid for most of the parts. 3.2 G50 beam and all running gear for the rear and front will be 3.2 front end on a special "Sub Sub" Frame.
I have a goal... standing 1/4 in Sub 16s and faster than 101mph. thats the best I have seen so far.
BUT.....
I want to have a 993 engine with a Turbo kit or Supercharger ( not a 993 Turbo engine). There is little room for IC's, perhaps a 2 small ones. So would Water/Methanol injection be able to do away with IC,s

Engine is a standard 993 non Vario Ram @ 260 bhp but to have a Turbo Kit or Supercharger for another 100 bhp.
Any ideas please.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 09-09-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
It will help, but not really replace. I have Meth and it really helps and made a huge difference, but I'm almost positive it isn't as good as bigger intercoolers...but it WILL help, to a certain level, you'll have to figure out what that level is and stop there...powerwise.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
It will help, but not really replace. I have Meth and it really helps and made a huge difference, but I'm almost positive it isn't as good as bigger intercoolers...but it WILL help, to a certain level, you'll have to figure out what that level is and stop there...powerwise.
Thanks.
The problem I an going to have is I'm not too sure how much space will be left in the compartment once a 993 engine, let alone a TT. or SC. is it it.
I might be able to fit 2 small ones either side of the fins but I'm not sure.
I did read somewhere, but i but I cant remember where, about a kit that was so good it could do away with IC's...Uhm... I wasn't sure at the time so I dismissed the web page. Now I cant find it again.
I only wasn't another 100 bhp. 360 should be enough. Its a standard 964 Box so I dont know how much more they will take.
GCS has a 3.6 with 270 bhp and a 100 shot of Nitrous. I want to do it without the N2O.
Frank.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
How much boost do you plan to run? That should give you an idea of charge temps & how much meth/water you'll have to evaporate to bring the temp down. Given the power levels, I'd say it's certairly doable, but only with proper failsafes in place.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
How much boost do you plan to run? That should give you an idea of charge temps & how much meth/water you'll have to evaporate to bring the temp down. Given the power levels, I'd say it's certairly doable, but only with proper failsafes in place.
How much boost and with what compression? TYPICALLY, higher compression, less boost, lower compression, more boost.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Meth should never be considered as a cheap alternative to ICs and or even good octane gas... that is my opinion....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Meth should never be considered as a cheap alternative to ICs and or even good octane gas... that is my opinion....
Totally agreed, but its going into a 1962 VW split screen air cooled 993 (Possibly Turbo) camper van.
Space for large IC's is non existent... but I might get away with 2 small IC's.

I dont see using much more that .5/.6 bar. ( That is a guess though).

Priced up the complete restoration and Porsche Engine/Running gear and its going to be £60k GPB so I have to get it right.

However if anyone knows if there is a company out there that can supply a good water injection system I recon you will know.
Frank

Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
How much boost and with what compression? TYPICALLY, higher compression, less boost, lower compression, more boost.
Hi ,
I only need an extra 100 bhp ( on;y ....he says lol).
So I was thinking no more then .5 to .6 bar but that is only a guess.
I wont be doing anthing to the engine to lower the CR but I will be fitting an ultra modern ECU and not the 993 system. Thats the idea anyway.
I have seen a really good supercharger kit for the 993 so it might not be a Turbo. Less heat that way as well.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 09-09-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
Hi ,
I only need an extra 100 bhp ( on;y ....he says lol).
So I was thinking no more then .5 to .6 bar but that is only a guess.
I wont be doing anthing to the engine to lower the CR but I will be fitting an ultra modern ECU and not the 993 system. Thats the idea anyway.
Frank

With a compressor efficiency of 70%, you're looking at a 50-60C temp gain at 7-8psi

you can play with the numbers here (& include meth):

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

Like Markski, I wouldn't advocate no intercooler if possible, but there are alot of folks doing well with meth/no interooler, particularly at low(er) boost levels. Lots of logs to make sure everything is dialed in correct, and of course the failsafes.

On another note, if space is a concern, have you considered a water to air intercooler?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
plus 1....

But if Sunnyside is doing this monster of a swap I think we should ask what fuel he will run? If he runs straight meth then he would not need an intercooler at all. You spray it into the inlet of the turbo and call it a day! He is not talking about huge hp numbers.

Tim

Old 09-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
plus 1....

But if Sunnyside is doing this monster of a swap I think we should ask what fuel he will run? If he runs straight meth then he would not need an intercooler at all. You spray it into the inlet of the turbo and call it a day! He is not talking about huge hp numbers.

Tim
Hi Tim,

99 Octane .5/.6 bar boost.
There is the possibility of a water to air inter cooler??
I am looking into it.

This is the Supercharger: see picture
Frank

Attached Images  

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 09-09-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Frank

That sounds like a big fun idea,i hope you finished ok and enjoy it much

Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by rdss
Frank

That sounds like a big fun idea,i hope you finished ok and enjoy it much
I have loads to do. 1st I have to finish a customers 1964 Split. Then I start my my own van as well as run a Guest House.
First will be to fit the G50 beam and front sub frame to take the 3.2 Front Sub frame.
Then its a full restoration for the van. Only once I know the Porsche gear will fit will I start on the rest of the van.
I do all my own welding & bodywork, have an Oven and do all my own paint work. So I should be able to reduce the £60k Budget if I try. I hope so anyway. The 60k is what a Guy I know has spent doing something similar, but he did pay a garage to do all the work.
Also I still have to fit new DV's to my 911tt and change the Tip ATF and filter. (Had some slip issues in 3rd.)
Frank

Old 09-09-2010, 04:06 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Frank

You do that for fun or is your job and have a shop or garage ??

Old 09-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by rdss
Frank

You do that for fun or is your job and have a shop or garage ??
Hi,

It was supposed to be my main job, I built up the business over 15 years whilst I was in the Military. Did all the weld & spray training and bought all the necessary equipment. I was doing well until the 2001 then unfortunately I took not well and can no longer work full time in a Garage. I still have a small workshop and restore Campers now part time. When I get tired I can stop & rest.
Both the wife and I run a Large Guest house which is far less aggravating to my injury which will be with me for life....The guest house is also the main income and is doing well.
My next project is as I have said my 1962 camper, which will be for the two of us. The trouble is it takes me so long to finish a project I think this will be my last. ( until the next time lol)
Frank

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can water & Methanol injection do away with IC's