996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche 996 TT wont start, help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 PM
TWIN_TURBO has a spectacular aura aboutTWIN_TURBO has a spectacular aura about
Porsche 996 TT wont start, help!!

Hi guys: i need some help, please.. I had my car for 2 years and crank great until today, the car have 35k miles and is 2001 996 TT. When today in my garage i start the engine it not crank, all lights comes up.. The battery is good, i changed the ignitipn switch, check all fuses, check the clutch switch..but if i push the car put the car in 2nd gear it starts.. You think guys is the starter? Where is located how do i test..thanks in advance....

Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TWIN_TURBO
Hi guys: i need some help, please.. I had my car for 2 years and crank great until today, the car have 35k miles and is 2001 996 TT. When today in my garage i start the engine it not crank, all lights comes up.. The battery is good, i changed the ignitipn switch, check all fuses, check the clutch switch..but if i push the car put the car in 2nd gear it starts.. You think guys is the starter? Where is located how do i test..thanks in advance....
First thing you need to do is check signal make sure you have 12v at the starter and 12v signal when turning the key if so you have a bad starter which is on the pass side of the trans.

Any other lights come on? volts are over 12?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi Chris, Ok i will check..no check engine in the dash...the car when is in on is more than 12v...where is the starter located what side???

Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I would bet on battery first. If the battery is weak at all it will prevent start (even though the lights work)...if not the battery there are a host of possibilities.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Hi Chris, Ok i will check..no check engine in the dash...the car when is in on is more than 12v...where is the starter located what side???
passenger side of trans you need 12v at the starter not 12v reading on the dash.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
passenger side of trans you need 12v at the starter not 12v reading on the dash.
What does the volt gauge drop down to when cranking? You could have a dead cell and still show's over 12volts but wont have the power to crank it.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM
i went auto zone and check the battery just in case and is ok..all light s comes up..but no crank i will let you know guys..today i will check the starter if have any signal..

Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Could be the ignition switch. See if there is any play when the key is in or if it feels a bit stiffer than usual to crank. The next easy possibility is the clutch switch atop the pedal bar. Then, if none of those I would guess starter.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:42 PM
i already installed a new ignition switch and nothing. Is there any way to test the clutch switch?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM
crazydude is on a distinguished road
He says "but if i push the car put the car in 2nd gear it starts" ... this has to be a clue...

Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 PM
SAVED4IT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by crazydude
He says "but if i push the car put the car in 2nd gear it starts" ... this has to be a clue...
That's the "other" 2nd gear pop out! Seriously, though, all it says is that like most other manual cars you can pop the clutch and start her up.

Last edited by SAVED4IT; 09-20-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
First, test the clutch switch. Sit on the driver's door ledge and press in the clutch. You should hear the microswitch click to help you find it - it is above the clutch pedal and close the the bottom of the dash panel. You can operate this switch by pushing on the little tab from above. Assuming that when you push it in and the car won't crank, pull off one of the leads and check the switch with an ohmeter to see if it's going to zero resistance when the switch is depressed.

If all that checks out ok, then look at the wire connections on the solenoid. Passenger side, center. Just look for the flywheel. There is a plastic slotted cover that slips over the wires. Pop that off to expose them. Look for loose connections or perhaps a nut that vibrated off, or maybe corrosion.

GL,

Jon

Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 AM
thanks fast fwd i will check as soon as i get to the office...and i will let you know.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I found the problem.. thanks you all guys that help me...it was the clutch pedal switch.. as soon as i put direct switch it starts..

To test all you have to do is put directly and if it starts, that the switch.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Former Vendor
Glad you got it fixed but you said you checked the clutch switch before was it working fine then??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 TT wont start, help!!