996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2nd gear pop-out ... lasting fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
krswen is on a distinguished road
2nd gear pop-out ... lasting fix?

so, the engineer in me is curious about the actual defect that causes this problem. I've searched the threads but never found a detailed explanation.
Is it from parts that were improperly made or installed? Once fixed, is the repair permanent .... or does it come back eventually?

krswen

Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
the problem is in the dogs on the gear they are weak and get rubbed off with couple bad shifts under power.

Gbox had some mods they do to the gears and im sure the other tranny companies have found similar fixes modifying the gear set to prevent this but it would involve a complete tear down of the transmission.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Wolk's Wagon will become famous soon enoughWolk's Wagon will become famous soon enough
Grinding 2nd gear is the cause.
Detent mod is a bandaid fix that will work pretty well for a while.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:04 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
Transmission rebuild with GBox works every time. Do you have an active warranty?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Above posts list the 2nd gear pop out issue due to abuse.

There WAS a defect in some transmissions that PCNA calls "assembly fault".

They have a TSB that is a photographic 'damage catalog' with a differential diagnosis on the two causes... 3/1/2006 manual Transmission Binder 3 "damage catalog".

Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
If you go with a tranny rebuild, I would strongly consider going to a 997 TT main shaft and first 3 gears. You get a stronger gear set and taller gears.

The Gbox detent is a good preventative measure as is avoiding hard 1-2 shifts (and powershifting). The GBox detent has been proven to be at least a partial fix in that it reduces an already popping 2nd gear.

I wonder if the 997T Tranny is a bolt in?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:40 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
The problem lies in how the gears dogs were machined/designed /heat treated

The only forsure fix is machine work/better designed part

The detect kit is good but it won't completely stop it

Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
I was looking at doing the Detent fix since mine pops out of second on rare occasions and don't want it to get worse. Basically I've got to be at high RPM in second and let off the throttle abruptly. Being on a decline makes it more likely as well. How hard is doing the Detent? Anybody have any experience with it?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
I was looking at doing the Detent fix since mine pops out of second on rare occasions and don't want it to get worse. Basically I've got to be at high RPM in second and let off the throttle abruptly. Being on a decline makes it more likely as well. How hard is doing the Detent? Anybody have any experience with it?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...insurance.html

Old 11-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Nor Cal,

I had the detent installed, not because I had the 2nd gear pop out occuring, but because 2nd gear was hard to go into and it never felt like it seated in as deep as the other gears. Since the install, it goes in very deep and secure feeling - much easier and smoother, too. I have a feeling that with the occasional pop out you described, if you install the detent, it would not happen any longer. It's a very inexpensive part and certainly worth a try. I think it improves the transmission action and would recommend it to anyone, regardless of issues.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
where can one purchase?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all