996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Time for a new car (I think)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Time for a new car (I think)

Hi, my name is Scott, and I have a serious car buying problem.

My G-wagen is in the shop again because of issues with the driver's door latch, and after a year and 14k+ miles on it, and a half dozen visits to the shop with a $100k+ car, I'm a little sick of it.

My requirements are 4 doors (I have two little kids), AWD (I live in steep mountains), lots of power (does that need explanation?), and something nice.

I change cars every year or two so what would you buy? The list so far includes:

Subaru STI (blew the motor on my current one, but amazing car)
BMW 335Xi
BMW 535Xi
BMW 550Xi
Nissan Xterra
Ford F-150

Yeah I know it's a Porsche forum, but what would you buy?

I have a 996 X50, so I'm ok with having one ridiculously fast car and I don't need to buy another. But at the same time, I want something with power. Once my extended warranty is up, it'll get a Fabspeed exhaust and tune to push it over 600 HP/TQ.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I have two small kids also, and the 996TT is my daily driver. It cranks in the snow. We just got 6 feet at my house over the last 3 days. Opening day at Alpine Meadows on Friday with over 100" base.

BTW I also had a 2005 STI and a BMW 335XI. The STI was a much better car IMHO.

If you are looking for practical with power and winter traction, why not a Cayenne S or TT? I just got a Cayenne S for the wife and she loves that car.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
How old are your kids? Do you put them in the back of the 996? I'm 6'4 so my seat is way back and there's no way to fit both kids in the back.

I've considered the Cayenne but do I want to go with another big expensive SUV? I'm attracted to things a bit cheaper.....

Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
range rover

Old 11-23-2010, 06:38 PM
harkerdude will become famous soon enoughharkerdude will become famous soon enough
Audi S4?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Quatro Port Maserati!

i dont know if these are awd but

New legacy GT
Audi rs4 or s5
Bentley?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
what's the budget? are you looking for another 100k car to replace the G?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 PM
DougM will become famous soon enough
2003 Audi RS6 can be purchased for the 20-35k range all day long.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
You can pick up a 04/05 cayeene tt in the 30's I traded mine in for an 08 in the low 60's. Very nice suvs imo and I am sure the S would be good also, ext 3 yr wrty would be smart with any of them.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
AeroNsx is on a distinguished road
I second the Legacy GT.

Nice AWD sedans:

WRX/STI, A4/S4, Legacy GT, Mazda Speed 6, BMW 3 or 5 XI, or go old man style and look at some Volvos. They are excellent winter cars.

Give me a price range and tell me if you care about MPG

Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Hi, my name is Scott, and I have a serious car buying problem.

My G-wagen is in the shop again because of issues with the driver's door latch, and after a year and 14k+ miles on it, and a half dozen visits to the shop with a $100k+ car, I'm a little sick of it.

My requirements are 4 doors (I have two little kids), AWD (I live in steep mountains), lots of power (does that need explanation?), and something nice.

We are on a similar life path, but instead of the BMWs, I've stuck with the benz... My Gwagon was an awesome car, but repairs were so frequent that I could wait until 2-3 window or door motors went bad before I brought it in. It was religiously in ths shop.

This is all within the last year.... I sold my G and bought an e500. Why? Can't explain it. It was similar for repairs but great family car.
I sold the E500 and bought a clk500 (that I have now). I love driving it, but it is awful for getting the kids in the back.

I also bought a GX470 for the wife (her second one) this year- awesome family hauler and tows great but is boring to drive.

Other ideas of cars 4 door cars I've had recently:
Tundra- fast and comfy if you need the hauling space
Land Rover- If you hate the shop, skip it
Range Rover- Same
Camry Hybrid- Most boring mistake I ever bought
Toureg - Also frequented the shop- sold for this reason
IS250- Depends on how big your kids are but it was a very nice little commuter

The only reliable cars Ive had were the toyota / lexus products. Everything German spent too much time in the shop. Im about to trade in my CLK for a new model Lexus GS.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 PM
TheCarDudes will become famous soon enough
I just bought my wife a 2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d. The low end torque the diesel motor puts out is unbelievable. Great mid range acceleration as well. The fit and finish is traditional BMW quality and it handles just awesome. Wife was all over the diesel. 7 Passenger and ALL the goodies.

On a side note, I didn't plan it but we ended up will all vehicles being all wheel drive and we don't live anywhere near the snow. My daily driver is a 2010 Audi S4. I can't tell you how much I love that car. Such a great package all wrapped up in to one vehicle.

Last but not least, weekend toy is a 2001 996TT. The Porsche is flashed and plenty fast but I definitely never feel like the other 2 cars are lacking much at all in the "giddy up an go" dept.

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
my thoughts

I have no kids, have had several Porsches and am currently on my 35th car and only 34 years old. I am from MI and have spent some time in Telluride, CO. Now, onto my recommendation.

I would buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi. I own an 06 with 115,000 miles on the clock and I purchased new (the longest vehicle I have ever owned) and I couldn't be happier. Tons of power, I pass all the cars mentioned above in the worst weather. I have the Quadra Drive II which is the most advanced 4x4 system (for their models) but it is exceptional. The new model which I think looks great as well is built on the same frame as the Mercedes ML 320 and very nicely IMO.

You cannot find a better all weather vehicle that has more power and offers the comforts of a luxury car for under $45,000...

My .02 cents but I am planning on trading mine in for the new model in less than 6 mths and I have spent almost a year deciding on what I wanted to get with multiple test drives, sit ins, reviews, etc... and i cannot seem to pull myself away from the Jeep.

And currently, I own an 04 996 TT Cab and love it. I hope I don't get too many people upset for my view since it is American but I could not be happier... and i feel I am an educated customer.

Best of luck in the search.

Regards,
Bryan

Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
rs4 or range rover

Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 PM
RugRunner is on a distinguished road
H1. It's like killing a fly with a baseball bat instead of a fly swatter, but it'll certainly get the job done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for a new car (I think)