996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch actuator reservoir overfilled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Clutch actuator reservoir overfilled?

The reservoir appears to have been overfilled and leaked. I siphoned some off to bring the level down. Could this be a sign of something other than just over filling?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
The reservoir appears to have been overfilled and leaked. I siphoned some off to bring the level down. Could this be a sign of something other than just over filling?
Yes, it's the first sign of a failing clutch accumulator and/or clutch slave.

Sorry.

Jon

Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
do a search on accumulator or slave cylinder on this forum, you will get a million results

Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Thanks. How do you determine if it is one or both? There's a DIY on Renntech. Mikelley has a good one for the accumlator, the clutch slave DIY is a bit less informative.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM
pinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to behold
it's the slave. it's bypassing through the slave and going back into the reservoir.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah, sorry for starting another thread. I should have searched, I preach that all the time. There's a ton of info on the subject.

Guess I'll get on this after I finish with the radiator. That's if I can ever get somebody to ship one that isn't damaged. I have two sitting in my living room waiting to ship back.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
I've currently got it happening for the second time....
I'm just siphoning back and forth. Waiting for my clutch replacement upon which I will install the GT2 fix.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
It's the clutch slave. No problem to live if it weren't that the pentosin is flammable and eats paint (slowly but surely) when it leaks.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
When the slave goes bad; does it leak pentosin?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm told when the slave goes bad it backs Pentosin up causing an overflow of the reservoir in the front of the car. That is the symptom I am experiencing. Porsche has an actual test listed in their repair manual on page 664 that I haven't done yet but am going to by this weekend.

If you are experiencing this also be aware the clutch and power steering share the same Pentosin. If you are overflowing up front, you are probably low in the back, hence Yves' comment. If this is happening to you vntperformance, please PM me.

Last edited by deckman; 01-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
I'm told when the slave goes bad it backs Pentosin up causing an overflow of the reservoir in the front of the car. That is the symptom I am experiencing. Porsche has an actual test listed in their repair manual on page 664 that I haven't done yet but am going to by this weekend.

If you are experiencing this also be aware the clutch and power steering share the same Pentosin. If you are overflowing up front, you are probably low in the back, hence Yves' comment. If this is happening to you vntperformance, please PM me.
I noticed, on my garage floor what I suspect is pentosin (looks like a fluid w/a greenish tint); but not from right under the car, but closer to where the trans would be. Does the slave or accumulator leak when going bad?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Porsche recommends that you change both the slave and accumulator at the same time.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 PM
tjj7ff is on a distinguished road
I would also suggest that you check the screw on cap to the reservoir to make sure that it has not expanded to the extent that it cannot be tightened it down. This happen to mine and I thought the slave was going out. I replaced the cap and have not had a problem with Pentosin leaking from the reservoir.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by vntperformance
I noticed, on my garage floor what I suspect is pentosin (looks like a fluid w/a greenish tint); but not from right under the car, but closer to where the trans would be. Does the slave or accumulator leak when going bad?
If your actuator is bad I would expect leaking of the Pentosin to drip from the reservoir and maybe make its way down toward the front axle. I'd be surprised if any ever actually dripped onto the floor. I'd get it up on stands to see where it might be coming from.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
If leaking in front you will see it if you just pull the black plastic piece on driver side out and flip it over. It will be noticeable right there in the recess for the cap if it has been leaking.

Slave and accumulator on driver side mounted to tranny housing. Anything on ground between rear tire and door jamb towards middle of car would indicate that kind of leak.

Yes, Pentosin is green...and yes again VERY flamable.

Guys-
I went through THREE slaves/accumulators in under two years. Wonder if changing pressure plates to handle higher hp, system just can't handle it. I finally did the GT2 conversion and absolutely LOVE IT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch actuator reservoir overfilled?