996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HR or Bilstein pss10 or KW coilovers???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Nikkolaki is on a distinguished road
is it recommended to change out the top mounts with KW V3?
does KW make camber plates for this application?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:14 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
This is a good thread, I'm subscribed. Was interested in learning more about Bilstien PSS10 vs. KW vs X73 so opinions on here are nice. How many of you with the the KW track your cars, and if so how often? I have mostly experience with JRZ, Koni D/A, Moton etc...on mostly track and race vehicles with students cars on the track, however I am looking for something more street oriented for a compliant ride on the street for a 996TT with maybe a few track outings a year when instructing at local PCA events...

Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
dave-t will become famous soon enough
I am interested on some input as well. I understand you guys are discussing suspention on a 996tt, however you are talking about the same coilovers i am considering as well. I plan on taking off my H&R springs come springtime, my car is to bouncey with them on. The height of the car is not the issue, I want a much more stiff ride. I was considering some JRZ RS', RS Pro's or some PSS10's for my Cayman. I already have TPC stage 2 suspension on my car and love the way it feels except it is just not stiff enough yet. Any suggestions would be great. I plan on tracking my car this year as well.

thanks,

dave-t

Last edited by dave-t; 12-27-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Nikkolaki
is it recommended to change out the top mounts with KW V3?
does KW make camber plates for this application?
Top mounts allow more range to adjust. It's not necessary for most

Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 PM
gt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of light
Get Ohlins there is no substitute :-).

Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Nikkolaki is on a distinguished road
so pss10s may be too soft and may bottom out on track. but never fail
kw v3 better for track but may fail and need work so down time!

so that leave JIC cross. they include camber plates so thats a plus. any issues with them? who sells them?
and anyone try HR RSS clubsport?

and how bad is the ride with just HR springs compared to pss10s?

Last edited by Nikkolaki; 12-29-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Who said KW's do fail? I didn't know about any reliability issues with KW V3...

Old 12-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
Our customers with 996TT have not experienced a single shock failure.

If there is a problem, KW in Sanger, CA rebuilds them in house & usually has a very quick turn around time.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AutoTalent
Food for thought -

Variant 3 includes lifetime warranty to the original purchaser

Clubsport includes top mounts and most of the time - linear springs. Clubsport is considered a race product so there is no warranty. KW suggests to have the shocks examined / tested every year which costs about $500 for basic maintainence. If there are additional parts needed then it could be more.
Can you elaborate on exactly what goes into the annual test that costs $500?

What would a rebuild cost- would it be covered under the lifetime warranty?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Can you elaborate on exactly what goes into the annual test that costs $500?

What would a rebuild cost- would it be covered under the lifetime warranty?
KW runs the shocks on the shock dyno to make sure they are within range. If the shocks need to be re-valved then there is a charge of roughly $125 per shock.

Variant 1,2 & 3 is a street coilover which includes lifetime warranty.
Clubsport which is considered a race version does not include warranty.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AutoTalent
KW runs the shocks on the shock dyno to make sure they are within range. If the shocks need to be re-valved then there is a charge of roughly $125 per shock.

Variant 1,2 & 3 is a street coilover which includes lifetime warranty.
Clubsport which is considered a race version does not include warranty.
Wow, so each year the shocks need to be removed from the car and sent to KW in Sanger? Seems like a lot of trouble, downtime, and expense...

Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
People need to take a breath and read.

Autotalent was talking about the KW ***ClubSport**** product that has no warranty and needs annual inspections.

The KW V3 is warranted and needs no annual inspections. They are talking about two different products for two different customers.

Here's the point: if you are a serious racer, you would WANT to have the suspension checked at least once per year. So if you run Clubsports- or Motons or Ohlins or JRZ Comps, you'd probably be having this done as part of your normal race car prep.

Thats my read. Fixing to add the KW V3 later this winter....

Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by ard
People need to take a breath and read.

Autotalent was talking about the KW ***ClubSport**** product that has no warranty and needs annual inspections.

The KW V3 is warranted and needs no annual inspections. They are talking about two different products for two different customers.

Here's the point: if you are a serious racer, you would WANT to have the suspension checked at least once per year. So if you run Clubsports- or Motons or Ohlins or JRZ Comps, you'd probably be having this done as part of your normal race car prep.

Thats my read. Fixing to add the KW V3 later this winter....
That makes sense. I have heard of V3s requiring rebuilds more frequently than the PSS9/10, but sounds like a rumor at best.

Has anyone had to have their V3s re-sealed?