996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Yakima basket rack for tires on a 996 TT?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
B.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud of
Yakima basket rack for tires on a 996 TT?

Has anybody done this and liked it? I'm debating taking back everything and just getting a trailer. The basket has a 140lb weight limit and the rails on the car are up to 165lbs. With stock rims and slicks I'm guessing I'm right there. I love the theory of driving to the track and bolting on some slicks to drive but with a trailer if I break down it's no biggie. I didn't want to go next level but I think I've already made up my mind but would love some feedback. Next I think I should just get a cup car !

Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I don't see why not. I load up my car for the season with 5 pairs of skis and a snowboard. I want to do the same thing come summer!

This may be a stupid question: Do you also ride on the snow? If so, do you ever come up to Tahoe?

Big fans here.

Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 PM
B.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud ofB.Lasek has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I don't see why not. I load up my car for the season with 5 pairs of skis and a snowboard. I want to do the same thing come summer!

This may be a stupid question: Do you also ride on the snow? If so, do you ever come up to Tahoe?

Big fans here.
I snowboard a little but my car probably will never see the snow. It's a somewhat daily driver that I track when I can. Tahoe sounds fun but too cold for my likings right now.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Probably smart for the paint! My car is a mixture of basalt black and matte dirt brown. It has been an amazing season though. Almost 30 feet at all the Tahoe resorts so far.

The Yakima basket should fit no problem at all.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed- the Miata guys often have a very little trailer thatvjust holds tools and the tire rack, but it would be slick if you could roof mount these for the racing slicks. A gal with a gutted M3 was able to fit them in the back of her E36 at Laguna- don't think we could pull that off!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Yep...I have one...here are some pics...

track wheels:

snowboards:

bikes:

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
where did you guys get the basket?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Blockhed
where did you guys get the basket?

any Yakima dealer can get the basket

Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Audikp, that's just what I wanted to see. Thanks, I think there's only 3 on yours that I could see but I have the extension center section which makes enough room for all 4. I'm still debating but saw a trailer on craigslist for $1,650.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by B.Lasek
Audikp, that's just what I wanted to see. Thanks, I think there's only 3 on yours that I could see but I have the extension center section which makes enough room for all 4. I'm still debating but saw a trailer on craigslist for $1,650.

Correct, I didn't get the extension. 3 on top, 1 on back seat. Less weight on the roof that way too.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by audikp
Correct, I didn't get the extension. 3 on top, 1 on back seat. Less weight on the roof that way too.
I ended up not having to use the extension. I fit all 4 on top with room to spare for maybe some lighter gear like fold up chairs,etc.. I am worried of the weight and I may throw the 4th wheel in the front seat depending on if I have someone driving up with me. Was it sketchy driving with it being so top heavy? Could you still fit thru the Mcdonalds drive thru ...

Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Here is my Set-Up, OEM Roof Rack and OEM VW Luggage Carrier (Hard to Find, i bought the last one EVER!)

I got the OEM Ski Carriers on right now, so i can haul my Snowboard to the Mountain, need to get a Thule Fairing, the noise is driving me Crazy...

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
My Car.bmp (801.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
JG GT500 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zookie
need to get a Thule Fairing, the noise is driving me Crazy...
Me too, the whistling is really annoying

Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by JG GT500
Me too, the whistling is really annoying

same here....I only notice the whistling w/ snowboards...not as much from the bikes & wheels....

Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 PM
docjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the rough
have the yakima rack and fairing. tires will fit on the roof rack and i noticed nothing untowards on the highway at 65 mph with four tires on top. I also have he fairing which cuts down on the wind noise significantly. i have also put our thule on the car and taken my two boys camping. this machine does it all if you aren't too concerned about "the look".