6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Clutch master stage 3 chatter, normal? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/237206-clutch-master-stage-3-chatter-normal.html)

YZWILLY 02-20-2011 05:12 PM

Clutch master stage 3 chatter, normal?

I just test drove a 996tt with a stage 3 clutch master and flywheel flashed and piped, question is with this set up the clutch chatters and feels almost like a slipping clutch. It does this when you start in 1st gear as well as down shifting. Downshifting without any throttle is impossible the chatter feels,like the whole car iis shuttering. I don't have any exp with the lwfw. I have owned other 996tt with the stock clutch and loved it. Please tell me if this sounds normal.

viperbob 02-20-2011 05:32 PM

First gear will feel different (just a little more gas required). Very little beyond that. Some gear rattle when clutch out in neutral. I've installed everything from them (and custom made race stuff). Are you letting the clutch out REALLY slow or something on a downshift?

LiNks 02-20-2011 07:55 PM

Yes you need to give it more gas in 1st and on downshifts u will get chatter unles you rev match over time you will figure it out. Upside is it's a performance clutch and really grabs hard when your pushing the car.

Blockhed 02-20-2011 08:34 PM

No way, I have ZERO chatter with a CM 3 and 964rs lwfw. My car drives easy and no chatter. PM if you want and come check it our yourself

Tim941NYC 02-21-2011 12:56 AM

chatter in reverse, little more gas in 1st.. Have the owner check trans mount and motor mounts. If warn/broken that will cause the clutch to chatter for sure. There is two discs one sprung for lwfw and one solid (gt2/3 type) for dual mass flywheel. They might have the wrong disc in the car.

YZWILLY 02-21-2011 03:35 AM

thanks guys

Thanks for all the info, this was a whole new concept for me, now I understand, thanks.

Mark @ AIM Performance 02-21-2011 07:30 AM

My CM stage 3 has chatter in 1st gear. Downshifts are easy, rev match and chatter will go away. I am still getting used to taking off normally to avoid chatter..

LiNks 02-21-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blockhed (Post 3129320)
No way, I have ZERO chatter with a CM 3 and 964rs lwfw. My car drives easy and no chatter. PM if you want and come check it our yourself

I think the 964 Flywheel is why you have no chatter, I know several guys with the same setup to what the OP is mentioning and all have the same chatter if a 1st time driver sits behind the wheel. Once you learn the car you wont chatter.

Mark @ AIM Performance 02-21-2011 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by LiNks (Post 3129967)
I think the 964 Flywheel is why you have no chatter, I know several guys with the same setup to what the OP is mentioning and all have the same chatter if a 1st time driver sits behind the wheel. Once you learn the car you wont chatter.

ehh ive been driving it for about a month and i still cant get it quiet right some times. it can be a bit frustrating

Blockhed 02-21-2011 02:36 PM

I had a sachs set up prior to the CM 3 and had chatter with the same exact flywheel so i don't think it's the flywheel but a combination of PP and disk and possibly TO bearing.

Adam

LiNks 02-21-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by prodigymb (Post 3129975)
ehh ive been driving it for about a month and i still cant get it quiet right some times. it can be a bit frustrating

A month? thats nothing, you have plenty of time. Ive been driving it for 2 years. You will eventually get it right, unless the chatter doesn't bother you enough to change your driving style.

John@SpeedTech 02-21-2011 05:40 PM

I had a chatter develop a few years ago and eliminated it with a new flywheel. I am sure there could be a few different causes, but in my case it was a worn/warped flywheel. This was with the DMF.

Blockhed 02-21-2011 07:21 PM

I think in my case it was the TO bearing...

Tim941NYC 02-22-2011 06:11 AM

Many thing take part in chatter. Mostly it is something warped like the flywheel or pressure plate. Why does that matter? Well as the flywheel/pressure plate spins as one unit the warped surface has high and low spots, the disc has the same thing going on. The disc also has a gap built in that when unloaded makes the disc spread apart to help lesson this and help the disc grab even because it will flex a bit. When the high spots meet they grip and slip grip and slip and so on until you are moving enough to fully release the clutch. AKA chatter.. Second item I have seen is the release bearing get worn uneven which will do the same as the high low spot because one side of the diaphragm will be less engaged. Also I have seen one or more of the needle bearing missing from the pivot shaft. This will also pull the diaphragm uneven.. Like I stated in a earlier post worn/broken tranny or engine mounts should not be overlooked.

Mark @ AIM Performance 02-22-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC (Post 3130606)
Many thing take part in chatter. Mostly it is something warped like the flywheel or pressure plate. Why does that matter? Well as the flywheel/pressure plate spins as one unit the warped surface has high and low spots, the disc has the same thing going on. The disc also has a gap built in that when unloaded makes the disc spread apart to help lesson this and help the disc grab even because it will flex a bit. When the high spots meet they grip and slip grip and slip and so on until you are moving enough to fully release the clutch. AKA chatter.. Second item I have seen is the release bearing get worn uneven which will do the same as the high low spot because one side of the diaphragm will be less engaged. Also I have seen one or more of the needle bearing missing from the pivot shaft. This will also pull the diaphragm uneven.. Like I stated in a earlier post worn/broken tranny or engine mounts should not be overlooked.

i have a new OEM flywheel, new CM Stage 3 with fiber tough, new pilot bearing, new throwout bearing, new pressure plate and I still get chatter :mad:

i havent looked into my tranny mount yet...hope thats it