6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   K-sport coilover ? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/237489-k-sport-coilover.html)

007-911 02-24-2011 12:02 AM

K-sport coilover ?

Anyone try these? I'm not going to the road course every weekend. I just want to stiffen up the ride a bit and lower the ride height. Please let me know if you have tried these. Ps. I did a search and found one thread which was closed but didn't really give me a true users opinion.

Thanks guys.

adam699 02-24-2011 01:32 AM

I've seen them go really cheap. I'd probably pick them over springs, but I wouldn't expect them to come close to anyone else who is serious in the market suspension wise.

legendr34 02-24-2011 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by 007-911 (Post 3132541)
Anyone try these? I'm not going to the road course every weekend. I just want to stiffen up the ride a bit and lower the ride height. Please let me know if you have tried these. Ps. I did a search and found one thread which was closed but didn't really give me a true users opinion.

Thanks guys.

There's probably not too many owners using them. I think there is a sponsor on here that has it on this car

007-911 02-24-2011 07:41 AM

Thanks, so no one has them on there car besides the vendor?

pwdrhound 02-24-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 007-911 (Post 3132701)
Thanks, so no one has them on there car besides the vendor?

I'd be a little cautious putting anything on our cars that was "made in Taiwan"...
But that's just me. It's not exactly a 2 hour job to put these on and then remove them if you don't like them....

Mark @ AIM Performance 02-24-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by johnselli (Post 3132864)
I'd be a little cautious putting anything on our cars that was "made in Taiwan"...
But that's just me. It's not exactly a 2 hour job to put these on and then remove them if you don't like them....

a lot of higher end coilover components are made there...

pwdrhound 02-24-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by prodigymb (Post 3133052)
a lot of higher end coilover components are made there...

Like what?

mmm635 02-24-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by johnselli (Post 3132864)

I just installed a set and will let you guys know how they perform on the street and the track. I thought they were very easy to install and did not take long.

I have installed Bilstein and Koni for years and can say that the fit and finish on these coilovers are just as good. The height adjustment is easy and the drop links have adjustable perches which allow you more adjustability.

They have excellent customer support based out of Arizona and can easily rebuild a shock for next to nothing if need be. No different than all the other name brand dampers.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_h...0/IMG_4520.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_C...0/IMG_5248.JPG

legendr34 02-24-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mmm635 (Post 3133364)
I just installed a set and will let you guys know how they perform on the street and the track. I thought they were very easy to install and did not take long.

I have installed Bilstein and Koni for years and can say that the fit and finish on these coilovers are just as good. The height adjustment is easy and the drop links have adjustable perches which allow you more adjustability.

They have excellent customer support based out of Arizona and can easily rebuild a shock for next to nothing if need be. No different than all the other name brand dampers.

If these do well in the Porsche market, I can really see it helping their company image.

I like how they come with the upper mounts

unvmy996 02-24-2011 06:40 PM

i have heard nothing but horror stories about these ..

my advice stop trying to save a few dollars and , spend the extra money and get something credible , and save your self the headaches and money down the road .

mmm635 02-24-2011 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by unvmy996 (Post 3133372)

my advice stop trying to save a few dollars and , spend the extra money and get something credible , and save your self the headaches and money down the road .

Really! Will you please provide some links for me to read since I like horror stories.

007-911 02-25-2011 12:10 AM

I know people bash products because they are cheaper but I really want to know first hand experience from a member here. Trust me there is plenty of name brand, expensive garbage out in the market too. I still have not read one credible story about these shocks being messed up. Please validate what you claim, good or bad.

Thanks again.

-Vince

gt2rs 02-25-2011 02:01 AM

Yes let us only buy Öhlins and Motons everything else is crap .....hilarious

Originally Posted by unvmy996 (Post 3133372)

Nor Cal Turbo 02-25-2011 08:38 AM

I've heard next to nothing about these coilovers except the fact that they don't cost much. There was one board sponser, I think it was Acute Performance that was going to run some tests on them, bolt them up and give some feedback, but never heard anything since then. That was many months ago.

I don't plan to buy them myself but would love to hear some impressions of them from a few people. Keep the thread updated on your experience good or bad.

mmm635 02-25-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 007-911 (Post 3133582)
I know people bash products because they are cheaper but I really want to know first hand experience from a member here. Trust me there is plenty of name brand, expensive garbage out in the market too. I still have not read one credible story about these shocks being messed up. Please validate what you claim, good or bad.

Thanks again.

-Vince

Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo (Post 3133770)
I've heard next to nothing about these coilovers except the fact that they don't cost much. There was one board sponser, I think it was Acute Performance that was going to run some tests on them, bolt them up and give some feedback, but never heard anything since then. That was many months ago.

I don't plan to buy them myself but would love to hear some impressions of them from a few people. Keep the thread updated on your experience good or bad.

Originally Posted by gt2rs (Post 3133616)
Yes let us only buy Öhlins and Motons everything else is crap .....hilarious

I figured why not try them out since I am doing all the work - just the cost of the parts. I purchased my set from a board member who got frustrated because it was going to cost around $1200 to install them. His shop was not sure how to install them, so he decided to let them go. I spoke with another board member that has this same setup that was installed by his shop, and he loves them. This particular setup is designed for the street, but I would imagine can hold up at the track. They have a different set of coilovers that are geared for the track. If I am happy with these, then I might try out the track version on the 996tt track car build I have planned.

I will give you guys some real world feed back in order to avoid any "theories" or "horror" stories that have no basis. K-sports have been used on the JDM scene for many years and are popular in the drifting scene. They did not just pop out of nowhere and claim to be the best. It is my understanding that one of the higher ups in the company is a Porsche fanatic and are starting to break into the Euro market. It is just a matter for tuning the components for the Euro cars - not quality control or manufacturing processes. K-sport had some issues early in their manufacturing many years ago, but not now. Their failure rate is no different than Bilstein, Koni, or other higher end units. Trust me, the Motons/Ohlins are not the most reliable and maintenance free units.

Do I know how they will perform? I will soon find out. I am just trying to be open-minded because Taiwanese manufacturing is very close to the level of the Japanese, if not the same now.