996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine coolant, what should I do?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Engine coolant, what should I do?

Hey guys,

Since I took the motor out to install the mods, I drained all the coolant.

Now, I know the right one is the pink stuff that Porsche or Audi sell, but the one I drained out is yellow!!!!!

Some bloody idiot put that yellow stuff in it and now I don't know what to do...I'm not sure they can be mixed, and while there has to be some left in the engine, I don't know if putting the pink one in would be a nice idea...

I was also thinking about flushing the system with demineralized water, but I'm sure it will be impossible to eliminate all residue.

Do you know if it's possible to just put the right stuff in and let it mix with the small amount of yellow coolant left?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Just open it up and let everything in there out.

Then fill with 50/50 pink stuff and distilled water and you will be fine.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If I were you I would go to the source and ask Porsche directly.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 PM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
I would drain and fill with the pink stuff as previously recommended.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Camo_cab is on a distinguished road
Post #7 should give you some valuable insight

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-prestone.html

Camo

Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I drained the coolant from the two nuts below the engine (the ones were the Tial's water lines will be connected), but there should be a cap or something in the front to drain the radiators and lines that run to the front of the car...does anyone know where is it?

Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
So, what happens if you just run regular ordinary coolant?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:38 PM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm kind of on the same boat, I noticed the last time I looked under the hood, or trunk I guess lol, that the coolant was right about where the minimum line is. However, the color is yellowish, not the pinkish stuff Porsche sells. When I researched it up, I had read somewhere that they were compatible and ok to mix (at least I think I did). I would just add some more distilled water, but I'm not sure if that will hold out come wintertime.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
So, what happens if you just run regular ordinary coolant?
From what I read on the other threads, if you use an ordinary coolant, and not the type that Porsche used, it will gelatinize, and cause massive amounts of headache.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:49 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dragonman4
From what I read on the other threads, if you use an ordinary coolant, and not the type that Porsche used, it will gelatinize, and cause massive amounts of headache.
Why would that happen?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
Why would that happen?
I can't seem to find the exact thread where I saw this, but it was definitely on 6speed and not rennlist. I'll look for it again later. Basically I believe it had something to do with the additive. Whether it was organic, inorganic, or hybrid organic corrosion inhibitor. I remember reading if you just mix normal stuff in which is ethylene glycol, there's a chemical reaction which turns it into a gel and thus renders it useless. Here's a link to the discussion of it on rennlist, but I'm almost positive I saw the thread talking about the gelling issue here on 6SO.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...read-here.html

Old 05-15-2011, 06:29 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Mixing coolants can cause a gel effect, but using regular yellow coolant by itself will not hurt. Volkswagen used to have a coolant pre G12 that tends top gel when mixed with G12. Actually every manufacturer has their own version of coolant and they are not any more effective than the stuff you can buy at autozone. In a dire situations you can run plain distilled water and as long as it isn't winter and your engine will not know any better. I wouldn't sweat which coolant you run. Your engine will be okay. But if you change what you use or contaminate the system with another coolant type flush the whole system with water before filling with another type. Always try to follow what the manufacturer suggests, but don't sweat it too much in this case.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 PM
big_jay is on a distinguished road
I recomend to run it with water first then drain it and use the lifetime anty freeze...

The life time anyfreeze does not mix with the regular...

The last thing you want is to have a chemical reaction...

Old 05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
My car is an 02 and it has the yellowish coolant in it also. I am getting ready to do a coolant change on my car and wondered about the compatibility of the yellow stuff with the new pink coolant. When I inquired at a Porsche dealership service center about a coolant change with the pink Porsche coolant I was told that the coolant the factory originally put in our cars will turn yellowish with age. I was told that it is fully compatible with the new pink Porsche coolant so no worries about topping off or changing it. They do it all the time. I was told to jack up the front end, open the radiator drains, and also open the two drains on the underside of the engine. You will get a majority of it out that way.

Originally Posted by emadelta86
Hey guys,

Since I took the motor out to install the mods, I drained all the coolant.

Now, I know the right one is the pink stuff that Porsche or Audi sell, but the one I drained out is yellow!!!!!

Some bloody idiot put that yellow stuff in it and now I don't know what to do...I'm not sure they can be mixed, and while there has to be some left in the engine, I don't know if putting the pink one in would be a nice idea...

I was also thinking about flushing the system with demineralized water, but I'm sure it will be impossible to eliminate all residue.

Do you know if it's possible to just put the right stuff in and let it mix with the small amount of yellow coolant left?

Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
This is what I use...keep a few quarts on hand...Pretty blue...

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine coolant, what should I do?