996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear Tires 315/30 - do these fit stock rim with no adverse issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 AM
dreamtripper will become famous soon enough
Rear Tires 315/30 - do these fit stock rim with no adverse issues

Do these fit the stock 18" rims with no adverse issues in performance/handling. Do they provide any advantage other than the overall look?

Is anything needed to make them work with the stock rims - spacers,fender's rolled ??? Thanks!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
They work fine, HOWEVER you must also change the front tires to the matching diameter (235/40-18) size.

The advantage is a larger contact patch. I didn't consider 'overall look'.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
The contact patch is larger. This is good in dry weather. In rain or snow, the handling will be worse as the weight of the car is distributed over the larger area and the car will hydro-plane easier and skid on snow even worse.

Jim

Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
And to make you rest assured people/shops have been doing it for years. You can even run some spacers and really make it look awesome.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks all. So to confirm - just mount and install front and rears at the same time, nothing else needed?

If I do use spacers, what kind should I use and I take it at that point the fenders would need to be rolled?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
Thanks all. So to confirm - just mount and install front and rears at the same time, nothing else needed?

If I do use spacers, what kind should I use and I take it at that point the fenders would need to be rolled?
No spacers, no fender rolling needed. 235/40/18 and 315/30/18 go just fine on the stock rims without further modification.

Just make sure that you change the fronts to the 235/40 size at the same time or you will have issues with the PSM as the tire Rev Per Mile for the rears will not match the fronts.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Correct. Spacers would only make it look better and no rubbing. You can do 7mm front and rear. Some people go 14mm+ with no problems on a lowered car even.

Your car uses an 18x11 with offset (ET) 45 in the rear.
- GT-2 is an 18x12 ET 45. That translates to ET 33 on an 11in wheel. (lower # is more aggressive or outward)

If you used a 7mm spacer with the factory wheel it will make your ET 38. This is less aggressive than what wheel companies like HRE use on an 11in rear wheel. They use 30-35.

In the front you are ET 50 and with a 7mm spacer it will push to 43. 3-5mm less aggressive than most wheel manufacturers use.

It will look better with a set of 7mm front and rear without ANY issues whatsoever.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
+1 nice to see you're still into it sam! I'm still looking for a white Z4 ///M if you run into one

To the OP, I'm running a 12" rear wheel with 15mm spacers and 315s (rolled fenders with no rubbing). You'll be fine with stock, 7mm, 15mm and maybe even 21mm spacers if you roll the rear fenders.

Originally Posted by SamboTT
Correct. Spacers would only make it look better and no rubbing. You can do 7mm front and rear. Some people go 14mm+ with no problems on a lowered car even.

- GT-2 is an 18x12 ET 45. That translates to ET 33 on an 11in wheel. (lower # is more aggressive or outward)

If you used a 7mm spacer with the factory wheel it will make your ET 38. This is less aggressive than what wheel companies like HRE use on an 11in rear wheel. They use 30-35.

In the front you are ET 50 and with a 7mm spacer it will push to 43. 3-5mm less aggressive than most wheel manufacturers use.

It will look better with a set of 7mm front and rear without ANY issues whatsoever.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 06-28-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info! Any recommendations on where to get the 7mm spacers?

Originally Posted by SamboTT

Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Former Vendor
Hey Ari, yeah cant stay away!

Dreamtripper, try FVD or Vivid

Old 06-29-2011, 04:56 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ari
+1 nice to see you're still into it sam! I'm still looking for a white Z4 ///M if you run into one

To the OP, I'm running a 12" rear wheel with 15mm spacers and 315s (rolled fenders with no rubbing). You'll be fine with stock, 7mm, 15mm and maybe even 21mm spacers if you roll the rear fenders.
Ari- who rolled your fenders? And did they roll front and rear?

I'll be installing OEM GT2 wheels and GT2 size tires soon, sounds like rolling isn't totally necessary?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You'll probably need to roll the rears with GT2 wheels. I just bought a 2 lb mallet from home depot, covered the striking end with duct tape (a few layers) removed the rear wheels and went to work. Took all of 15 minutes.

I'm sure Dan at Speed Gallery can handle doing for you if it sounds too crazy... it's really pretty simple

Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ari
You'll probably need to roll the rears with GT2 wheels. I just bought a 2 lb mallet from home depot, covered the striking end with duct tape (a few layers) removed the rear wheels and went to work. Took all of 15 minutes.

I'm sure Dan at Speed Gallery can handle doing for you if it sounds too crazy... it's really pretty simple
I don't know if I'd have the guts to use that technique. I know they make a tool that does it in just a few minutes that keeps things looking very uniform and like it was done in a professional shop. Buy hey, if you're able to do it this way and ge the same results, more power to you. I just wouldn't trust myself to take a mallet to the car.

Well done though

Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I've got 315/30-18 on the rear on 11.5" rims...and 265/35-18 on 9" rims up front.

GT2 ride height too.

No fender rolling.

Go figure....I think it all depends on the offsets.

A