996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Potential 996 Turbo owner; looking for information and opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 PM
cullenmb is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the search. I just started looking too. Trying to find an 03-04 x50 with Tip or an 05 with Tip. For under $50k. Tough picking right now.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 PM
jbaker1121 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cullenmb
Good luck with the search. I just started looking too. Trying to find an 03-04 x50 with Tip or an 05 with Tip. For under $50k. Tough picking right now.
I'm in a similar boat. I actually dont mind if it's m/t now but it really depends on pricing. Also I've had bad luck with the last few I looked at that were "good" prices.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Btw- where did you get the wholesale and auction price info I saw earlier in the thread? I have a salesman from a local Porsche Dealer giving me some numbers for purchases from private parties and he has lead me to believe the 05 is in my price range given how low trades are being valued. I am not entirely surprised. Given the trade offers I had on my 03 Corvette I will either be starting my car museum with it or giving a great deal to the lucky buyer.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Btw- where did you get the wholesale and auction price info I saw earlier in the thread? I have a salesman from a local Porsche Dealer giving me some numbers for purchases from private parties and he has lead me to believe the 05 is in my price range given how low trades are being valued. I am not entirely surprised. Given the trade offers I had on my 03 Corvette I will either be starting my car museum with it or giving a great deal to the lucky buyer.
I got them from a dealer friend.
I am trying to get the newest I can without sacrificing low miles!
Originally this was going tobe a car for may father and I to share but mostly for him to use, and for me to upkeep and play with....but now since I am trying to live and study in NYC I may sell my car all together (09 Infiniti FX50, worth about $45k most likely) and get the Porsche for myself, since I will not need a car except for when I'm home any.... but this is all speculation and I have to wait and see what happens.

p.s. just found this, not sure what to make of it. An 01 tubo with GT2 and Techart parts, RWD conversion $50k I wish it were AWD
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-PORSCHE-911-TURBO-GT2-UPGRADES-PCCB-CERAMIC-BRAKES-6SPD-FULL-CARBON-FIBER-/110773250959?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19ca99ab8f

Last edited by jbaker1121; 11-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 PM
here's a few others:

I really like this one: it is a private sale though.....not sure how some people feel about that but it is CPO until 2012
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
if I had the 50K on hand right now I would most likely buy it....

here's another
not sure how I feel about the name of the dealer....

these are both slightly modified (the first is functional looks, but stock motor...the second is the x50 package but stock everything else)

I feel that it is ok to buy a modded one if it is slight, although I would prefer to start fresh

Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Too many mods for me but one of the coolest I've seen and I do not like black.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Too many mods for me but one of the coolest I've seen and I do not like black.
to be honest, I wouldn't get one with too many mods unless I was planning on going all out anyway.
in my last post, the first one is probably the most mods I would want to go with, or like the second one a simply x50 tune. Other than that I don't really want to buy somebody's project that they got bored of or couldn't afford to finish..
I want to start pretty fresh

and I loooove black

Old 11-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Take a look at this car. Not black but I drove it and the history on it is good. One owner. It was Gemballa Motorsports SEMA car from 2002. I was told they had room on the price. I don't want a manual as I really need more of a GT car for a daily driver, but this had a short throw shifter which I thought was amazing.

http://www.cavallomotorsports.com/ca...-gemballa.html

Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Take a look at this car. Not black but I drove it and the history on it is good. One owner. It was Gemballa Motorsports SEMA car from 2002. I was told they had room on the price. I don't want a manual as I really need more of a GT car for a daily driver, but this had a short throw shifter which I thought was amazing.

http://www.cavallomotorsports.com/ca...-gemballa.html
The yellow made me X out immediately... looked nice though.

I've actually been searching through the classifieds on this site and have been finding a few nice examples priced extremely well...

Old 11-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Curious - am I looking in the same site. Which ones do you think are well priced?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Curious - am I looking in the same site. Which ones do you think are well priced?
I looked through about 10 pages and found a few with decent miles, some with a few tasteful mods, all for a price lower than what you usually find on cars.com or something....I need to go back and save the actual links this time...
Sometimes I feel it may be better to buy private from an enthusiast who has taken care of their care than from a dealer that probably has been beating on it since they got it in....

I still am liking this one:

private sale, and modded for track use, but he has all fo the factory parts and is willing to include them with the sale... it's an 02 priced at $55k with 33kmiles, which I personally think is a little high but he's probably factoring in some of the parts + the fact he is including factory parts

Last edited by jbaker1121; 11-15-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I still am missing something. Not sure where in this forum I can find 10 pages of cars for sale. Is that in the garage or the classifieds (which is mostly dealers)?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:58 PM
I still am missing something. Not sure where in this forum I can find 10 pages of cars for sale. Is that in the garage or the classifieds (which is mostly dealers)?
right here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...biles-sale-29/
104+ pages of cars, there are turbos throughout.

SO I was speaking with another forum member and came across this car: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...che-turbo.html
I spoke with the owner, it looks like a really good deal.... plus it has a lot of goodies and it's a reputable tuning company who did the work and a reputable member selling it too bad it's in TEXAS I mean, my winter break is coming soon so maybe a nice flight to a warm place for a couple of days may be in order

also looking at this one in the boston area: but I spoke to the owner and not feeling the car's story...replaced motor at 65k miles, 15k on motor, but this current guy has only had it for a month...
Seems like a nice enough guy but am reluctant.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/2688241593.html
priced low to sell, down from $42k, stock except for coilovers and gt2 clutch...he says the new motor was misfiring with no CEL and they changed the plugs and it's fine now....but idk, he says hes a Porsche guy but has only had this car for a month and wants to dump it

Old 11-15-2011, 02:58 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...biles-sale-29/

Actually 475 pages...not all recent and not all Porsches,....use the search function and remember to look at the dates of the threads...some go back years and years...

Old 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...biles-sale-29/

Actually 475 pages...not all recent and not all Porsches,....use the search function and remember to look at the dates of the threads...some go back years and years...
^ that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential 996 Turbo owner; looking for information and opinions