996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Boost Leaks- how to find them... pics inside

Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Someone please move their Porsche tuning services to Atlanta please. Thanks.

Yes please go to Atlanta........DON'T come tuning your Porsche to El Salvador because,at the Dealer,they got confused with a VW

IT'S NOT A JOKE

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I will... I found more leaks now that I fixed the O ring to the TB leaking...
On top of the engine valves never sealing all the way, it seems like most turbos will leak from the cold side if you are putting compress air into the inlets. Therefore, I do not see how you will ever get the car to hold decent pressure, especially at high PSI

Old 10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
After following Markski's advice of boost testing, I found a small leak at the MAF and diverter valve and a large leak at my TB. Thanks Markski!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
After following Markski's advice of boost testing, I found a small leak at the MAF and diverter valve and a large leak at my TB. Thanks Markski!
No problem...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I'll need to do this before my tune. Thanks for the great thread.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't even own a TT yet (still looking) but I subscribed to this for future reference. Excellent information.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
Hi,
I tryed to do a plenum leak test but I think that any thing is wrong.

I lowered the engine, disconnet the Y-pipe and install the leak tool to the plenum. Next, put air but could not see/feel pressure inside the hoses. I listen the air run inside the plenum and hoses. I spray all the hoses and plenum with water+soap and couldn´t detect any leak.

If there are no leaks I think the air goes to inside the motor by engine intake, correct?

What are the correct procedures and fases to do a plenum leak test?

Regards,
VS

Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vshugo996
Hi,
I tryed to do a plenum leak test but I think that any thing is wrong.

I lowered the engine, disconnet the Y-pipe and install the leak tool to the plenum. Next, put air but could not see/feel pressure inside the hoses. I listen the air run inside the plenum and hoses. I spray all the hoses and plenum with water+soap and couldn´t detect any leak.

If there are no leaks I think the air goes to inside the motor by engine intake, correct?

What are the correct procedures and fases to do a plenum leak test?

Regards,
VS

Did you block off (seal) this hose?

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed.

I would probably disconnect the hose connected to the check valve portion of the venturi tube (to the left of the arrow in the pic above), as this check valve can leak, alternatively you can remove the clip and remove it further down the line and check it while pressure testing, either way. Mine was letting air pass, although it was not excessive @ 10-15 psi .. I went ahead and replaced it, the new one was air tight at the same PSI.

Originally Posted by TurboTodd

Last edited by JSBear; 03-21-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
USAF_TRobertson is on a distinguished road
Can we make this a sticky?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Speedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant future
Ok...still a noob to this platform...I bought Alan's 996TT, protosprt stuff, makes 640chp...I want to pressure test, I remember quite well from my RS6 days, boost leaks suck, and smokers dont test for real PSI....so, I can jack the back, pull the turbo inlet hoses, cap...remove Y pipe(TTboost kind enough to share his tester) and pressurize? sounds simple...soapy spray in windex. sounds about right?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Sending you boost leak tester and 2 blocks offs , 1 for each turbo. Already packed, so no pics...

Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Speedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant future
Mike....I owe ya beer...cheers!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:45 PM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Yes, I block this hose and the F hose too. However I can get pressure!!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Wow some of you still have leaks after all this reading? This is the first test anyone should do even before a tune!

This is free hp!

I have to agree this should be a Sticky

Last edited by UrbanHotrod; 03-21-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost Leaks- how to find them... pics inside