996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

front strut bearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:41 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Anyone got a set of used up top mounts? Prepping before swap would be easier but everything out there is new and NOT cheap lol.
Don't even waste your time. They are already a stupid design, only buy new.

For the pair, you should find them for around 450-500 if I recall. You may as well just convert the front to monoballs

Old 10-28-2016, 04:00 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
That's why I wanted the used up mounts, I'm switching to Elephant monoballs that fit to gutted stock mounts. I'm going to go ahead and have a local shop do it and am hoping my driver's side mount which has been clunking will accept it okay.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:32 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If you are having a "Clunk" coming from the mounts, check this out - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...g-wheel-3.html
It is a real simple issue when everything else is all setup properly. You may just have to do something to stop the spring from moving...

Old 10-29-2016, 09:31 AM
That's why I wanted the used up mounts, I'm switching to Elephant monoballs that fit to gutted stock mounts. I'm going to go ahead and have a local shop do it and am hoping my driver's side mount which has been clunking will accept it okay.

Do you still need a set? I may have in my "shop" I have to look

Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I think I'll be okay, I was considering doing the work myself and wanted a set to swap in the monoballs off the car. However it would still need an alignment and this shop is familiar with the work so I'm letting them do it. IF the driver's side piece can't be used I'll give you a shout about a used one, thanks!

In this case I know it's the mount and not the spring, I took the cover off and noted the top of the strut was way off and I could move it with a wrench. The rubber in the mount appears to have disintegrated, considering how I take off-ramps and the age I'm not terribly surprised I guess! I seriously considered just swapping in stock mounts but they cost even more than monoballs and I realized I've got monoball on another car and haven't minded the noise. The other car has great steering feel too so I figured I risk it after a great deal of pondering. Hoping this isn't a mistake but if it is John can tell me he warned me lol.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:36 AM
I think I'll be okay, I was considering doing the work myself and wanted a set to swap in the monoballs off the car. However it would still need an alignment and this shop is familiar with the work so I'm letting them do it. IF the driver's side piece can't be used I'll give you a shout about a used one, thanks!

In this case I know it's the mount and not the spring, I took the cover off and noted the top of the strut was way off and I could move it with a wrench. The rubber in the mount appears to have disintegrated, considering how I take off-ramps and the age I'm not terribly surprised I guess! I seriously considered just swapping in stock mounts but they cost even more than monoballs and I realized I've got monoball on another car and haven't minded the noise. The other car has great steering feel too so I figured I risk it after a great deal of pondering. Hoping this isn't a mistake but if it is John can tell me he warned me lol.

Yeah honestly it's a terrible design up there with the likes of a sealed IMS bearing IMO. The rubber moves which allows the strut to then move and when the bearing itself goes bad it allows the whole strut assembly to twist on the housing. Get out and look and have someone turn the wheel. It should all move effortlessly, if it binds, it's shot.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:35 AM
2002Chris996 is on a distinguished road
ChrisG997: Replace #13. and #11 if needed. YES DIY with spring compressor. I did the same on C2 without removing ball joints. May need to replace shocks if leaking.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:56 PM
This may be my first and last use of this shop, any guesses on an estimate to do the upper strut mounts with Elephant monoballs, toe links, toe locks, and LCA in the back. Alignment in there too for around $500 or so. They seemed real concerned in knowing if I was a do it right at any price guy or a do it for reasonable cost guy. Wanted to know how much work I did myself too, last time I walk into a shop in a damned suit methinks... Not got it back yet so we shall see but my spidey sense is tingling!

Old 11-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Got the car back. $900 to install Elephant monoballs in the stock strut pieces. One of them had worn to the point of no rubber, the other was shot. Labor rate is $120. Rear toe links were another $360 including locking plates, rear GT3 LCA with monoball and adjustable center thrust were $600. Alignment wasn't bad at $360. I'm thinking if I were to do it again I'd buy someone's bad mounts and install the bearings myself for a quick(er) swap.

The worst part - car is clunking up in the front left worse than before and it came home with a metallic screech from the passenger side that doesn't go away hitting the brakes or the e-brake. I'll start a clunk thread, screech I suspect won't be hard to track down!

P.S. They had trouble aligning the car for camber, I won't pollute this thread more but it's odd.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Wow, for that amount of $$$, there should be no noise at all! Some people say the monoballs will make a little mech. noise up front sometimes over bumps (knock on wood) I have never heard a sound from mine

Old 11-07-2016, 08:21 PM
The monoballs themselves weren't the cost, that was the labor to install them! The noise isn't from the monoballs, it's something else. Once that noise is solved I'll be able to tell if there's additional NVH from the strut monoballs. Based upon what I've felt in my Subaru I don't think it will be very bad although I'm told doing the rear is harsher and I don't intend to do those. I do have some semisolid RSS motor mounts to install though

Old 11-08-2016, 04:15 PM
r6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to all
Might be your ball joints making noise. When mine were shot they started making noise when it was really hot out or I drove it for quite a while. It just got worse. Good news is they are super easy to change bad news is your going to need an alignment. When I did my control arms ( ball joint isn't serviceable) I did my caster arms and tie rod ends as well.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:13 PM
I hope to be able to jack up that corner tomorrow evening, if not it'll be the weekend. I feel nothing through the wheel even with the monoballs. Could be the droplink maybe? Hoping it's not the shock somehow or the wheelbearing. Not driving it until I know what's up.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:17 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Could definitely be a drop link. Be sure to raise the whole front end so that you are not preloading the sway bar.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:41 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Got the car back. $900 to install Elephant monoballs in the stock strut pieces.
Wow.

All of the "full replacement" monoball strut mounts are in the $500 ballpark aren't they?

Sounds like the Elephant monoballs are only a good idea if DIYing. Otherwise the plug and play replacement mounts (OEM or aftermarket monoball) are the better option. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: front strut bearing