6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/259384-what-does-take-get-200-mph-top-speed-996-twin-turbo.html)

Meeyatch1 11-04-2011 09:13 PM

What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?

I know this questions may seem odd, but I have a dream in my life to own and drive a car at over 200 mph, and have tentatively settled on the 996 Twin Turbo as the best platform for that. Why? Having previously had a standard 993 Carrera 4, I was impressed with how stable it was at 180 mph, and figured that the 996 platform should be equally stable, but with more 'kick' courtesy of the twin turbos. Do people really need a car that fast? Probably not....but I do.

As I understand it, the 996 Twin Turbo in stock form is capable of somewhere in the 186 - 192 mph range. What would be the recommended path to getting the top speed around 205 - 210 mph? Are there any non-power making parts that are recommended to keep the car running cool with the increased power? What about suspension or aero related pieces?

I appreciate any assistance, and recommendations to parts or shops that members here have used with success.

MBailey 11-04-2011 09:19 PM

It takes only around 400-425whp to get an absolute top speed of 200mph.

If you want to get 200 at the Tx mile you will need 650-750 whp depending on conditions

BlackHorseTurbo 11-04-2011 09:29 PM

Money, balls and a lot of patience. Many shops have gotten their 996TT's to 200 in the Mile.

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1 (Post 3363604)
I know this questions may seem odd, but I have a dream in my life to own and drive a car at over 200 mph, and have tentatively settled on the 996 Twin Turbo as the best platform for that. Why? Having previously had a standard 993 Carrera 4, I was impressed with how stable it was at 180 mph, and figured that the 996 platform should be equally stable, but with more 'kick' courtesy of the twin turbos. Do people really need a car that fast? Probably not....but I do.

As I understand it, the 996 Twin Turbo in stock form is capable of somewhere in the 186 - 192 mph range. What would be the recommended path to getting the top speed around 205 - 210 mph? Are there any non-power making parts that are recommended to keep the car running cool with the increased power? What about suspension or aero related pieces?

I appreciate any assistance, and recommendations to parts or shops that members here have used with success.

LCatGA 11-04-2011 10:27 PM

24/18g or better 24/20g turbos, better Intercoolers, exhaust and tune and you should be there powerwise.
You will need a very long place of the SAFE OPEN road - will take you mor than a mile to get there.

I would highly recommend better suspension and good tires though :)))))))))))

Duane996tt 11-05-2011 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by MBailey (Post 3363609)

If you want to get 200 at the Tx mile you will need 650-750 whp depending on conditions

As stated above if you have plenty of straigth flat road you can hit 200mph with minor mods (flash and exhaust will do it). If you want to run 200mph at the TX mile you need much more in power mods and lots of duct tape to seal over every tiny little seam in the front of the car. Wind resistance is your major enemy. With the HP demands of the TX mile you're concern should be also be focused on engine internals as these take a major stress test.

Suspension mods that get you lower to the ground help as you have less wind running under the car which is not as "smooth" as the running wind over the top of the car.

As a side note the aero kits as well as wide wheels and tires work well in a road course situation but actually will cost you absolute top end speed (ie wind resistance sacrificed to achieve down force). Cooling of the engine holding a steady speed/rpm (even a very high speed) is not usually a problem. You've got so much air running over the radiators and intercoolers it's not an issue (assuming you're not running accross the desert in near triple digit heat). It's all the acceleration and deceleration on a road course that strains the cooling system (and brakes, tranny, tires etc).

biobanker 11-05-2011 05:22 AM

Hi Mitch!!!

I sold my NSX in the spring and picked up a 996TT.

I'm giddy with the car. Give me a shout if you want to discuss my impressions after ripping around in it for a few months.

Tim941NYC 11-05-2011 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by MBailey (Post 3363609)

correct. stocker and 4 or 5 miles of flat wit no head wind.

Meeyatch1 11-05-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by biobanker (Post 3363728)
Hi Mitch!!!

I sold my NSX in the spring and picked up a 996TT.

I'm giddy with the car. Give me a shout if you want to discuss my impressions after ripping around in it for a few months.

Hey man! Shoot your number over and I will give you a call. We are also considering a move to Canada on a full time basis, so I guess this would be an all weather beast. Are you putting snow tires on yours? Ripping down the 400 with that kind of power will be fun. :)

Meeyatch1 11-05-2011 08:52 AM

Thank you for the replies so far. Some great information, especially the part about aero kits actually harming my ability to hit the higher speeds quickly.

To clarify, I want to be able to reach 200 mph at the Texas Mile, so I guess one could call that the 'brute force' approach to speed. My E63 AMG without the limiter can reach 186 mph with enough road, but something about having that ability to go from a standing start to 200 mph in 1 mile has been calling my name, and I have to get there.

As far as suspension, and getting lower to the ground, I have heard both positives and negatives about coilover suspensions. While these would serve to easily get me lower to the ground, would the spring rates and rebound of the shocks make the car significantly more 'edgy' at super high speeds? The stability of the 911 at high speeds is one of the major pluses in my eyes.

johnspeed 11-05-2011 08:57 AM

I believe my car now will do 200mph....I also do believe you would need a higher rev limit then stock to see that,my raised rev limiter did help......I have had it to 181mph on my speedo[ its probably higher because of the 1'' bigger dia. tires] hitting the rev limiter in 5th and then in 6th 'pulling' still to 190mph but ran out of room.....Can not wait to see 200mph,,,so does the traffic cop that will be hiding/waiting for me somewhere .......lol......hilarious

nick49 11-05-2011 10:55 AM

Curious to know, do you want to see 200 on the speedo or know you without a doubt officially traveled that speed?

200 on the speedo is most likely actually between 180-185 mph on a good day. Years ago, 1985 I raced at Bonneville Salt Flats on a Honda 1000cc motorcycle. I did 3 runs and all of them speedo eclipsed 170 mph. My best official was 148.546 mph. My speedo was driven off front wheel. Most all speedos have a built in error factor of around 5-12%.

johnspeed 11-05-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by nick49 (Post 3363886)
Curious to know, do you want to see 200 on the speedo or know you without a doubt officially traveled that speed?

200 on the speedo is most likely actually between 180-185 mph on a good day. Years ago, 1985 I raced at Bonneville Salt Flats on a Honda 1000cc motorcycle. I did 3 runs and all of them speedo eclipsed 170 mph. My best official was 148.546 mph. My speedo was driven off front wheel. Most all speedos have a built in error factor of around 5-12%.

Yes you have a point,,But it would still be nice to see that number on the dash...But from all that I have read,,they are pretty close?? Besides since I have 1" taller tires I would actually be going faster then what it would be with smaller factory dia. tires,,the speedo is ''suppose'' to be calibrated for the factory tires.....A GPS system is probably the right way to find out on the road.......

nick49 11-05-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by johnspeed (Post 3363908)
Yes you have a point,,But it would still be nice to see that number on the dash...But from all that I have read,,they are pretty close?? Besides since I have 1" taller tires I would actually be going faster then what it would be with smaller factory dia. tires,,the speedo is ''suppose'' to be calibrated for the factory tires.....A GPS system is probably the right way to find out on the road.......

The Porsche dealer can recalibrate a speedo to be more accurate. My wife's '99 Boxster was recalibrated at the dealer by a tech I know back in '01. I checked it against a GPS and it's within about 1% at 85MPH. I know also this will vary with tire pressure, wear and brand.

johnspeed 11-05-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by nick49 (Post 3363951)
The Porsche dealer can recalibrate a speedo to be more accurate. My wife's '99 Boxster was recalibrated at the dealer by a tech I know back in '01. I checked it against a GPS and it's within about 1% at 85MPH. I know also this will vary with tire pressure, wear and brand.

HI,Great,Thanks......Good to know

MBailey 11-05-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by nick49 (Post 3363951)

This good to know.

I "fixed" my speedo by installing 315/30s on the rear which have roughly 2% greater circumference than stock. Speedo is now less than 1% high.